Baldur's Gate 3

Ruki

I'm sure I'll get past it but I'm finally having some trouble and having my whole party killed. Not giving up but if anyone wants to give me some tips I'd take em :) I'll put the two parts that kicked my butt in spoilers

Spoiler

I played the lute for the comatose guy and he babbled some stuff which made Halsin realize we needed to meet by the river to cure the shadow curse. So I had to guard the portal while he went in then like 10 million shadows showed up. My party was doing fine with it but I have no idea how to keep the portal safe. They just kept shooting it from really far away until it exploded and Halsin apparently died. Well I'm not ok with that so I loaded my previous save and thought maybe I'd level a little before going back to that.

The next big thing I tried was the Gauntlet of Shar. I was making progress until I stumbled on the demon Raphael wants us to kill. I had no plans to fight him but I failed a persuasion roll and him and all his buddies just beat us down! They all start on the high ground which is totally unfair :( Is it possible to talk him out of fighting if I make the rolls for it?

58 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I'm sure I'll get past it but I'm finally having some trouble and having my whole party killed. Not giving up but if anyone wants to give me some tips I'd take em :) I'll put the two parts that kicked my butt in spoilers

Hide contents

I played the lute for the comatose guy and he babbled some stuff which made Halsin realize we needed to meet by the river to cure the shadow curse. So I had to guard the portal while he went in then like 10 million shadows showed up. My party was doing fine with it but I have no idea how to keep the portal safe. They just kept shooting it from really far away until it exploded and Halsin apparently died. Well I'm not ok with that so I loaded my previous save and thought maybe I'd level a little before going back to that.

The next big thing I tried was the Gauntlet of Shar. I was making progress until I stumbled on the demon Raphael wants us to kill. I had no plans to fight him but I failed a persuasion roll and him and all his buddies just beat us down! They all start on the high ground which is totally unfair :( Is it possible to talk him out of fighting if I make the rolls for it?

1. I've not seen that part, but a cleric casting Spirit Guardians sounds like it would just tear through that situation.

2. You can avoid the entire encounter with I think 3 checks. Each one removes an element of the fight. And managing to do it will help with a difficult mission in act 3.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

1. I've not seen that part, but a cleric casting Spirit Guardians sounds like it would just tear through that situation.

How have you not seen that part?

Srar, for the portal, as others have said, AOE spells are super useful, glyph of warding is great to use here, as is having Shadowheart cast spirit guardians (making sure its RADIANT damage) and just parking her up by the portal.   If you have Guardian of Faith, casting that right in front of the portal will keep anything from getting to it for awhile.  I forget what its called but I have armor for Shadowheart that adds to any radiant damage she does, so even a spell like guiding bolt with her will be strong, and I got it around the time of that fight.

Your priority #1 in that fight has to be identifying and killing archers, as they can wreck the portal in a few turns without ever being anywhere close to it.  Two spawn towards the top of the battlefield in a corners, and can get hidden by bushes and trees.   This is a fight you can set up the field for before triggering it, so toss some explosive or oil barrels around too. 

• Like 1

I am working on the second one right now and damn it is so hard! I messed up talking the guy down and then said I would help him but I don't want to help him now because I'm sure Astorian will be pissed. So it seems my only options are pissing him off or somehow winning a damn near impossible fight :( 

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

I never spoke to Halsin in my camp during act 2, so I never got his quest and never got a chance to recruit him!

Hmm seems rude of you.

38 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I am working on the second one right now and damn it is so hard! I messed up talking the guy down and then said I would help him but I don't want to help him now because I'm sure Astorian will be pissed. So it seems my only options are pissing him off or somehow winning a damn near impossible fight :( 

Leave everyone but one person outside, even better if you have a summon or something that can aggro them to get the fight started and have your whole party outside.  That will give you a choke point to work with as all the enemies will have to file out the door and down the steps.  If you have anyone that can cast spike growth, its pretty useful there too.

• Like 1

Good news and bad news.

Good: I finished the whole gauntlet section! :w00t:

Bad: The portal thing seemed like it was going to work out this time but I missed one archer and on the very last turn they did like 40 damage and I failed again. I was furious! Had to take a break. I know I've benefited from huge critical hits but when it happens to you it's so unfair! :crying:

55 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I stormed Moonrise along with the Harpers and after we killed everyone on the first floor one of the Harpers accused me of murder and threw me in prison.

Thinking I have to load my previous save :( 

A similar thing happened to me. After the fight a Harper ran into an electrified puddle and took some damage, then all the Harper's turned on me. 

10 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I don't like having to look up solutions but last night I made it to the room underneath the magic book shop and yeah that makes no fucking sense to me

Oh, with all the teleporting? Yeah, don't feel bad, I didn't get it either. 

• Thanks 1

Been working through the Goblin Camp 

Spoiler

Opted to kill the 3 leaders. 2 down, just one to go. Killing the Priestess was simple when I took my whole party to her room, and it led me to the Underdark. Neat!

Of course after that the entire sanctum was on alert for me and made it a tad harder to get the drow (forget her name).

I wasn't sure about switching to non-lethal attacks and was wondering if I should've done that for the non-leaders, but the goblins are established as pretty awful folks who burn and pillage and put dwarves on skewers so I guess fuck 'em.

Next playthrough I'll be on their side I guess... 

• Like 1