Baldur's Gate 3

Ruki

1 hour ago, FestiveJack said:

Experimenting with multiclassing, my Astarion is going to end up the most goth character in existence. Gloom stalker assassin? Yes please.

I will, however, be dying all of his equipment yellow and baby blue.

He was pure assassin for me and did stupid amounts of damage. But adding gloomstalker into that is dirty.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spoilers for early Act 2 and lessons in save scumming

Spoiler

Lae'zel had been my heavy hitter for a good while.  Could chain together a lot of attacks with her that would make short work of enemies.  True Soul Neer lasted two rounds when we fought because of it.  So I can't say I'm happy that she turned on me and I had to kill her.

I got greedy with save scumming.  First time I let her get purified first, but then decided I wanted to see what happened if my main character do it instead.  Well, because I did that, Lae'zel never learns the Githyanki were trying to kill her via purification, and thus when the Queen makes an appearance, she instantly turns on the party and we had to kill her.  Can't revive, journal confirms her story is over.  I don't know for sure that something different would have happened if I let Lae'zel get purified first, but I'm pretty sure that would be the case.

I opted not to save scum around this, because sometimes you have to play with the cards you are dealt, and part of the fun of this game is figuring out how to deal with what it throws at you.  I brought in a hireling Paladin, who I fear is going to immediately be OP, so we'll see how that goes.   If he's too strong, I'll go back to using someone from the core group.

• Like 1

Could also just hire the monk or wild magic sorcerer.

Early Act 2 Question/Interpretations of Events

Spoiler

The druids are massive dicks right?  First they want to kick the Tieflings out and the Tieflings are worried the goblins will kill them.   I know the reasoning behind that, and solved it, and the goblin problems.   So now the Tieflings can be on their merry way to Baldur's Gate.   Except the only way to Baldur's Gate is through the Shadow Cursed Lands, which the Druids absolutely know are a terrible and incredibly dangerous.  Haslin especially knows this.

And yet none of them bat an eye when a caravan of Tieflings decide to travel through it?   Dicks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

Could also just hire the monk or wild magic sorcerer.

Early Act 2 Question/Interpretations of Events

Hide contents

The druids are massive dicks right?  First they want to kick the Tieflings out and the Tieflings are worried the goblins will kill them.   I know the reasoning behind that, and solved it, and the goblin problems.   So now the Tieflings can be on their merry way to Baldur's Gate.   Except the only way to Baldur's Gate is through the Shadow Cursed Lands, which the Druids absolutely know are a terrible and incredibly dangerous.  Haslin especially knows this.

And yet none of them bat an eye when a caravan of Tieflings decide to travel through it?   Dicks!

Spoiler

Kagha isn't actually a druid from the Grove - she's a Shadow Druid, a faction of druids who think plants are more important than people and would happily kill all people to protect nature. She's infiltrated the grove on behalf of that faction - in Moonrise there's a book or scroll that details the Absolute's efforts to "take the grove off the table" or something similar, that talks about reaching out to the Shadow Druids.

Additional stuff that's more game-walkthrough-y

Spoiler

There's a quest you can do if you pry about the ritual when talking to her where you'll end up - after fighting the Wood Woad and Mud Mephits - a letter to Kagha revealing the conspiracy. You need to do this before rescuing Halsin or siding with the Goblins - go back to the Grove and confront her. You can either fight her, which leads to a 6v6 fight (Kagha, two druids who her support her and 3 Shadow Druids) or convince her to change her ways, leading to a 9v3 fight (the 3 Shadow Druids vs your party and everyone else there). Convincing her gets you some unique gear you won't get if you attack her.

Edit: this also helps with Zevlor's quest to kill Kagha - you can spare her and still succeed the quest.

9 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Astarion's voice actor has claimed that there's a secret two-hour section of the game that nobody appears to have found yet. It seemingly requires a very specific set of steps to find. I hope this leads to a wild goose chase the likes of which we haven't seen since Pokemon Red and Blue.

Goose you say?

20 minutes ago, FestiveJack said:
  Hide contents

Kagha isn't actually a druid from the Grove - she's a Shadow Druid, a faction of druids who think plants are more important than people and would happily kill all people to protect nature. She's infiltrated the grove on behalf of that faction - in Moonrise there's a book or scroll that details the Absolute's efforts to "take the grove off the table" or something similar, that talks about reaching out to the Shadow Druids.

Additional stuff that's more game-walkthrough-y

Hide contents

There's a quest you can do if you pry about the ritual when talking to her where you'll end up - after fighting the Wood Woad and Mud Mephits - a letter to Kagha revealing the conspiracy. You need to do this before rescuing Halsin or siding with the Goblins - go back to the Grove and confront her. You can either fight her, which leads to a 6v6 fight (Kagha, two druids who her support her and 3 Shadow Druids) or convince her to change her ways, leading to a 9v3 fight (the 3 Shadow Druids vs your party and everyone else there). Convincing her gets you some unique gear you won't get if you attack her.

Edit: this also helps with Zevlor's quest to kill Kagha - you can spare her and still succeed the quest.

That's how I resolved it those quests.  Doesn't really change my perception of the druids being dicks.

Spoiler

Even after the reveal of Shadow Druids, the mood was still lets ugh how long are these Tieflings staying?   And it says nothing of the bigger issue of Haslin being fully aware of the horrendous shadow curse and still being like "Hey good luck on your trip guys"

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

That's how I resolved it those quests.  Doesn't really change my perception of the druids being dicks.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I kinda agree but at a certain point they gotta try to get to Baldur's Gate for the narrative. The game could probably do a better job at explaining that the refugees are trying to get to Baldur's Gate and were forced to stop at the Grove due to the goblin army.

18 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Astarion's voice actor has claimed that there's a secret two-hour section of the game that nobody appears to have found yet. It seemingly requires a very specific set of steps to find. I hope this leads to a wild goose chase the likes of which we haven't seen since Pokemon Red and Blue.

There's been an update on that. The clip of him saying that is from closer to release, and the section he's talking about is...

Spoiler

The Monastery and getting the Blood Of Lathander

• 2 weeks later...

Just started this and I am a little annoyed. Anytime I actually accept a quest half my party is like "Fuck that! We do things now?!?" and like I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I need to do things to level don't I? But like everyone hates me because they don't get to be lazy assholes

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Just started this and I am a little annoyed. Anytime I actually accept a quest half my party is like "Fuck that! We do things now?!?" and like I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I need to do things to level don't I? But like everyone hates me because they don't get to be lazy assholes

Yeah, some of the early party members (Lae'zel, Astarion, and to a degree Shadowheart) are all grumpy butts when you want to help people. Wyll, Karlach, Gale are much more all about helping people. In the grand scheme of things, unless you get them to super negative approval, it won't do anything I think? I went through the game as a goody two-shoes, picking the good/heroic options, and I kept everyone.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I went back to where I thought it was and there was nothing there. It was possible I was in the wrong spot but after a few minutes of looking I got frustrated and moved on with who I had

If you get un-frustrated and want a wizard in the party (with a relatively interesting backstory), you will find him here (coordinates (X: 222, Y: 325))

image.png

• Thanks 1