Baldur's Gate 3

Ruki

Ok tried again and I finished the game! :D Really enjoyed the ending I got and overall it was a really great experience. My original desire to start another playthrough right away is completely gone though after some of those late game issues. I still think I'll be coming back to this one for years to come but I for sure need something less frustrating next

• Like 1

I'm sorry y'all are having the issues with the crashing, that is such a pain, especially with how long some of the fights can be. On PC, I don't recall having any crashes, but I DID have to drop a bunch of the settings once I hit act 3. 

A bit about my ending

Spoiler

It really ran me through an emotional roller-coaster. I cheered when the mind flayers were weakened allowing the townsfolk to fight back, I admired the hell out of orpheus and then felt sad when I granted his request to kill him, was over the moon for Lae'Zel being called on to lead her people, then got emotional when I realized that meant I had to let her go but then it all felt worth the sadness for me because she said because of me she felt warmth in her heart instead of rage for the first time and that she would never forget me :crying: 

I will say though they played Astarion having to run away and leave us so he didn't burn up in the sun for comedy which I found very odd but outside of that it was everything I could have hoped for and I was very happy that my fear the Gith and Lae'zel would hate me for not becoming a mind flayer were unfounded :) 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

A bit about my ending

Hide contents

It really ran me through an emotional roller-coaster. I cheered when the mind flayers were weakened allowing the townsfolk to fight back, I admired the hell out of orpheus and then felt sad when I granted his request to kill him, was over the moon for Lae'Zel being called on to lead her people, then got emotional when I realized that meant I had to let her go but then it all felt worth the sadness for me because she said because of me she felt warmth in her heart instead of rage for the first time and that she would never forget me :crying: 

I will say though they played Astarion having to run away and leave us so he didn't burn up in the sun for comedy which I found very odd but outside of that it was everything I could have hoped for and I was very happy that my fear the Gith and Lae'zel would hate me for not becoming a mind flayer were unfounded :) 

Spoiler

Yeah, Astarion being used as a comedy bit kinda irked me. I also would have preferred a "down the line" update on the characters, not just immediate aftermath. 

• Like 1

In Act 2

Spoiler

Felt like the game basically forces you to protect Isobel and not let her get captured. The number of people who turn to shadows is far, far too high to have a reasonable chance against.

Fortunately second time through the battle it was very easy to protect her.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

The new update adds a custom difficulty mode, which lets you adjust several aspects of the game through various sliders. If only Elden Ring had that too.

I looked at the custom difficulty options, and it seems like it will be really good!

I also re-loaded and completed the final boss fight so I could see the epilogue! 

• Like 1

The Dark Urge

Spoiler

I found myself curious about how different it really is so I started a new game. I killed Gale because fuck it I can live without Gale so I might as well embrace this and I let the girl murder the Goblin in the prison cell but then I came to the Arabella scene and it was like "wouldn't it be funny if we let the snake kill her?" Had to draw the line there. I mean the point is you have the urge not that you always have to embrace it right?

Right? :crying: 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Your Mom said:

The Dark Urge

Hide contents

I found myself curious about how different it really is so I started a new game. I killed Gale because fuck it I can live without Gale so I might as well embrace this and I let the girl murder the Goblin in the prison cell but then I came to the Arabella scene and it was like "wouldn't it be funny if we let the snake kill her?" Had to draw the line there. I mean the point is you have the urge not that you always have to embrace it right?

Right? :crying: 

Yeah, that scene was hard to watch. 

OK, I have a question. 

I'm watching reviews of the game. It seems interesting, but in reviews of the game, it seems to have performance issues (stuttering, bugs). Has some of these been addressed? Are there performance issues on PS5/Series X?

Second question- there is a lot of praise for the game and its depth in story. But when I watch clips from the game, the mo cap / voice recordings / cut scenes seems off at points. Like the sound for dialogue some portion of dialogue seems to vary in quality greatly. It feels like a game that is ambitious in scope, but some portions of it may be a little less polished. Is that accurate? Also is that equal amongst side quests versus main quest? (Ie, there is a lot more polish on the main quest)

I want to play this game, but I have found Divinity Original Sin games to have varying quality in portions of the game which took me out of the games. 

1. On the Series X, I don't really have any issues with performance playing just myself. Adding co-op into it locally changes that up, but it's still good for the most part especially for what it lets you do.

2. There's currently a fairly bad bug going on for the Xbox that seems to be wiping saves tied to the Cloud save feature that should hopefully get sorted soon.

3. Some of what you are seeing could be earlier bits of gameplay, etc. Many think that this game came out a bit too early, with an ESPECIALLY rough act III. There was a big patch recently that kind of cleaned that up big time, and added some features to the end of the game that likely should've been there in the first place.

• Like 2

Bought the game a few days ago and I have a couple of questions.

Is offensive magic ever good in BG3? I've found healing and buffing useful but offensive magic really weak. You often have to be stood a lot closer than I'd have expected for the magic to reach enemies and then you can only cast a few times before you're out of spell slots. And if your mage gets trapped next to an enemy it's essentially game over for them.

I made a ranger and have been using Astarion and Lae'zel. My character and Astarion do a lot of long distance fighting and Lae'zel tanks/does some serious damage in close range. No one has really leapt out as a reliable fourth character in battles. Can you make another character besides the Origins to join your team?

Regarding offensive magic, it becomes incredibly potent later on. The early spells are much more focused on debuffing/buffing, but you should hopefully have a cantrip that will let your spellcaster stay back and snipe.

Eventually it's the healing spells that become kind of useless and the offensive spells & buffing spells that become the core of any spellcaster.

• Like 2