Steam/PC Mega Thread 2024

28 minutes ago, apsham said:
  Hide contents

Oh god!  That's good to know, sometimes I skip it because it isn't the right one.

Does the blank voucher do anything? I always buy it when I have extra cash.

Spoiler

You'll unlock the Antimatter joker if you redeem the blank voucher 10 times, which will give you an extra joker slot.

• Like 1

I finally won! A lucky combination of Jokers had me getting something like 300 chips and a ridiculous stack of multipliers. Now to never touch this game again lest it consume my being.

• Like 3

If you like Stardew Valley you should definitely check out Travelers Rest.  While it took me a few hours to get into because the tutorial kinda sucks, its really fun.

Instead of running a farm, you're running a medieval tavern, which you can expand to being an inn.  You can farm ingredients  to make foods or various beers/wines/distilled liquors.  

The brewing/distilling/cooking system is surprisingly indepth.  

As your tavern expands, you can hire staff to do things, to the point it basically runs itself while you go out to get more recipes or ingredients.

There are a few things I don't like.  It uses a fuel system for crafting, which really sucks unless you build items to balance it out

• Like 4

I finally FINALLY beat my first game of Balatro last night.

I actually had an amazing run that was based entirely on the Joker that lets you use a discard to get rid of a single card, combined with the helix that could clone a card if you only play just one - so I had Full House built up massively, was removing cards all the time, and was cloning high value face cards. I had a great combo going on and made it to the final ante... which was another very massive one. I don't think I would've been able to beat it, but I had the voucher that let me re-roll once... and it gave me a boss ante that forced one card to be played every time.

I ended up losing 5 points short of the win.

I was going to put the game down (for I don't know how long) but then I ended up getting the win on a game that felt like I was just barely squeaking by the entire time. The only real multiplier I had was one that grew every time I used a planet card, but then 1/2 way through I got a legendary joker that disabled all boss blind powers - and I had my flush levelled up to level 10 along with the Joker that made all red cards and all black cards the same.

• Like 4

Still obsessed with Balatro. Gold stake is ridiculously hard and I'm sure I've pumped like 50+ hours into it at this point. So many times I've come SO close to winning and losing at the ante 8 boss. I need a break but I need to WIN.

• Like 2

On 17/03/2024 at 15:57, Owen said:

Still obsessed with Balatro. Gold stake is ridiculously hard and I'm sure I've pumped like 50+ hours into it at this point. So many times I've come SO close to winning and losing at the ante 8 boss. I need a break but I need to WIN.

I've genuinely sunk at least 12 hours into the game since I said this. Yes, I'm obsessed with the game BUT...

image.png

I finally won on gold stake let's gooooo!!! Verdant Leaf was a nice one. I had Oops All 6s which helped with the Bloodstone. Sold that to get rid of the debuff and used my create a joker tarot, giving me the gold joker which was a lil useless but! didn't matter! I had the joker stencil earlier as well, but as I had 6/6 jokers otherwise it didn't do anything so sold that, having the Negative Blueprint with the Card Sharp, as well as Supernova and Bloodstone was an absolute elite combo on checkered deck so I'm veeeeery glad it led to the win.

• Like 2

There's a Humble Bundle out for the EDF series which is basically a mindless shooter essentially set in the midst of a 1950's sci-fi B-movie about giant bugs, space aliens and Godzilla adjacent monsters, featuring such classic dialogue as "Do you like death? Then die!"

At the very least I'd suggest throwing down the buck that will get you EDF 4.1 because you'll get your moneys worth even if you only spend a couple of hours screwing around shooting giant ants. If you pay top whack then you get 4.1, Wingdiver The Shooter, Iron Rain, 5 and World Brothers plus some DLC which for only £14 though is a pretty good value considering some of those later titles still go for like £15 on their own during Steam sales despite being out a while.

I already bought Iron Rain last year so I have a spare key now if anyone's interested, hit me up. Iron Rain is one of those weird ones like Insect Armageddon where a western studio got their hands on it and learnt the wrong lesson from the general "IT'S LIKE A PS2 GAME!" feedback people have about the series so decided to try and throw a bunch of graphics at it. Still, decent enough entry to the series.

EDIT: I actually already owned Wingdiver the Shooter as well so someone is free to have that as well I guess, though that is a spin off top down shooter type thing so not quite the same thing as the core series.

On 18/03/2024 at 16:54, Owen said:

I've genuinely sunk at least 12 hours into the game since I said this. Yes, I'm obsessed with the game BUT...

image.png

I finally won on gold stake let's gooooo!!! Verdant Leaf was a nice one. I had Oops All 6s which helped with the Bloodstone. Sold that to get rid of the debuff and used my create a joker tarot, giving me the gold joker which was a lil useless but! didn't matter! I had the joker stencil earlier as well, but as I had 6/6 jokers otherwise it didn't do anything so sold that, having the Negative Blueprint with the Card Sharp, as well as Supernova and Bloodstone was an absolute elite combo on checkered deck so I'm veeeeery glad it led to the win.

I just managed a win with High Card as my go to somehow!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

I just managed a win with High Card as my go to somehow!

Nice! I've absolutely never got anywhere close to doing that. I always rely on flushes. I'm just too used to it. I sometimes get High Card to the double digits in levels but still prefer to rely on Flushes because I know where I am with them! It's probably why I lose so often! I've finally managed to win on all decks now, though, so that's great!

Just managed to get my last win on the Anaglyph deck tonight, with the most ridiculous starting hand. I was planning on buying two jokers in the last shop I was at (to counteract Verdant Leaf so I had a card to sell...), but realised I didn't have enough money to buy two. I thought 'screw it', figured I'd probably lost. I noticed that ante 8's big blind had the juggle tag and I had accrued seven double tags... which let to this:image.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ruki said:

I remember getting that game on release for the 360, but it was way too janky. 

I bought in on Steam back in early 2017.

Looked earlier, and I played it for a whopping 86 minutes. 

• Like 1

Alpha Protocol did some impressive things with its choice system. It's just a shame the gameplay was so cumbersome and full of bugs. I'd be curious to see how a remake with the safety net of Microsoft's backing would turn out.

• Like 3

...you know what that stat seems wildly off too because looking at my hand of 7 Jokers I also had the card that thins your deck and gives you money every time you play just one card, so I feel like that should've been high car even. But somehow, this seems to be the case - yeah.

• Like 1

On April 4th, Epic Games is going to be giving away two games: The Outer Worlds Spacer's Choice Edition, and Thief.

Basically, just check their website store every week; they give away one or two games for free.

The current freebie is a game called Islets.

• Like 1