Why support a sports team?

Lord Nibbler

Why do you supports sports teams?

I can understand supporting players or managers who you think are good, but where's the rationale behind supporting a team/club?

If my favourite band kicked out all the members and replaced them with shit musicians, I wouldn't buy their records any more. But as over time your favourite team replaces the players, you continue to support the CLUB. Why?

Trying to compare bands to teams is like comparing apples and chairs. They have NOTHING in common.

I support my local teams because when I was growing up, they were all winners. Lakers, Raiders, Dodgers, Kings, all winning. The 80s made Los Angeles the 'City of Champions', and as a little kid, that leaves an impression on you. Even know, with the Raiders, Kings, and Dodgers going through down time, I still support them, because I am attached to them.

Because, It is called pride. Do you go to your high school football games? If you do, why?

When in school, if you have a penny drive between your grade and the other grades, do you care?

That team represents your city, if the do bad, then your city looks bad. When they do good, your city looks good.

Pride is why you like them.

Part tradition, part pride, part emotion. Supporting the local team is like taking care of something that is yours and yours alone.

The only sports team people around here care about are the Maple Leafs. We support them through thick and thin, even if we act like armchair GMs/coaches and bitch the team out most of the time. Win or lose, the true fans will always be there.

Its a shame that it will probably awhile before I sit in the ACC and enjoy some real sporting excitement.

Oh well, I guess the Raptors will do for now.

I support the teams I grew up with. I grew up watching the Patriots and Red Sox, therefore as I got older I continued watching them and enjoying. Since I didn't watch much of the Bruins and Celtics, I dont really support them that much, and I dont watch much of either team or sport althogether.

Short answer for it (and one I think a lot of the New England area will back me up):

No matter who's playing on the field, who's coaching the team, sometimes, the good guys win. When that occurs, it's UNBELIEVABLE.

Edited by Reflecto

I don't know about anyone else, but I grew to love my favorite teams (Packers, Yankees, Celtics) because they were favorites of people I grew up with.

The first sport I ever really watched a lot was baseball. My grandmother was a huge Yankees fan and I always used to watch the games with her. Many moons later I still find myself cheering the Yankees.

Basketball was next and I always heard my mother talking about Larry Bird and the Celtics. Again, I find myself cheering the Celtics through all these years.

How many times have you watched the Packers on thanksgiving day? Now, how many times have you celebrated thanksgiving with your relatives? My uncle was a big Packers fan and my mom and grandmother were Eagles fans ... and ... well ... I guess it's because I don't like birds. I chose the Packers.

I also realized that all of my favorite teams hold the records for most title wins in their respective sports. (I realized this after I became a fan, mind you. :-x)

I really don't support my local teams very much. The Eagles I HATE with a passion. The Steelers ... well, I can tolerate them. The Sixers I can watch and sometimes find myself rooting for. (Unless they're playing the Celtics. ;-)) And the Phillies and the Pirates ... are the Phillies and the Pirates.

And I hate hockey.

My granfather supported Sunderland (soccer) i never got to meet him.

My dad supported the Washington Redskins (NFL), its a tradition.

I have a Green Bay shirt because they are the first team i saw. Green Bay vs. Miami Dolphins, ... Ricky Williams won.

i think there is no real explenation, you just fall for it someday and are lost forever, look at the bigger picture, collecting for example, why do people colect stamps, stones, smurfes, dolls ect. 80+% of the hobbys people have are plain stupid but yet to thes people very important for no visible reason.

Supporting a team makes watching team sports worthwhile...

Sure there are individual sportsmen in team sports I root for more than others BUT nothing gives you such excitement and pride as supporting a team. In my case Tottenham.

You get highs and lows, a couple of mondays ago I got to go into the office and be all cocky around an Everton supporter after we'd just beaten them that weekend. Sure I had nothing to do with the victory but I'm never gonna be a professional player. I feel that everytime I watch a game on TV it's a 0-0 draw but that's nothing to do with me even if it feels like it.

It's about immersion, about something you enjoy, about taking the flak when you're doing badly and celebrating and going crazy when you win a game...a cup...

It's like a smaller version of national pride, supporting your country...A club is even more personal, providing another form of identity.

Sure when it comes to individual sports I tend to support my favourite players rather than blindly supporting the Brits (unless it's the olympics or another major compeitition) but as the media always says, the club is bigger than a single player.

When that player gets old and dies, the club will still remain.

Something immortal.

To some people sports are similair to religion, there was once a man who was so dedicated to his team that he would rather be killed than simply say what he did not believe - that his team was terrible. Religious individuals have also been known to do this.

Most people support a team from when they discover sports, it's a passion that makes a lot of men (and women) stand up and be proud. It gives a sense of unity between supporters and communities and you never give up the faith if your team is doing bad, that they will pull themselves out of their rut.

Sports is about more than winning (it's cliché I know, but bear with me), when you are playing with people. do you not feel a sense of team spirit with victory and you all feel disastrous when you lose (often-times blaming others just to have a reason for your loss).

It's like a great man once said (I believe it was Bill Shankley):

"Sport (Ed - Real Quote; Football) isn't about life and death, it's far more important than that..."