Official Liverpool Thread

FLiam

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Quality performance from Crouch - three different, brilliant goals.

Our midfield is starting to take shape now. If Gonzalez and Aurelio can start performing like they did today all of the time then we'll have the best midfield in the league. Gerrard/Alonso/Mash and Momo alternating in the middle three places, with Bellamy and Kuyt playing just off Crouch.

The defence is sorted, Finnan's finally got some real competition at RB and Agger's cemented his place alongside Carra.

Liverpool travel to Holland for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final with PSV Eindhoven on Tuesday.

It is the third meeting of the season between the two sides after they came up against each other in the group stages. The tie at the Philips Stadion ended 0-0, while Liverpool won the return game at Anfield 2-0.

Liverpool go into the game in good spirits following last weekend's 4-1 win over Arsenal.

Hat-trick hero Peter Crouch will be hoping to keep his place in the starting XI following his heroics against Arsenal.

Craig Bellamy is doubtful as he struggles to shake off a rib injury, but former Feyenoord star Dirk Kuyt is expected to start.

Mohamed Sissoko is suspended for Liverpool meaning Javier Mascherano is set to make his Champions League debut in midfield alongside Xabi Alonso.

Steven Gerrard has shaken off a slight calf problem to play and he is expected to start on the right side of midfield.

Defensive duo Steve Finnan and Sami Hyypia return to the squad after being rested against Arsenal.

PSV coach Ronald Koeman has a number of injury problems to contend with before finalising his side.

Star defender Alex is missing with a hamstring problem and Ivory Coast striker Arouna Kone is sidelined with a knee problem.

Dutch international Ibrahim Afellay faces a late fitness test after picking up an injury in last weekend's draw with NAC Breda.

Michael Reiziger, John de Jong and Alcides are all still sidelined for PSV.

Thats the news from Skysports.com about the match.

I've been so out of touch with top flight football for so long that I am using this as a way to get back in. I'm looking forward to it, my mate is coming over and I don't get to see him much now that he is at uni so it'll be like the good old days. Might even get a few beers...

So, Aurelio's snapped his achilles.

I hope he recovers, they were going on after the game about it being the worst injury you can suffer and "career threatening." Never a good sign when a player gets injured like that, he's had three now this season that have come from seemingly nothing.

Pennant's really starting to look quality now, came on and turned the game after we'd been under pressure since they equalised. Gonzalez had some good runs and crosses as well, he'll be even better next season.

Arbeloa looks awesome, if he carries on the way he started then we've got a bargain. Has played really well at left and right back, £2.5million was a bargain.

Pennant's really starting to look quality now, came on and turned the game after we'd been under pressure since they equalised. Gonzalez had some good runs and crosses as well, he'll be even better next season.

Arbeloa looks awesome, if he carries on the way he started then we've got a bargain. Has played really well at left and right back, £2.5million was a bargain.