Official Liverpool Thread

FLiam

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has revealed the club are planning to make their proposed new stadium bigger than first expected.

Hicks ordered a review of the club's plans for a new stadium soon after gaining control at Anfield alongside fellow American George Gillett.

Hicks and Gillett have made the new stadium one of their top priorities and the club are hoping to move into their new home in 2009.

The American billionaires were keen to look into ways of increasing the 61,000 capacity of the new proposed ground at Stanley Park and they are now set to unveil their fresh plans later this month.

Hicks admitted the new plans could see Liverpool's new home go close to 80,000 capacity to make it the biggest club stadium in Britain.

"The city council's planners will receive the final plans on July 25," Hicks told the Sunday Mirror.

"The initial capacity will be the 60,000 previously approved, but the design will accommodate an eventual capacity in the high seventies."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...+bigger+stadium

Edited by therockbox

I would be surprised if he agreed to join. He's a firm favourite with the United fans, and to turn his back and join the Scousers would be out of character IMO. Plus, he has a better chance of winning things at the Bernabeu than Anfield.

I'm not so sure about that, Barca look like they're gonig to favourites for the league next year, and with Real losing players & Capello, Liverpool have signed Torres and not let any real strength go, I'd probably say Liverpool are just as likely to win something as Real are next year.

Jamie Carragher is considering his international future after failing to establish himself in the England side.

He was omitted from England's last game - a Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia - and is frustrated by his status in the national team's pecking order.

"There are a number of reasons why I've been thinking about this," Carragher, 29, told the Liverpool Echo.

"I first thought about it after the World Cup as I wondered how many chances I would get at centre-half."

He added: "Then when Sol Campbell was out of the picture I thought I could put pressure on Rio Ferdinand for the other centre-half position alongside John Terry.

"Given my form for Liverpool, I genuinely thought that was possible but over the last 12 months, players like Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King have played there ahead of me."

Carragher played at full-back in the friendly against Brazil on 1 June when England drew 1-1 in the first game at Wembley since the stadium's facelift.

He was then expected to figure in manager Steve McClaren's plans against Estonia but his omission seems to have had a major bearing on his thinking.

Carragher was not picked in defence, despite an injury to Ferdinand.

Instead, King partnered Terry at the heart of the back line and, while Carragher can also play at right-back, he was also overlooked for that slot, with Wes Brown getting the nod.

"It was particularly disappointing for me when Rio was out against Estonia and I wasn't picked," said Carragher.

Carragher has 34 caps to his name but has not been considered a first-team regularince making his debut against Hungary on 29 April 1999.

His struggles for his country are in contrast to his exploits for Liverpool.

He is a regular under Reds manager Rafael Benitez and his form and whole-hearted commitment are seen as one of the prime reasons for the club's 2005 Champions League triumph.

If Carragher did decide to retire from the international game he would follow in the footsteps of Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes.

Scholes quit international football at the age of 29 after Euro 2004 because he wanted to spend time with his family and concentrate on his club career.

But his move came amid reports he was frustrated at being played out of position by former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Carragher says he wants to step aside to give younger players like Everton's Joleon Lescott and Steven Taylor of Newcastle a chance.

But he will make himself available if England have an "absolute emergency" as they head toward the climax of their Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

"I want to stress this has nothing do would Steve McClaren," added Carragher.

"It wouldn't have mattered who was the England manager, I've been thinking about this for a while.

"I've worked with Steve for five years as part of the England set-up.

"I have a great time working with him and a lot of the England coaches. I'm just thinking about this from a purely personal point of view.

"The reason I'm delaying a final decision is because I didn't want people to think I have a bad attitude or I'm turning my back on the country at a bad time."

Good, whilst I don't think he should particularly be in the first team ahead of Terry or Rio, playing an unfit King or an unreliable Woodgate ahead of him (not to mention Wes Brown) is ridiculous.

He's been one of the best centre backs in Europe over the last three years, and yet still gets shafted by England. Much like Paul Scholes, really.