Grunge

Guest George

grunge (grŭnj) pronunciation

n. Slang.

1. Filth; dirt.

2. A style of rock music that incorporates elements of punk rock and heavy metal, popularized in the early 1990s and often marked by lyrics exhibiting nihilism, dissatisfaction, or apathy.

Edited by George

I... I didn't know Neil Young would be thought of as grunge. Weird.

Grunge is okay I guess. I listen to some Nirvana sometimes. I fucking love Incesticide. I hated Nevermind & In Utero, though. But their Unplugged deal... wow. That totally blew me away.

But I have to say I love the Melvins. Even though I've only heard a few songs by them, their cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit featuring LEIF GARRETT is just amazing. I think it beats the original, but that's just me. I also like how they did an incredible jam session with Tool (minus Maynard) called Divorced.

Yeah. Grunge isn't really my deal, but I can tolerate it though. But I've gotten to the point where I can't listen to Soundgarden anymore because of all the EWB'ers on my MSN are orgasming over it (Veg, Kaney, Midget, Cloudy). It's weird. I just... can't anymore. Oh well.

But I've gotten to the point where I can't listen to Soundgarden anymore because of all the EWB'ers on my MSN are orgasming over it (Veg, Kaney, Midget, Cloudy). It's weird. I just... can't anymore. Oh well.

M'gawd, Keeng. While I have praised them more than most bands, I'd hardly call it "orgasming" about them. Chill, Colton, chill :)

Soundgarden is amazing.... but you either love them or you hate them, and it is almost IMPOSIBLE to convince a Soundgarden hater to love them.

I have tried and failed, my brother-in-law, my friends, they don't like Soundgarden, :'( Why oh why can't you God enlighten them to like one of your greatest gifts to earth?

My personal opinion on grunge?

It was nothing more than a cheap off-shot of Punk-Rock. There was a handful of good bands and there was a handful of bad bands. Grunge was simply a word describe a scene and a time period, it isn't a genre on it's own, because if it were it would be one shitty-ass genre.

(Veg, Kaney, Midget, Cloudy).

:mellow:

I honestly can't think of a time when I spoke to you about Soundgarden, let alone 'orgasmed' over them. If you're referring to BS!, I only do it there because I know no-one there likes them.

But it was me who got DBD into Soundgarden, so I could be blamed slightly :P

Alice In Chains are the greatest grunge band of all time in my opinion. Pearl Jam are a close second. Nirvana were a great band, but if Alice In Chains got as much publicity over Layne's death as Nirvana did over Kurt's than a lot of people would be saying that Alice were the greatest.

Didn't Layne die of a drug overdose?

I think Cobain only got that much publicity over his death because of the way he died. You know, seeing as how he shot himself in the face.

Of course, then there are others who think Courtney Love murdered him, but whatever.

Didn't Layne die of a drug overdose?

I think Cobain only got that much publicity over his death because of the way he died. You know, seeing as how he shot himself in the face.

Of course, then there are others who think Courtney Love murdered him, but whatever.

I can't listen to Soundgarden anymore because of all the EWB'ers on my MSN are orgasming over it (Veg, Kaney, Midget, Cloudy).

...? I like Soundgarden, but I never have "orgasmed" over them. I have one CD that I spin every now and then, A-Sides.

I somewhat agree with PRP. Grunge was a vastly overrated genre and there were a handful of good bands to come out of it, like Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Melvins, etc.

I liked grunge when I was younger, I went through a period of buying stuff like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, etc. It was really one of the only kinds of rock music I knew about at that time. Now that stuff just collects dust in my closet, and probably may never find it's way into my cd player. I have to concur with the people citing the Melvins as their favorites from the grunge movement. I can honestly say there are no grunge bands that really "wow" me with their content or music.

nirvana is awesome, george's sig is awesome, niel young is grunge??

Neil Young is considered one of the forefathers of grunge, rather than actually being grunge himself, but is often linked in with the genre due to his partnership with Pearl Jam, his influence on Nirvana, his plaid and denim look and the "Sleeps With Angels" albums. In much the same way, The Pixies are often considered "grunge" despite having nothing in common with the majority of the bands from the grunge era, simply because of the influence they had on Nirvana.

Personally, I think the majority of "grunge" bands are technically very good, but I wouldn't choose to listen to the majority of them these days, I think it's a genre (if you can call it that) that hasn't aged well.

I'm a fan of Soundgarden, but much prefer Cornell's solo material. Pearl Jam are fantastic, but I probably wouldn't choose to listen to them these days, the same can be said for Alice In Chains, and I vastly prefer Jerry Cantrell's solo material (Degradation Trip is one of my all-time favourite albums), and Mad Season. The Meat Puppets are absolutely incredible, but I don't know if they'd be classed as grunge or not.

On to the Kurt Cobain ranting...Kurt Cobain was in no way the "genius" he is far too often hailed as being, he's no different to any number of teen angst poets the world over, he was just in the right place at the right time, and was seen as being a marketable face for grunge, on account of him being a pretty boy but still with the dirty raw look of grunge rock. His music and lyrics are above-average at best, and he essentially made a career out of ripping off Killing Joke (Come As You Are), The Pixies (Smells Like Teen Spirit, amongst others), Neil Young (All Apologies, amongst others), Mother Love Bone (Lithium, most of Nevermind), The Meat Puppets (most of Bleach) and countless others.

If it wasn't for Kurt's untimely death he would have fallen from fame by now in much the same manner as the majority of other grunge bands. Ask anyone in the street to name more than three grunge bands and I'm sure most would struggle.

The Kurt Cobain Journals is one of the most hideous publications I have ever seen, my Mother bought me it for Christmas last year when I was coming down from my grunge phase and I've refused to read it. The Kurt Cobain Graphic Novel isn't much better. Seriously, who sat down and thought, "You know what? I should romanticize Kurt Cobain's life and death, no one's ever done that before!"

Much like all "alternative" movements, grunge moved into the mainstream and was whored out, even moreso than punk, goth, metal and any other genre I can think of.

My old band, The Toxic Death Minstrels, played a grunge song called "Seattle Angel" that pretty much sums up my feelings on the genre...

Seattle Angel

Born from the ashes of rock and roll,

All dressed up but with nowhere to go,

When the music seemed so mundane,

Along came Kurt Cobain

(Chorus)

Step into the freakshow, boy,

And I'll sell you a dream,

Sell you a dream,

Sell you a dream tonight!

Making money off other people's creations,

Whoring yourself out to all the radio stations,

You're just a sell-out, boy, you ain't no hero,

Just stealing from the man for a little more deniro.

Fifty dirty fucking dollars for a ragged old checked shirt,

Some fucking legacy you've left us now, Kurt,

Skeletal supermodels in thousand-dollar jeans,

They've fucked it all up, this isn't what it's all supposed to mean.

April morning, '94,

And no one's dreaming anymore,

When you've gone they all forget,

But truth is you even plagiarised on your death-bed.

Now all he's left us with are indentikit clones,

Greasy little teenagers, getting drunk and getting stoned.

Neil Young sang "Better to burn out than to fade away",

But no one remembers that today.

Step into the freakshow, boy,

I want to buy a dream,

I want to buy a dream,

I want to buy a dream, tonight...

But we're out of stock....

I'm sorry....

That's probably the longest post I've made in a while, but there you go. I'll probably re-enter this thread later.

Grunge was a style/movement of music. Just like every other style/movement it had bands I enjoy listening to and bands I do not enjoy listening to, and that's all there is to it for me.