The Book Thread

Farmer Reil

I just finished Day of the Dragon (one of the WarCraft books), and it rocked (Rhonin was a bit bland, and had an annoying tendancy to "accidentally" solve all the problems EVERY TIME; Wesley Crusher Syndrome :P, but the rest of the characters made up for it).

So seeing as how the EWB doesn't currently have a new book thread, I thought I'd give it one.

Wondering if anyones read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? I'm onto book four now and have 5-10 waiting on the shelf for me. Fantastic so far.

Also, has anyone read the books by Raymond E. Feist, starting with Magician (A BBC Top 100 Read)? Fantastic series of fantasy literacy and would advise if you enjoy that stuff, then get to reading.

I was rereading "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. I just ended at The Dark Tower III: The Wastelands.

But now since I got some new books for Christmas I got new things to read. So I am currently taking a hiatus on The Dark Tower and going to read the following books in this order.

"Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk - Looks good if nearly as good as fight club it should be amazing. Going to start it tonight.

"Diary" by Chuck Palahniuk - Also looks good will be reading this after "Survivor".

"The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition" by Stephen King - I read the original "The Stand" so I was happy to get this for christmas. Should be good all 1141 pages of it lol.

then unless I get some more new books I will read:

"The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass" by Stephen King - Was an amazing book the first time I read it. I am rereading all them because I want to see if I notice anything new after reading all of them already.

I want to get my hands on "Five Seasons Of Angel: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire", but I can't find it here.

I'm not reading a book right now, but the last book I read was "Secret Sayings of Jesus" by Robert Grant. It was okay I guess. :lol:

Brian Lumley's Necroscope III: The Source - even though I haven't read Necroscope II. I have 5 or 6 of the Necroscope books but not the second one >.<

I'm also reading Lords of Chaos: Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground.

Currently reading "The Hitler Options: Alternate Decisions of World War II', edited by Kenneth Macksey.

It's basically a bunch of fictional stories about how the war would have gone if certain bits went differently. Like in a similar book (called 'Third Reich Victorious') - Hitler joined the Navy instead of the Army in WW1...and eventually he manages to successfully invade Britain. Nice.). It's quite cool really.

And hell - it's on my War Studies reading list...! Sweet! :thumbsup:

I'm working my way through Boris Starling's Storm, which isn't half as good (so far) as his other effort Messiah. Where in Messiah I never could figure out the big twist, the one in Storm is so badly telegraphed halfway through the book that I'm tempted to just check the last few chapters and see if it really was that easy to figure out. It's totally well-written, but the plot is flimsy and the idea that the two totally different happenings in the book (murderer on the loose, giant ferry sinking) are slowly becomign more and more connected is lame. I'd still reccomend it though, for any fan of Starling's work.

I got a $10 gift card for Chapters/Indigo/Coles though, so I may have new reading in my lap quite soon.

Edited by caucasianheat

I'm reading a book called Dynasty on the Diamond about a high school baseball coach in the state of Alabama that won 10 state championships, 1 national championship, and 2 national coach of the year awards. Pretty good book.