2004's Top Movies! RESULTS

Personally, I wouldn't have minded OldBoy being MUCH higher up, since I feel it was one of the best movies of the last few years, but it didn't exactly have a wide release or anything, so a lot of folks most likely hadn't seen it (also, I didn't vote, so can't really complain too much...).

Wasn't that big a fan of 50 First Dates, but I'll admit it was good for what it was. Sean Astin MADE that movie for me, though...that lisp was just too funny.

As for Day After Tommorow, even Dragonheart and Donnie Darko couldn't save that movie from the CG Wolves.

Anyone have any thoughts on which movies you figure will do well on the list? I'm thinking Spiderman 2, Shaun of the Dead, and Anchorman will do quite well...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the trailer, and saw the bit where they walk through the snow and thought 'Hey, maybe they'll be like 30 minutes of cannablism to survive those artic conditions.' I was bitterly disappointed.

50 First Dates is one of those movies I forgot I saw, especially in 2004, but was pretty good. And Rob Schnieder is the fucking man.

The Village is the shittest movie I've seen in such a long time. M. Night Shamlayn is the worst writer ever. I figured out the endings to The Sixth Sense, The Village and Signs half way through. They are so predicitble.

So far, of those I have seen I, Robot, TDAT, 50 First Dates, and The Village. I actually liked I, Robot. I realize it wasn't a masterpiece of cinema or anything, but it was enough to keep me entertained. Of course, I actually am a Will Smith fan..

I don't remember how I originally voted, but of those 50 First Dates would be my favorite...I just rewatched it Sunday and remembered how much I originally liked it. TDAT was long and boring considering it was a disaster movie, and The Village was alright for me, but I was expecting something scarier and I too had it figured out pretty early.

The Day After Tomorrow was easily the worst movie I saw this year... absolutely fucking terrible. That movie could have been twenty minutes long and served its purpose. Bad weather strikes, end movie. No need for two hours of meaningless shit in between. Fucking horrible.

Saw was the most disappointing movie I saw all year. Couple good scares, but the atrocious acting just killed it.

I liked the Village though, fuck off. But I think M. Night gets a bad rap...

I enjoyed The Day After Tommorow for it's visuals, but I thought that it also mantained a mood of tension more appropriately than I'm used to PG-13 action films doing. It's a passable, if not great, visual thrillride. 6/10 for a marginal thumbs up from me.

The Village is the shittest movie I've seen in such a long time. M. Night Shamlayn is the worst writer ever. I figured out the endings to The Sixth Sense, The Village and Signs half way through. They are so predicitble.

All three of those movies were definitely ***+ and I doubt that you figured out the exact ending to The Village or Sixth Sense movies unless you heard of some things beforehand because hardly anyone could do that. I thought I had The Village figured out until the end but I was wrong. :P

I like the rankings so far, even though I haven't seen a few of the movies like I, Robot and Tomorrow.

I think the only reason people think that The Village is disappointing is because many people thought it was going to be a horror movie. People were walking out of the theatre I was in because they thought it was going to be like Alien or something but it was like all of Shyamalan's other movies, it was drama/suspense that kept you guessing, even though you thought you knew the ending. I thought I knew the exact ending just from the previews but I was wrong, which made it that much better of an experience.

I think the only reason people think that The Village is disappointing is because many people thought it was going to be a horror movie. People were walking out of the theatre I was in because they thought it was going to be like Alien or something but it was like all of Shyamalan's other movies, it was drama/suspense that kept you guessing, even though you thought you knew the ending. I thought I knew the exact ending just from the previews but I was wrong, which made it that much better of an experience.

I liked all of M Nights work, but The Village, as Pepsi pointed out, is just boring. There is no way of getting past that for me. I applaud the idea, but the film itself generally wasn't very good at all.

39: Lost In Translation

"A movie star with a sense of emptiness, and a neglected newlywed meet up as strangers in Tokyo and form an unlikely bond."

Just about gets in as it was released in some places in '04...

38: Man On Fire

"In Mexico City, a former Assasin swears vengeance on those who committed an unspeakable act against the family he was hired to protect."

37: The Punisher

"After his wife and family are killed, G-Man Frank Castle (Jane) takes it upon himself to rid America of crime by acting as judge, jury and executioner. Based on the Marvel Comics hero."

36: Metallica - Some Kind Of Monster

"A documentary crew followed Metallica for the better part of 2001-2003, a time of tension and release for the rock band, as they recorded their album St. Anger, fought bitterly, and sought the counsel of their on-call shrink."

Only four but it puts us back in the correct run of five sequence...

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Lost in Translation was fantastic but since it got it's initial release in 2003, I don't consider it 04. The Punisher was ridiculously disappointing, Man on Fire was quite solid and I didn't see Metallica - Some Kind of Monster. Some respectable picks so far; why do I get the feeling the top is going to be full of ridiculous choices?

35: Ocean's Twelve

"Daniel Ocean recruits one more team member so he can pull off three major European heists in this sequel to Ocean's 11."

34: Layer Cake

"A successful cocaine dealer planning an early retirement is lured back into business by a love interest and an international drug ring."

33: Tais-toi!

"Only see this movie if you're into verbal wit laced with sight gags and thick-ear confrontations involving a three-way split between Depardieu/Reno, the flics and a team of semi-hard men."

32: Ray

"Soul singer Ray Charles' life transpires on-screen, from his humble beginnings in Georgia, where he went blind at the age of seven, to his pre-fame life touring the South, and on to his career as one of the most enduring, inimitable performers in modern music."

followed by another biopic...

31: The Life and Death of Peter Sellers

"The feature adaptation of Roger Lewis' book about the actor best remembered as Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther movies."

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster