Though of the Day: Gaming Mags

zero

If you're old enough to remember the days before the internet exploded, the only way to get your gaming news, rumors, cheats, reviews, etc was through the gaming mags. To me, there were always the big three: Electronic Gaming Monthly, Gamepro, and Game Informer.

So the discussion is, with the internet being as big and available as it is, are the mags a dying breed? EGM just eliminated their cheats section because it's just easier to go their website cheats.1up.com. Could the rest of the magazine be heading that way?

Furthermore, which of the mags do/did you favor, and why? Do you still buy gaming mags? Do you have a subscription to any? If so, do you plan on keeping it much longer? Subscribe to any gaming websites like IGN Insider?

We get EGM, Gamepro, and the official Playstation Magazine. That may seem like alot, but the fact is we got the first two for free through the internet and Playstation magazine for having an MVP card at Game Crazy. So we don't pay for any of them. I do like reading them, but if we were paying for them the only only ones I think I would buy are the ones that come with demos.

I always read like, all of th em when I was growing up. But personally, I prefered EGM over the rest. And still do, actually, as it's the only one I still have a subscription to. I used to subscribe to IGN Insider, but then something called "no money" happened, and I ended up not renewing it. I think that mags can still be a good source of news, as I've noticed sometimes they can get thigns out of publishers and the like that internet sources can't. That may all change as well, but for now, I think magazines are still a viable alternative for the net.

If i'm ever on a train for a long journey I always buy a good newspaper (ie. compact Times) and an X-Box magazine. That's the only time I ever buy magazines so, I bought 5 in total last year (3 times there and back, I didn't get one coming back one time as I came back with a friend), and that's a year I did lots of travel around the country. Back in the day I always used to read Gamesmaster though, and watch the TV program, oh how I miss thee.

Personally I don't read magazines anymore, in fact I don't really look up much info on games and stuff (Bar a few, "Recent'ish" FM, PES4, Fable) when they come out I normally just impulse buy or buy from what others recommend.

If you're old enough to remember the days before the internet exploded, the only way to get your gaming news, rumors, cheats, reviews, etc was through the gaming mags.  To me, there were always the big three:  Electronic Gaming Monthly, Gamepro, and Game Informer. 

So the discussion is, with the internet being as big and available as it is, are the mags a dying breed?  EGM just eliminated their cheats section because it's just easier to go their website cheats.1up.com.  Could the rest of the magazine be heading that way?

Furthermore, which of the mags do/did you favor, and why?  Do you still buy gaming mags?  Do you have a subscription to any?  If so, do you plan on keeping it much longer?  Subscribe to any gaming websites like IGN Insider?

Guest MystikalityIX

GamesMaster rocked and I always bought OPM for the demo disc. Now I don't bother, spending a fiver on information I could've got for free on the internet weeks before doesn't float my boat.

I grew up reading Nintendo Power because I had the Super Nintendo then when they pretty much just do stuff on N64 I quit reading... now every month I get OPM... pretty much for the Demo Disc but I still like reading the articles they have and reviews/previews... I especially like their joke reviews when a game is really bad.

I remember how Gamepro did the drawings in their magazine every month that was submitted by readers.

I drew a picture of Felix The Cat ( :shifty: ), and submitted it into Gamepro. Never got in the fucking magazine. I thought it was pretty damn good too.

Of course, it didn't have jack shit to do with games, so..

I get the Official XBOX Mag to my house, mainly for the Demo Disc. I'll buy the odd EGM(only for the newsstands DVD, for the Mega64, game videos and Red vs Blue stuff) and OPM.

I think Multi-console mags are going to, in the next 5 or so years, wither down though. The Net can provide 99% of what they do. Console specific mags have a special advantage, Demo Discs. Unless a multi-console mag can find I way to fit PC, XBOX, PS2 & GC demos on 1 disk and make it fit in all consoles then I don't see them surviving

Nintendo Power, GamePro, and EGM were my 3.

I was PISS-ED when I moved into my current house (Back in '98), to find out that my mom had pitched ALL my old mags.

I had the 50th issue of NP, showing off Link's Awakening...

And my 100th issue of NP, that had (at the time) cool crap in it, like N64 screenshots of WCW vs nWo World Tour, the 100 Best Ambush spots in Goldeneye, the 100 best nitendo games, etc...

<farooq> DAMN </farooq>

The PC Gamer demo discs are always awesome, and have every single review score they have for every game they have reviewed in the past.

PC Gamer owns, almost solely because of there review of the worst games ever:

Xtreme PaintBrawl

Swamp Buggy Racing