Metallica

fineintent

Well...?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Well...?

• Love Them
    • Loathe Them

Metallica changed my life from taking me to a kid totally obsessed with wrestling and comic books to a kid totally obsessed with wrestling and music.

Music's my release, my band allows me to get my feelings out. Metallica makes me feel awesome. If I've had a bad day, I put on some Metallica and everything's forgotten. No matter what my mood, they make my day better.

And the song "No Leaf Clover" ALWAYS brings a smile to my face and pumps me up. No matter what.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your image of what music is? Just curious.

Something that pleases my ear... stimualtes the senses, simple as that. Music doesn't have to be this over-exaggerated "artsy" idea to make me like it. I can listen to anything, metal, rock, rap, jazz, blues, oldies, disco, new wave, whatever. As long as it sounds good to me, I like it.

Guest Bluesman

When I think of an Icon, I think of someone like Elvis. Elvis was one of the first "offensive" acts ever in music. Elvis not only played music, but he managed to alter the world and pop culture.

Don't you think that is one dimensional though?

Art can accomplish so much more than people just taking it at face-value.

And I can appreciate music that plays up the more artistic side, but it's not a necessity for me to like it. You know, sometimes I just want to crank AC/DC up to 11 and rock out. Just like sometimes I wanna watch shit blow up in a movie. This is the problem I have with the "internet culture;" nothing can just be what it's intended to be, nothing can be fun or mindless entertainment. I'm not looking to broaden my cultural horizons when I throw in St. Anger, I just wanna scream, "YOU LIVE IT OR LIE IT!!!" And I'm tired of being looked down upon as one dimensional or less intelligent because of it. Things can be complex in their simplicity.

When I think of an Icon, I think of someone like Elvis. Elvis was one of the first "offensive" acts ever in music. Elvis not only played music, but he managed to alter the world and pop culture.

Elvis wasn't an Icon, he was white. If it wasn't for that no one would know who he is.

Fair enough, Elvis got famous for being a white boy singing black music, but even so, you can't deny that he did change the face of music because of that. You, and I, might not agree with how and why he got as huge as he was, but you can't change that, and you can't deny that he's an icon. He changed the face of music, and the world, and is an instantly recognisable social image. THAT is an Icon.

Guest Bluesman

No. If a wealthy businessman accumulates massive amounts of wealth through dishonest and illegal means, is he an "Icon" of the business community? No, he's a fraud. Now, just because *most* people are not aware of this, or choose not to care, doesn't change the actual reality.

No. If a wealthy businessman accumulates massive amounts of wealth through dishonest and illegal means, is he an "Icon" of the business community? No, he's a fraud. Now, just because *most* people are not aware of this, or choose not to care, doesn't change the actual reality.

That's irrelevant, though. The definition of an "Icon" in Media terms is something or someone instantly recognisable in context. Elvis is instantly recognisable to almost everyone. The hairstyle, the sequinned jumpsuit, the swivelling hips...all instantly recognisable imagery, that ANYONE will immediately associate with Elvis Presley. Whether you like him or not is inconsequential, Elvis is an icon.

Elvis is a tool....IMO

Music can change peoples lives though. I went from being not a big music fan, and only listening to commercial music, when I heard Nirvana "Nevermind". Suddenly, that defined music for me, and I wanted more of it. Now, I have a massive CD collection, and through alternative music lifestyle, have branched off into other stuff I may not have done otherwise (alt books, foriegn films, etc etc). So, I'd argue that "Nevermind" changed my life, in some way.

Guest Bluesman

That's irrelevant, though. The definition of an "Icon" in Media terms is something or someone instantly recognisable in context. Elvis is instantly recognisable to almost everyone. The hairstyle, the sequinned jumpsuit, the swivelling hips...all instantly recognisable imagery, that ANYONE will immediately associate with Elvis Presley. Whether you like him or not is inconsequential, Elvis is an icon.

Elvis wasn't an Icon.

Bob Marley, Frank Sinatra, those are icons. Elvis was a media creation.

Music can change your life. When I was introduced to 'gangster' rap as a young teen, it changed my whole outlook on life. Before that, I listened only to country, as it was what I grew up on, but rap made me look around and find other music, music I enjoyed more. It opened my horizons, and lead me to find new things, new friends, new experiences.