Metallica

fineintent

Well...?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Well...?

• Love Them
    • Loathe Them

Hopefully this topic can stay clear of flaming, but this topic comes up again and again with my friends and it's interesting to hear different takes on Metallica. There is no "I don't mind them" option as I'm interested to hear from the polar ends of the spectrum. If you don't mind them, just go with whatever is closest.

Personally, I think Metallica are incredibly over-rated and I literally like about 6 songs, having been played the entire back catalogue by friends. Whilst they aren't the worst band I've ever heard, I find it very hard to find an aspect of their music I particularly enjoy and, IMO, whenever I've seen an interview with them, they come across as self riteous pricks.

I'm sure this will lead to a barrage of "Metallica are metal music" and other such comments, but I'd really like to hear some opinions on this - like why exactly do you like Metallica? I find their songs long winded and, unlike another metal band like Pantera, they don't really go anywhere for me. I can apprieciate the effect they've had on metal music, but I can't help but feel there are so many more deserving bands out there.

Discuss.

Edited by fineintent

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metallica's my favorite band ever. I'm in their fanclub, and I literally love every record they've ever put out. Sure some songs are weaker than others, but I love the albums nonetheless.

The reason? I don't know...I guess I just fell in love with the Metallica album and then delved further into their catalog. From what has to be considered one of the top 5 metal albums ever, Master Of Puppets, to the highly underrated Ride The Lightning and ...And Justice For All, to the much maligned Load and ReLoad, I like them all.

Metallica got me into music, especially metal. In my opinion no one's done heavy metal better, before or since.

I hate the "they sold out" or "Lars is a greedy bastard" argument. It's cool to hate Metallica, that's just stupid. It's stupid to dislike anything just because everyone else does. If you don't like their music that's fine, but at least have a better reason than "They sold out!" or whatever.

I made the mistake of hearing St. Anger first. I was of the opinion that they were pretty rubbish, and incredibly over-rated. But on a whim, I picked up Master of Puppets and Ride The Lightning cheap, and I think both albums are absolute classics (although I'd be pissed of if I'd have paid full price, they're both pretty short for albums, only 8 or 9 tracks).

So yeah, I'm a convert. I love the thrashier stuff on Kill Em All, too.

And how is ride the Lightning under-rated? People cream at the mention of the name of the CD.

Love them, even though the whole Mustaine/Mechanix/Four Horsemen/Hetfield incident somewhat tainted my veiw of Metallica as musicians.

That said, Kill 'em all was awesome, RTL was awesome, MOP was awesome, AJFA was awesome. The first four albums are works of genius. Then after that...they slipped.

A lot.

But if only for thier own stuff I wub them. Even if Dave Mustaine is far more talented than Kirk

I love Metallica. I have for a long time now.

I prefer Master Of Pupperts over Ride The Lightning, because a) it was the first 80's Metallica album a got (the first Metallica album I got was Load) and B) the title track (Master Of Puppets) is one of my all time favorite Metallica songs.

I like everything Metallica did, sans maybe St. Anger. Even if a lot of people loathe their 90's material, I still love that stuff. People complain about how they changed in the 90's, but if anything, it extended their shelf life, IMO.

There are a lot of folks that piss me off with the whole "you sold out thing", and that goes for most bands that achieve mainstream success. They alter their style and/or image a tinge to keep themselves fresh and maybe appeal to a more mainstream audience. Nothing is wrong with that.

As for Metallica specifically, sure the first four albums were stellar, but who's to say if they released their next 5 albums with the exact same style the same people wouldn't be bitching about how all their shit sounded the same? Personally, I give them kudos for doing what they did in the 90's, even if it spawned a legion of anti-fans.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Guest t3h_G0dZ

Ok...First and foremost let me first ask why you would make a feeble attempt to stop flaming in these discuss posts after flaming Metallica in the beginning of yours? Sure, an opinionated forum is fine with a vote at the top (which right now you're opinion is clearly in the minority by the way) but you make claims like

they come across as self riteous pricks.

Metallica just reall isn't my genre, I can get into a song or two of theirs every now and then, but when it all comes down to it, I don't think that i'll ever truely like them in the way that you guys do. That doesn't mean I hate them though, I respect what they did for music and that they're still out there doing it today. I'm split 50\50 on what I think of certain members but that doesn't really matter anyways.

All facts aside, let me give you my opinion on metallica.  Let me just start with the preface that Metallica is my favorite band.  Their lyrics flow incredibly well with whatever piece of music they put to it.  Listen to songs like Enter Sandman, Motobreath or even Frantic.  The guitar solos in several Metallica songs just prove, and are a shining example of how talented Metallica is.  If you want to isolate it to certain people we can do that too.  Listen to the vocals in Kill 'em All and then pop in S&M and listen to how far James has progressed in the years he has been singing.  Lar's has always been a solid drummer which can be heard from the beginning to where he really starts to do some cool shit in st. anger (talking about the album not just the song).  Kirk is one of my all time favorite guitarists and the things he can do when he has a guitar in his hands is amazing.  Bass is a harder category to talk about because they've gone through quite a few different bassists but then again you can't name one of them that isn't incredibly talented anyway.  How many bands can play powerful energetic sounds like Ride the Lightning and then bring it straight down and play a song like Mama Said ?  Not that many, if any and if there are some I'd like to know because they'll be a candidate for my 2nd favorite band.  How many bands have music you can listen to when you're trying to get pumped up (too many to list) and then have songs that you could harmonically sing to your girlfriend.  I think Metallica is amazing.  (I also agree with just about everthing Enter Blue Guy is saying)

The thing everyone has to realize is that something like music is incredibly incredibly opinionated and everyone thinks theirs is best usually.  Personally I don't think my opinion is best, I know I'm showing quite a large bias here and I'll admit that upfront.  Opinions aside, everyone has to at least agree that as a band, as musicians, Metallica is an unbelievably talented group of individuals (If you disagree, then I'll go on google.com and find some record or concert sales facts for you.) It's true, It's true.  :devil:

Guest Bluesman

Overrated. There are some artists that can delve into new areas and do it well (Jeff Beck) and others who can stick in one area (comprised of other smaller ones) and do it well for a long time (B.B. King). Metallica is neither, and never will be.

They had a nice run, and turned to shit. Accept it and move on.

I can't judge Metallica as a whole, I'm very mixed from song to song, I enjoy most of the music but I wouldn't consider them one of the best like a lot apparently claim. They are mainstays in the genre and nothing more, that doesn't make them legends. I do hate the fanboys who worship everything they do, because quite frankly not band is as good as fanboys ever claim.

To answer your question in short, I am one of those people who are in the non-existent option of the middle of the spectrum.

Doesn't make them legends?

Being in the top 10 of records sold OVERALL in ANY genre doesn't make them legends?

Making the album many claim to be the best metal album EVER doesn't make them legends?

Inspiring practically ever single hard rock/heavy metal band in the 90's and 2000's doesn't make them legends?

What does then? Rapping and screaming about how the government sucks and how oppressed you are when in fact you are anything but?

Overrated. There are some artists that can delve into new areas and do it well (Jeff Beck) and others who can stick in one area (comprised of other smaller ones) and do it well for a long time (B.B. King). Metallica is neither, and never will be.

They had a nice run, and turned to shit. Accept it and move on.

I agree, overall though I find Metallica's music horrendusly boring.