Maynard Finds Jesus?

tristy

Tristof...I will more than happy give my best answer to that question tomorrow. It's past midnight here though and I have to be up at 8 and my wife's in bed winking at me (either that or she's got grit in her eye again). I'm in the church office all day tomorrow and will be online so I promise you I'll reply as best I can. Any reply tonight will be half-asleep and half-cocked.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're all blowing what Pepsi has said way out of proportion. Just becuase you're relgious doesn't mean she can't dislike a guy who's seemingly been anti-religious throughout all of this, and then suddenly "changes his mind" on the matter. If it's not a joke, then I would feel the exact same way, because he's made it known that he's against organized religion and that you basically shouldn't do it. And then he turns around and becomes part of organized religion as well? That's hypocrisy. So you saying she's taking it out of context, but you're all reading way too much into the definition.

People who say that they're one thing, then do the exact opposite? Hypocrite and I don't give a crap if it's about religion, or if it's about their stance on the political scene.

Personally, my view of him, would be the same as Pepsi's, because the guy has spoken out against religion and the guy has made it known, whether or not through other lyrics as well, he's not, or at least wasn't going to be religous. And hey, I respect the fact that he can change his mind about things, but religion is hardly something as unimportant as whether or not you like broccli or not.

It annoys me to see people defend him for being a hypocrite, when she posts the definition for you all to read, and then you tell HER that she's taking it out of context.

Guest Bluesman

Never said I wasn't going to still listen Tool or APC cd's.  Look at the flip side, let's say there's a famous priest who has gotten famous for preaching the word of god, blah blah blah.  Suddenly he comes out denouncing his faith and basically saying that he's discovered there truely is no god.  There would be an uproar from the religious right.  They'd basically smear his name like crazy.

But when someone who has spent their career saying how bad religion is to suddenly find god, you ask us to just simply accept this as the "fact he's happy."

I'd like to request one of you Christians come out and speak on this. I'm curious about whether you think it's the same thing or not.

hy·poc·ri·sies

1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.

2. An act or instance of such falseness.

By that definition, she's right that he would be a hypocrite. Because suddenly finding god, when he's outspoken against for so long would be hypocritical of him to do.

No. By that definition, it says that if he was professing he wasn't a Christian, but at the same time he was professing these ideas to people, he secretly was a Christian, then thats hypocrisy. Changing his mind (so ages ago saying he wasn't a Christian, and now saying he is) over time isn't hypocrisy.

It's how you read it, I guess.

Edited by rvdwannabe

hy·poc·ri·sies

1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.

By that definition, she's right that he would be a hypocrite. Because suddenly finding god, when he's outspoken against for so long would be hypocritical of him to do.

hy·poc·ri·sies

hy·poc·ri·sies

rvd, naiwf and Malenko in my opinion have the correct reading on hypocrisy.

According to that dictionary definition, if he said that he was a Christian to everyone but inwardly didn't change the way he lived or continued writing lyrics about Christianity being a sham. That is hypocrisy.

If he says to everyone that he doesn't believe in God, but then when he's home he actively persues a life that centres around beliving in God, THAT is hypocrisy.

If he used to say that organised religion was wrong but now no longer says that and has become a member of organised religion, according to dictionary definition and accepted use of the phrase, that is NOT hypocrisy.

Especially if I remember back to my English Language qualifications.

You can lose respect for him by him outwardly making a sudden U-turn away from what you personally believe as the right way, but you cannot call it hypocrisy.

Also, what with Tool and APC not having written new material for a while (and the most likely anti-religion lyrics being in the earlier Tool stuff), we can't be sure how quick a change in mind this was.

However, this seemed a bit "suspect"...

bollocks, the link isn't working now, but it was a e-mail Maynard sent MTV. Check the website to have a look. Just seemed a bit...jokey..to me.

"Christians, huh? So forgive me." - Bill Hicks

Good news, April fools fans. The writing and recording is back under way. When approached for comment on his recent encounter with the Son of God, Maynard said, "That guy's a punk!"

As it turns out, Maynard was out "location scouting" near the Fourth Street bridge in downtown Los Angeles when he "found Jesus."

"Turns out he was here the whole time, and not that difficult to find if you know where to look," Maynard reported. Apparently Jesus offered him the position of campaign manager for his new line of "Holier Than Thou" sparkling holy water, which Maynard of course accepted. What wasn't obvious was that this guy is a total drunk. It's an occupational hazard. Every time our Lord goes to get a glass of water, it transforms into a generic grocery store Merlot. Because the alcoholic is the Son of God and an all-knowing being, he knew of Maynard’s extensive interest in collecting wine. So he went to work trying to get his lips on it. Maynard caught J.C. in his cellar transforming his precious wine collection into urine, then pissing it into the empty "sparkling holy water" bottles for the eventual sale to all those people who bought, read, and embraced "The Celestine Prophesy." Tragic.

"Truth be told," Maynard confessed, "I wasn't feeling top notch when I found him. The evening prior to the day in question I had over-indulged in a series of bad Molotov shrimp cocktails with a side of Makers Mark and twin strippers. So after an entire night of G.I. Blowouts, hot/cold sweats, and blurred vision, it's very possible that the guy I met wasn't even Jesus at all. For all I know, it was Willem Dafoe."

Credit: www.toolband.com

Oh well, twas a joke as some suspected. Guess this will make the fans happy, and the Christians on this board think MJK is a prick.

And as I said on the other board...it's after 12:00 on April the 1st, the joke doesn't count...:P

It was Tool, it was always a joke. If I rememer rightly one of them made a joke they had AIDS. Although the joke certianly did spark off a debate on here though :D

Yeah, Pepsi mentioned it.

It's sparked off debates on at least 3 forums I go to, so it definitely got people talking.

Hey, I'm just glad that there will be new Tool this year.

I am a little late in the thread, even after the revelation that Maynard is a very funny man, but I gotta say this was ridiclous.

If, I dunno, Dennis Lyxen wanted to dedicate his life to being a Capitalist, I'd just shrug my shoulders and say, "who the fuck cares?" I'd just go out and find a band even more subversize and communist than the Conspiracy and rock the shit out.

But hey, that is just me. And if someone wants to find God, let them. God ain't for me, but if it makes you happy, why the fuck not.