Lyrics - How Important Are They?

Farmer Reil

How Important Are Lyrics In A Song?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How Important Are Lyrics In A Song?

• Very. They ARE the song
    • Bad lyrics don't ruin a good song, but good lyrics can make a crap song better
    • Not very. As long as the music is good the lyrics don't really matter.
    • The music I listen to doesn't have lyrics/has few lyrics anyway.

How important actually are lyrics to you, when you listen to music?

I was wondering this after finding the lyrics to a Rammstein song and roughly translating them, laughing at my "botched attempt", then finding out he really DOES say "I am the voice of the pillow" :shifty:

To me, lyrics are pretty important. I mean, if a song has a great tune, it doesn't really matter if the lyrics aren't great. Rammstein prove that often enough. But songs with great lyrics can make up for the fact that the tune isn't all that special (as proven many times by Hammerfall and Sonata Artica).

On the other hand, without lyrics I'd probably hate it. Loads of people have wondered why I adore Rhapsody but can't listen to a Beethoven concerto. Without lyrics it seems meaningless.

And worse than having no lyrics at all is dance music, where you often have one lyric repeated 20 gabillion times throughout the song. Either that or no lyrics at all and a series of meaningless computer generated "noises" that I could've made myself on a computer with £30 worth of software.

What about you?

Edited by TheReilDeal

Well, it depends on the song. If it's a ballad, then the lyrics are important, because they need to express real emotion. If it's a more upbeat song, then the lyrics are less important than the music.

I was going to write a lengthy response to this, but that pretty much sums it up

How important actually are lyrics to you, when you listen to music?

I was wondering this after finding the lyrics to a Rammstein song and roughly translating them, laughing at my "botched attempt", then finding out he really DOES say "I am the voice of the pillow" :shifty:

To me, lyrics are pretty important. I mean, if a song has a great tune, it doesn't really matter if the lyrics aren't great. Rammstein prove that often enough. But songs with great lyrics can make up for the fact that the tune isn't all that special (as proven many times by Hammerfall and Sonata Artica).

On the other hand, without lyrics I'd probably hate it. Loads of people have wondered why I adore Rhapsody but can't listen to a Beethoven concerto. Without lyrics it seems meaningless.

And worse than having no lyrics at all is dance music, where you often have one lyric repeated 20 gabillion times throughout the song. Either that or no lyrics at all and a series of meaningless computer generated "noises" that I could've made myself on a computer with £30 worth of software.

What about you?

I think lyrics are important as well, but a lot of the Power Metal and such lyrics are really cheesy, and pretty awful IMO. In those cases, I think for me the music makes up for it.

Im the same as Dochappy actually, i've taken a much bigger interest in lyrics over the last year or so, and find them to be fundamentally important to a song, most of the time determining whether or not I actually like it.

That said, I can listen to songs with crappy lyrics, just provided I can ignore them. For instance, I find it difficult to avoid Kris Roes shitty lyrics in pretty much any Ataris song because you can hear them so clearly, but theres a ton of 80s songs on my computer with shitty lyrics, and I never really notice them until I bring them up and read them as I listen through.

thats one reason I avoid listening to rap because msotly the lyrics are the same , I'll listen to rap sometimes but its rare

My names Eazy-E, I got bitches galore. You might have a lot of bitches but I got much more.

It is almost entirely about lyrics in rap. While I do enjoy listening to the instrumentals (beats), just listening to them can get really old, really fast without some lyrics over the beat.

However, it can go both ways in rap, some artists wouldn't be anything without their voice/lyrics and others wouldn't be anything without the beats.

It can go either way. Really good lyrics can make a song, really bad lyrics can break it.

In terms of hip-hop, the lyrics determine whether I like an artist or whether I just like his music. However, great lyrics with no flow and awful production can render a song unlistenable.

Examples:

I enjoyed The Game's album because of the production and his flow. The lyrics were, on the whole, generic West Coast gangsta rap but the beats and his flow made up for it.

I enjoyed Canibus' earlier albums because of the incredible lyrics, despite the fact that the production was often poor.

I don't enjoy the work of Aesop Rock despite the lyrics purely because his voice is awful, so awful that I can't overlook it.

Guest Muthafawkkinmatt

Lyrics are the song, you can have good beats or whatever but if you have to say something. I mean I know alot of people like the loud banging club shit music, such as Lilttle John but I am more into the lyrists, such as Talib Kweli, Canibus, and etc.

It really depends. With, for example, American Idiot, or Tommy or a lot of the rap I like or songs like The Ghost of Tom Joad, the lyrics are the key element. Without the lyrics, the music wouldn't be nearly as good.

Then again, I listen to a significant amount of Japanese music, and I can't understand most of the words, even when they're trying to speak english, so the actual lyrics are a non-issue, and yet X-Japan's Silent Jealousy and Dragon Ash's Under Age Song are two of my favorite songs ever.

Of the choices, I go with "Very." For example, Weezer's new album sucks entirely because the lyrics are absolutely horrid. The music's fine, but the lyrics almost always completely bite.

In rap, some people you listen too for the beats and the flow, such as Game, even if his lyrics are lacking. For instance, I love Hate It or Love It, but no one would say its a lyrical masterpiece, it just flows well. Some people you listen too for the lyrics, Sage Francis and Canibus, and some people you listen too for both, like Atmosphere and Eminem.

As for rock, the harder it is, the less lyrics matter, in my opinion. Someone like Slayer or Slipknot can get away with 'worse' lyrics than a band like Incubus.