Nintendo Revolution Revealed!

zero

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grapehead

Seriously, that's the best looking one yet IMO, so small and compact, yet still stylish. It is literally the size of a modem I think, I wasn't sure it was actually the system when I first saw it, I thought it was perhaps an addon of some sort. I still can't wait to see the controllers though, this is getting interesting.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I saw a tiny little picture of this earlier & decided I didn't like it, but from these pics I've changed my mind, it looks pretty low-key (much like all of the 3G systems seem to be) which gives it an element of class.

Its a surprising look from Nintendo, we'd expect something bright and cartoony usually, definitely trying to drop that 'childish' image its gotten.

Basically it look like an external CD-ROM, which yes, is boring, but you can tell that it'll stand the test of time and won't suddenly start looking old and shit.

An article I just found at Gamespot sheds a little more light on this new system.

Today, Nintendo revealed its contribution to next-generation gaming to USA Today, and the newspaper hit the streets just hours before the company's scheduled pre-E3 press conference. The console will be called Revolution, and is scheduled for release sometime in 2006.

Nintendo is the last of the "Big Three" to reveal its next-gen plans. Microsoft took the lid off its future console, the Xbox 360, last week, and Sony unveiled the PlayStation 3 yesterday at its pre-E3 conference.

The Revolution design didn't follow suit with its curvaceous competitors, the concave Xbox 360 and convex PlayStation 3. In fact, its simple rectangular design can be easily mistaken for a modem at first glance. However, like its competitors, the unit can stand vertically or lay supine. The black console can fit snugly in a grey stand, where it is pitched upward at a slight angle for vertical positioning, or be removed and laid flat (and look eerily similar to Apple's Powerbook batteries).

Revolution's enigmatic controllers were not revealed, but they will be wireless. Rumors have been awash that the controllers will be unlike any before, possibly losing buttons in favor of touch screens or incorporating some sort of gyroscopic functions.

By Nintendo's own admission, according to USA Today, the system is two to three times as powerful as its current-generation console, the GameCube. Sony's PlayStation 3, announced yesterday, is reportedly dozens of times powerful than its predecessor, the PlayStation 2.

However, Nintendo told the newspaper "It's not all about having 'turbo power', It's about what you do with it." What Nintendo plans to do with it is still under wraps--the publisher has not yet announced any games for the system.

Eschewing its previous business ideas, Revolution will be online-friendly, and support a broadband gaming service similar to that of Microsoft's Xbox Live. Its most significant contribution to online gaming will be the ability to download games, and not just simple puzzlers or platformers from the NES days. GameCube titles will be downloadable, though it's not clear whether the games will be saved to a storage devices or memory cards.

For those who would rather just pop in their hard copy of Mario Sunshine, Nintendo offers a simple solution: backward compatibility. As indicated before, Revolution, like the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be able to play all the games from the current-generation GameCube, as well as DVDs through its blue-LED-illuminated front-loading media drive.

Be sure to check back for more information on Revolution. GameSpot News will be updating this story throughout the day.

Revolution is gonna be awsome. Being able to download NES, SNES, and N64 games on the Revolution is freakin awsome.

Edited by Laice_

So it has a modified design and you can download older games, big deal, it still looks like a DVD player painted black.

Also, I would buy this, if they had actual good games. Most the games I play aren't cartoonish, or 'child oriented' and so I probably won't buy the system unless they can get actual good 'over the age of 13' type games.

If they make Super Mario Sunshine II I think that Nintendo needs to be smacked.

So it has a modified design and you can download older games, big deal, it still looks like a DVD player painted black.

Also, I would buy this, if they had actual good games. Most the games I play aren't cartoonish, or 'child oriented' and so I probably won't buy the system unless they can get actual good 'over the age of 13' type games.

Guest Grapehead

Now that's how to show them the chips, Nintendo. Old-school Nintendo games online? I'm so there in 2006. Add to that a rather cool design (yes, I don't give any bit of a shit about it looking like a DVD player especially with the ugliness of PS3 and XBox) and I'm looking quite forward to Nintendo's newest.