Official Transfer Thread

Guest The Real Deal

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Real could do with Baptista more than a lot more than people are giving them credit for. With Raul taking more of a winger role towards the end of last season and Ronaldo proving he's well past his best, another striker would have been needed before the start of next season. The fact that they have now secured two, with Robinho's services also acquired, will surely pave the exit of Owen.

I'd say Real could do with Baptista more than a lot more than people are giving them credit for. With Raul taking more of a winger role towards the end of last season and Ronaldo proving he's well past his best, another striker would have been needed before the start of next season. The fact that they have now secured two, with Robinho's services also acquired, will surely pave the exit of Owen.

Ronaldo is still the best striker in the world. Bar none. He's awesome, he's been past his best since he was like 20 according to most people.

I dunno about him being the best, but he is nowhere near as over the hill as some people make him out to be.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Ronaldo is class, and he always seems a top guy too. Laughing and the like.

Gooner's hatred for all things spurs is stupid. Van Der Mayde is quality, if he was joining Arsenal, he'd be "amazing", but because he is joining spurs, he "not that good".

Won't annoy me if it means he comes to us. (Y)

RAFA EYES TWO MORE SIGNINGS

Steve Hunter 30 July 2005 

Rafael Benitez wants to make two more new signings by the end of next week with a right winger and a centre half his prime targets. 

The Liverpool manager says he is happy with the way his squad is shaping up but he wants to make it even stronger with more reinforcements.

Benitez said: "I am very happy with the squad, with the way they are working in training and in matche and I am happy with the new players. But I am still looking for a centre back and a right winger and we need to bring these players in during the next seven days."

The Liverpool manager will not be drawn on names of who his targets are and has yet to rule out a possible swoop for Real Madrid star Luis Figo.

Benitez said: "I always say that a player is not yours until he has actually been signed. We have alternatives to these players and my idea is to always be looking at all your options."

The Liverpool manager says he is happy with the pre-season so far and believes with hard work and good football the Reds could have a good season.

Benitez said: "I am realistic. I always think about winning the next game and nothing else. I know it will be difficult but it you start the season winning games then it helps your confidence and your performance.

"We have a better squad than last season and we have a lot of hungry players who want to win. If the players continue working as hard in training as they have been doing then I can dream of the possibilities.

"We have forwards who bring different qualities and different possibilities to the team and it is good when they score goals. But it is also important that we get goals from the midfield and even from the defenders, and this has been happening.

"We are scoring a lot of goals so I am not too worried about goals we have conceded. When you look at the goals we have conceded some have come at the start of games but most have come at the end of matches which we have been two or three goals ahead and our players have been looking for more goals.

"That comes down to concentration and this will improve as the players fitness improves and they are more ready for matches."

Benitez also wanted to thank the Liverpool fans for their fantastic support to the team as on Tuesday night more than 350 Reds fans were in Kaunas for the Champions League qualifier.

Benitez said: "When I was manager of other teams and we played pre-season games away from Spain we would sometimes have 10 or 20 fans with us. But at Liverpool it is different. There are usually hundreds of fans wherever and whenever we play.

"This is something that is very special and something that the players and myself really appreciate. It is one of the reasons why I always say we have the best supporters in the world."

The Reds boss also says he was flattered by favourable comments from the chairman David Moores about him.

Benitez said: "I am flattered by what the chairman has said but I prefer only to look at my next challenge and not to look too far ahead. But I am really happy at the moment." 

Edited by pigeon

Ronaldo is class, and he always seems a top guy too. Laughing and the like.

Gooner's hatred for all things spurs is stupid. Van Der Mayde is quality, if he was joining Arsenal, he'd be "amazing", but because he is joining spurs, he "not that good".

I don't hate all things Spurs. I just don't rate van der Meyde that much, that's all.

There are plenty of players at Spurs that I would actually like Arsenal to sign, Defoe, Carrick, Davids, King and Robinson.

I'm glad Rafa sees that we need a centre back. Carra and Hyypia (except in the pace department) are fine, but with the amount of games we'll be playing this season we're going to need some cover. I've heard the Andrade links, Upson's name has been mentioned as well.

Any Birmingham fans; is Upson any good? I haven't seen him play all that much.

I'm glad Rafa sees that we need a centre back.  Carra and Hyypia (except in the pace department) are fine, but with the amount of games we'll be playing this season we're going to need some cover.  I've heard the Andrade links, Upson's name has been mentioned as well.

Any Birmingham fans; is Upson any good?  I haven't seen him play all that much.

Newcastle have completed the capture of Australian defender Craig Moore.

The 29-year-old has put pen-to-paper on a two-year contract after passing a routine medical at St James' Park.

Moore, formerly of Rangers, was available on a free transfer following his release by Bundesliga outfit Borussia Monchengladbach.

"I've watched The Premiership for many years and it's always been a place where I would like to play," he told the club's official website.

"I finished my time in Germany, my family didn't really settle there and we were always looking to try to get back to the United Kingdom.

"I don't feel as if I'm an old player, I think 29 is a good age. It's an extremely tough league but one I'm really looking forward to playing in."

The Canterbury-born stopper, who also has experience in England with Crystal Palace, has 30 caps for his country.

The Australian is The Magpies' fourth signing this summer after joining Tim Krul, Emre and Scott Parker at the North East club.