TNS vs Liverpool...maybe?

Liam

TNS want Liverpool Euro play-off 

Welsh champions TNS have offered Liverpool an unlikely opportunity to defend their Champions League title.

TNS chairman Mike Harris says the Reds can take his side's place in the first qualifying round draw if they win a play-off match between the two sides.

"We've an open mind to a pre-qualifier for our position in the Champions League," Harris told BBC Wales Sport.

Liverpool failed to qualify for next season's Champions League after finishing fifth in the Premiership.

The Football Association has confirmed that the top four teams will be entered into next season's competition, and Uefa says it has no plans to give Liverpool special dispensation to defend their title.

But the FA says it will lobby strongly for Liverpool to be entered into the qualifying rounds.

Said FA executive director David Davies: "If they are admitted at an early stage they could play one if not two of the smallest sides in Europe and for those clubs it would be a fantastic prospect in terms of both football and finances to face the European champions."

Welsh Premier champions TNS made their Champions League debut in 2000, losing 6-2 on aggregate to Levadia Maardu of Estonia.

Only Barry Town have managed to progress past the Champions League's first hurdle since the Welsh Premier's inception in 1992/93.

Harris, therefore, believes a high-profile match against Liverpool makes greater financial sense than playing against a European minnow.

"Such a play-off would enjoy huge media coverage," he added. "It would bring the image of our league to the whole of the UK.

"We suffer immensely compared to other nations because we're right next door to the English Premiership which takes all the media and all the cash.

"We as a nation and as [Welsh Premier] clubs are trying to put very stringent Uefa criteria in place in terms of our grounds which needs massive investment.

"Such a game would help us achieve some of our ambitions. And with a bit of luck we might beat them."

Harris said he has not yet contacted Uefa with his proposition, but European football's governing body is unlikely to sanction such a game.

The Football Association of Wales would also have serious concerns over giving up its sole Champions League place.

Credit: www.bbc.co.uk/sport

I think this is a good idea. A lot of people have (probably jokingly) said that Liverpool should play some shitty Welsh, Irish or Scottish side for a chance to qualify, so I hope this happens.

I think if Liverpool don't get offered a spot by UEFA (which, to be honest, they should do as the champions should defend), then it's either this or play Everton for the spot. They should have a chance at defending the title, even if it means another team gets knocked out.

Besides, who'd have a better chance of winning the Champions League - Liverpool, Everton or TNS? Liverpool are the ones with the best opportunity to succeed.

I think if Liverpool don't get offered a spot by UEFA (which, to be honest, they should do as the champions should defend), then it's either this or play Everton for the spot. They should have a chance at defending the title, even if it means another team gets knocked out.

Besides, who'd have a better chance of winning the Champions League - Liverpool, Everton or TNS? Liverpool are the ones with the best opportunity to succeed.

No, Everton did better than Liverpool in the league so they should not have to "qualify to qualify" for the Champions League. While Liverpool have a better chance, that's just wrong.

The TNS thing should happen, if anything does.

Everton have to qualify anyway, so what will one extra match make a difference to? If they are that good, they'll beat the former champions and go through to the next round of qualifications.

If Everton are good enough, then they will do it.

Everton have to qualify anyway, so what will one extra match make a difference to? If they are that good, they'll beat the former champions and go through to the next round of qualifications.

If Everton are good enough, then they will do it.

But Everton should have to qualify against the teams that got into the qualifiers by finishing in Champions League spots in their LEAGUE, not against Liverpool. I've said Liverpool should be in it, but if I had to choose over who deserves to be in it the most out of Liverpool and Everton, it's Everton all the way

But Everton should have to qualify against the teams that got into the qualifiers by finishing in Champions League spots in their LEAGUE, not against Liverpool. I've said Liverpool should be in it, but if I had to choose over who deserves to be in it the most out of Liverpool and Everton, it's Everton all the way

Thing is, the whole Champions League ass-backwards. It's called the Champions League, so let's have ONLY the champions of every European country shall we? The other teams can go into the UEFA Cup and some other competition they can make up.

In which case, Liverpool should go over Everton as they won the whole damn tournament, while Everton only qualified through their league.

:blink:

ONLY the champions of every European country, Liverpool didn't win the league so in the Champions League I described, no they wouldn't be in it.

So you don't want Arsenal in it next year, then?

Obviously I would, but we didn't win the league so we shouldn't be in it. It should be and elite tournament in my opinion.

Edited by The Monkey Molester