Man United Thread

Jook

Man, if there were ever a game to hook a North American audience it was definitely that one. Plenty of near-violence, plenty of scoring and most importantly, plenty of passion. And fuck, I can't remember the last time I saw a head butt in hockey. Great stuff.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van Nistelrooy comeback on cards

Ruud van Nistelrooy could be back for Manchester United at Everton on Saturday if he comes through training without a problem this week.

The 28-year-old Holland striker will make a well-timed return to United's Carrington training base on Tuesday after almost three months on the sidelines with an Achilles injury.

"Ruud comes back on Tuesday and we need to assess how far on he is," said United boss Sir Alex Ferguson. "There is a chance he could be involved against Everton but we will just have to see how he comes through training."

Ferguson has always maintained van Nistelrooy's major target was the Champions League clash with AC Milan on February 23 and has indicated he would be happy to let the former PSV Eindhoven striker play against the Italians without the benefit of a warm-up game.

But if van Nistelrooy proves his fitness during the week, a spot on the bench for the FA Cup encounter at Goodison Park is a definite possibility as Ferguson looks to ease the pressure on man-of-the-moment Wayne Rooney.

"The training he has been doing in Holland has been perfect and I am very satisfied with it," added Ferguson.

Despite Van Nistelrooy's lengthy absence, he was only removed as United's top scorer on Sunday when Rooney netted his 13th of the campaign to put the Red Devils on the road to a 2-0 Manchester derby victory.

Rooney set up the win when his near-post effort from Gary Neville's cross flicked in off Richard Dunne. The England striker could claim that goal but the second, with Dunne again supplying the final touch, belonged solely to the unlucky Irishman.

recently Man Utd have been doing really well without Van the man so what they going to be like WITH him back, this spells bad news for Arsenal but there too far behind Chelsea to even scare them :P

Chelsea may still lose to ManU and Arsenal. Then they'd only have a 3 point lead over the the table. It's their title to lose as I've said before, but ManU don't seem to be making any mistakes in pushing them to the end. Ruud returning can only strengthen them.

I'm sure he'll be an extremely important factor in the Milan game.

Neville in local talent pledge

Gary Neville has insisted Manchester United would never follow the lead of bitter rivals Arsenal by fielding a squad comprised entirely of foreign players.

The Gunners made history earlier in the week by naming a squad without one British player for their match with Crystal Palace.

That move has drawn criticism from many quarters, and even a warning from Uefa that Arsenal will have their UEFA Champions League squad reduced if they do not comply with the proposed quota scheme.

In a veiled swipe at the policy of the North Londoners, Neville claims it is not an issue that will ever arise at Old Trafford as the implementation of local talent is integral to the club's success.

"There will always be local lads - there has to be," Neville told One United magazine.

"It's so important and while this manager is in charge of the club, that is never going to change.

"We've players from countries all around the world making up the squad now, but any manager who takes charge here in the future will have to have local lads in the team.

"I don't think any manager coming here would be brave enough not to bring through young local players, because the fans demand it.

"It's traditions like that, and of course playing attacking football, which makes Manchester United so popular across the country and around the world."

Fletcher, in my opinion, will never be more than United back-up. He seems like the kind of player who's not quite sure what position he plays.

Depending on the occasion;

· He's an attacking midfielder without the goal-scoring edge a player of Paul Scholes quality possesses.

· He's a winger who again, lacks the attacking edge and defends too much. Also stated he dislikes playing on the wing.

· He's a one-dimensional defensive midfielder who fails to hold together the midfield like a Roy Keane can.

I know he’s pretty young and he has came leaps and bounds in the last year or so, but Fletcher still hasn’t done nearly enough to warrant a first-team spot. Him being injured is a disappointment all right, but its certainly not something the team will lose any sleep over.

The fuss this is generating is so pathetic.

The reason it's generating a fuss is that when a team starts playing all foriegn teams, where is the room for the young UK players to develop?

This is exactly what happened in Scotland, and look how the Scottish football team is doing now, even worse then they normally do.

I agreed with the UEFA/FIFA (can't remember which one) idea for 4 homegrown players (including 2 academy players) in each squad for the Champions League, with that number increasing up to 8 in the years to come.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

You want the best team, you buy the best players, thats the aim of the game, kicking out some foreigners to make room for some sub-par English guys will just ruin your team.

English guys get a chance in the youth setup, those that are any good make the first team, those that are shit end up at league 2 clubs and go to the newspapers blaming their managers for them being shit.

You want the best team, you buy the best players, thats the aim of the game, kicking out some foreigners to make room for some sub-par English guys will just ruin your team.

English guys get a chance in the youth setup, those that are any good make the first team, those that are shit end up at league 2 clubs and go to the newspapers blaming their managers for them being shit.

I don't think that's the point. I think the point is that more attention needs to be paid to the development of homegrown talent. Which I think is true. Then the English players wouldn't be sub-par compared to the foreign players. I'd love for more good English players to be pushed up through the ranks and into the Premiership and possibly the England squad.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I don't get the problem then, there are plenty of English players in premiership team youth systems, who's fault is it if they don't make it to the top level? hardly the clubs, they had the chance.