RIP Richard Whiteley

Liam

Presenter Richard Whiteley dies 

Television presenter Richard Whiteley has died after a long illness.

The host of Channel 4's day time quiz show Countdown had been recovering from pneumonia and missed recording of the upcoming series.

The 61-year-old presenter from West Yorkshire fell ill back in May and was rushed to hospital in Bradford. He had been said to be "recovering slowly".

Whiteley, who fronted the show with Carol Vorderman since 1982, is still on screen as the show is pre-recorded.

Ms Vorderman's agent, John Miles, confirmed Whiteley had died.

Last November Whiteley was honoured with an OBE from the Queen, who is said to be a fan of the show, as was the late Queen Mother.

Really sad news. I used to watch Countdown quite a lot, and to hear he died is a shock.

RIP

Countdown used to be a big part of my minimal amount of TV viewing, as it was on during a lot of my breaks at college, and I always watched it with my brother whenever I went up north, and I'm genuinely saddened. I used to poke fun at him all the time, but truth is, Whiteley will be missed, he just seemed like a genuinely nice guy, and was a real British, or at the very least just Channel 4, institution.

I was going to make a vowel/consonant joke making RIP, but decided against it.

Rest in Peace, Richard Whiteley. I can't believe I'm typing that. Heck, I never even would have guessed he was 61.

RIP Richard Whiteley.

Edited by Skumfrog

Guest Dakendo

Goddamnit, I'll miss watching the last 15 minutes of Richard on Countdown when I got home from school early.

Seemed like a really nice guy.

RIP Richard Whitely.

Guest Red Devil

I'm really shocked about this. I knew he was ill and all but didn't expect this. He lives in my area so I'm really saddened by this. He'll definatly be missed. R.I.P Richard.

Well that sucks, what am I meant to watch whilst getting ready for work now. A new presenter isn't going to make it better either, if you're listening TV god and I know you are.

RIP Richard Whiteley

My old English teacher was on Countdown once, he choked completely and Whitley gunned him. Remember when his mic obscured his tie and it looked like "Cuntdown"? My Grandad used to watch the show all the time, so I've seen like millions of episodes - I was always alright at the words one and so it's obviously sad to lose an entertainer who meant something to some people.

RIP.

I read that it's believed that he clocked up more time in TV hours than any other presenter alive.

He was a legend. Some teaching assistant was on Countdown when I was in Year 7 and she was rubbish. She got like....very few points....and he just kept making these comments that made her look like she was the worst player ever.

The numbers game will never be the same again :(

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but what's going to happen to Countdown now? Do you think they will look for a new presenter, or just end it out of respect for him? IMO Countdown wouldn't be anywhere near as good without Richard Whiteley hosting it.

Edited by Darloboy