WWE SmackDown! vs RAW 2006

Guest ch1ppy08

So you would rather play three games ranging from 'decent' to 'oh my God I can't believe I wasted $50 on this pile of shit,' than one excellent game every year? No Mercy is good enough (and customizable enough) to still pick up and play to this day, despite being five years old. There is not a single wrestling game since then that can be played five MONTHS later, let alone years.
Edited by Media 2.0

He wasn't calling SD a pile of shit, he was calling WM21 a pile of shit (because it was). We're not arguing about No Mercy, because that's old now. We're arguing about the three games that THQ produce new versions of each year, and saying that they'd be better pulling all the programmers from those games together and making one game a year that's actually good, for all three platforms (adding platform-specific features to the relevent platform releases).

Did you even read Zero's post? :blink:

I get your point about having a choice of games, because not everyone likes, for example, the reversal feature, and would rather play a game that doesn't have that. So maybe produce two games a year; one Arcadey game, and one Simmy game. There's no need to produce a different game for each console, especially since the Wrestlemania franchise is a pile of wank.

Edited by TheReilDeal

He wasn't calling SD a pile of shit, he was calling WM21 a pile of shit (because it was). We're not arguing about No Mercy, because that's old now. We're arguing about the three games that THQ produce new versions of each year, and saying that they'd be better pulling all the programmers from those games together and making one game a year that's actually good, for all three platforms (adding platform-specific features to the relevent platform releases).

Did you even read Zero's post? :blink:

I get your point about having a choice of games, because not everyone likes, for example, the reversal feature, and would rather play a game that doesn't have that. So maybe produce two games a year; one Arcadey game, and one Simmy game. There's no need to produce a different game for each console, especially since the Wrestlemania franchise is a pile of wank.

Edited by Media 2.0

No Mercy was good but the only thing I didn't like was the story mode in it. Where you had to lose matches on purpose to get 100% completed.

What I want is a story mode that includes more matches on the card(it's not a huge feature but adds to the feel that it is a WWE show), maybe even give some logical storylines to other parts of the show and not just your own. Also, the ability to add CAW into Story Mode is huge for me. I hope they allow that this year.

I've been happy with every Smackdown game up to now. Sure, the repeat of a storyline does get annoying, but I learn to deal.

So you like it because you have to? The exact response THQ is hoping for. "Oh well, we didn't have the time to put this in, but fuck off, it's the only mediocre wrestling game you're getting you silly consumers!"

And Media, if it's a good game, the majority of people will like it. The general consensus is that No Mercy is pretty much the pinnacle of wrestling games. Not perfect, but in five years, they could have crafted the perfect wrestling game going off the original premise of that game. Why is it that every single year, Yukes makes the Smackdown games more and more like No Mercy? Because they know that it was the perfect wrestling game for its time. Now, instead of wasting five years trying to turn a flawed engine into an engine that was pretty much perfected eight years ago, they could have just kept AKI on board on been improving on perfection this whole time. THQ has done nothing but waste year after year taking one step forward and then two steps back.

Now, I realize we're stuck with what we got, AKI is in EA's camp now, and I can live with that. But instead of spreading our resources so thin, why not just sit everyone down in front of an N64 with No Mercy playing and say, "this is how we're going to make wrestling games from now on. We're going to take our amazing ability to present the flash and flare of WWE programming and combine it with the perfect gameplay of a game that is five years old but still better than what we have." That's all it would take, not a bra and panties match, just solid gameplay, all your features going online, and a strong, varied season mode.

^^^ Listen to this man^^^

I haven't actually played No Mercy, but that is basically what I want from a WWE Wrestling game. DOR was good, but lacked options (I.E roster, and lack of match types.....and I don't mean Bra and Panties, I mean good match-types), and could get boring after a while (I find its a great play for a few hours, dont touch it for a few weeks, play it kinda game).

The last few SD! games have gotten boring as shit after a few days, even when I try and play it like I described DOR, or any other way I choose to play the game. No Mercy obviously had something as its 5+ years old, and still seems as popular as hell round here. DOR's kept me happy for about two months now. Hell, Smackdown 2 kept me happy longer than all the PS2 SD! games combined. It seems everyone knows what they want in a wrestling game, but the developers.

And, for the record, I have no issue with Buried alive been added, but I fail to see the need to push it as a major new feature, when a) It isn't, nor should it be, b) they havent got a single other gimmick match right so far, and c) if they were working on actually improving the core game, it'd be a nice little after-thought, not a major selling point.

what I reallt hate . they are goin to place tighter restrictions on what moves can be used as finishers . I like to be able to use any move as a finisher , a good ole spinning punch or elbow maybe. People will eventually hack it but still.

I want be pre ordering this year . I'll wait a few months before I purchase it.

Tna needs to get with EA and come up with a better wrestling game with the aki engine.

Zero's pretty much spouted my entire argument about the SD series, so I won't bother repeating, I'll just make a few small points.

1. I'm absolutely convinced that no one, not even the most markish sad-bastard-loser WWE fans, buys SD games for the Divas, and no one I know played a diva vs. diva match other than the obligatory one they needed to compelte the challenge on SDvR. T'n'A might work to increase sales when it's real, but not when it's computerised. Come on THQ, how sad do you think we are?!?!

2. Alternate attires. It really irks me that THQ said it takes too long to do alternate attires. For a start, they're a fucking rich, global company, they have nothing BUT time. Secondly, I'm not asking for a lot, just one, maybe two alternates for each guy. Since when do you see a guy wrestle in the same gear week in week out? And, for that matter, when do you see guys wrestle in expensive suits (other than the occasional scuffle). It's retarded, it's useless, and if you're working more to create a WWE feel to the game (as they said in the interview - the whole business about leaving legends out of story mode), this issue needs to be sorted.

3. CAW. I've said it before, but seriously; how many people want to make a guy in flowery tights and a rainbow afro? Gimme some good, likely-to-be-used textures, more realistic wrestling attire (fuck the 100s of bras and swimming costumes) and an easier way to create faces. Yeah, I know you can get some good results with the face/head modelling stuff, but I don't want to sit there for an hour trying to sculpt the nose just right. I dunno, give some generic heads that can be used from the get-go, but that look different enough to keep if we don't feel like spending hours editing. Something. Anything. And sort out the hair too, long hair has never EVER looked good on this game, and it's fairly difficult to get some good-looking, realistic colours, too.

Basically, THQ, start concentrating on the flawed aspects of the core game rather than bolting on pointless shit that no one cares about after using it twice and having the novelty wear off. Chop battles? Yeah, nice idea, but get the fucking huge gauge off my screen (especially annoying in multiplayer).

And the reason, before you hammer us on it [laughs], is because we think that fans would probably be disappointed that we spent time on that rather than give them more and better unlockables for going through season mode.
Edited by Tristy

Guest Majick

what I reallt hate . they are goin to  place tighter restrictions on what moves can be used as finishers .  I like to be able to use any move as a finisher  , a good ole spinning punch or elbow  maybe. People will eventually hack it but still. 

With all the cuts made today, how much reprogramming do you think they have to do? More justification for fewer features?

Most of the people released today didn't have much of a prayer of getting into the game anyway.

Ok, while most of you complain about not being able to have extra costumes, etc, I will mention this. Adding extra costumes DOES take time, much to all of your dismay. To add in say, Batista in a suit, you have to get the clothes to mive just right, make sure the hair doesn't clip through, and all sorts of shit like that. Just adding one wrestler takes one day for them to do, much less add 3 or 4 extra costumes to some or all of the wrestlers. Same reason that the Dead or Alive series is released every other year. Trust me, I work for BattleBorne Studios.

Chris Carpenter

Ok, while most of you complain about not being able to have extra costumes, etc, I will mention this.  Adding extra costumes DOES take time, much to all of your dismay.  To add in say, Batista in a suit, you have to get the clothes to mive just right, make sure the hair doesn't clip through, and all sorts of shit like that.  Just adding one wrestler takes one day for them to do, much less add 3 or 4 extra costumes to some or all of the wrestlers.  Same reason that the Dead or Alive series is released every other year.  Trust me, I work for BattleBorne Studios.

Chris Carpenter

With all the cuts made today, how much reprogramming do you think they have to do? More justification for fewer features?

Most of the people released today didn't have much of a prayer of getting into the game anyway.

Well the Dudley Boyz would definatley of been on it, Have they acctully gone yet or are they staying until the ends of their contracts?

Tables matches on Smackdown Vs. Raw 2 just won't be the same :o

I wouldn't be surprised if they took this chance to say "Oh well, we were gonna incorporate 3D's through tables, but there's no point now the Dudleyz have gone." It'd get people to shut up about putting them in :P

On the topic of the new game, I'll probably end up getting it anyway. I like to have a wrestling game to waste some time on, but this is the first 'edition' of the SD! since the start that I've had a chance to play something else (i.e DOR etc) so it might end up being just a rental instead. There's some shit they seriously need to deal with from SDvR, Diva's and Buried Alive matches aren't enough to justify a completely new release in my opinion.

I wonder if it'd be that much of a bother to add an edit-superstar type mode instead of going through the business of making alternate costumes. Done properly in SDvR, CAWs could look pretty fucking realistic, so it's not as if there'd be *that* big a graphical leap between edited costumes. But then, if you could just update everyone's attire then you wouldn't need to buy the new games and could avoid all the incredibly interesting curves and spectacular looking hair they've got on their divas.

Edited by Kaneanite

Guest Iron Mary

No Mercy was good but the only thing I didn't like was the story mode in it. Where you had to lose matches on purpose to get 100% completed.

I liked that a lot, actually. It made sense that you shouldn't be putting yourself over all the time and be undefeated. You only had to lose 1 match to avoid getting screwed though. I missed that a lot in Day of Reckoning, where they forced you to win almost every match.