WWE SmackDown! vs RAW 2006

Guest ch1ppy08

All I can say is online title matches may make this game all worth it. It could now be possible for online leagues, so you can make your own E-Feds without all the role playing. That alone would get me to buy the game, as long as all you get online and join up!

I'm actually all for Bra and Panties, Buried Alive, and so fourth. While i'm not excited by seeing Virtual Victoria getting her clothes torn off it was a new type of match, and at least in HCTP (Haven't played anything since that), it was fucking difficult. I had fun with it.

However, I also think THQ's priorities are fucked up, and there are things far more important.

Out of all the people that buy console games, I guarantee that only a minority are even using the online aspects.

But, everyone insists that its "the future of gaming", I could argue, but I really don't care about the issue that much.

Anyway, im not going to even touch this game until I get some feedback from reviews and the experience of others. I liked HCTP, but I thought SVR was a step forward in some areas but a step back in many others.

The one thing that has me excited is the create-an-entrance feature. I know they have it on the other consoles, but I don't have those ones. I'm glad I can finally customise my pyro, it's a feature I've been waiting for ever since I heard the other games had it.

Finishers:

Instead of limiting the moves that can be used as finishers, the change I would like to see in regards to finishers is the damage done by them.

The most powerful moves can only be done as finishers, which is fine, but is exactly the reverse of the way it should be in my opinion.

Rather than reserving the most powerful moves for finisher-only they should make finishers the most powerful move no matter which move is chosen.

Example: If I want to go old school and use the DDT as a finisher, I want it to do finishing damage. I don't want it to do as much damage as a regular grappling DDT even though the animation would be the same.

While this may lead to some idiotic moments such as a "punch the guy once" finisher or something, it would add a lot of versatility to your choices for finisher. I mean I can't even begin to count the times in SvR where I would be choosing a finisher for my new CAW and find a cool looking move only to see that it doesn't do enough damage, or more often deciding that I can just do the move as a normal grapple move and free my finisher slot up for something more powerful.

Stamina:

I like the idea of stamina, but what I would really like to see is the ability to regain stamina though "hold" type moves. The moves are more-or-less in SvR and the other smackdown! games, but they serve very little purpose. If I spent 30 seconds having my opponent in a reverse chinlock to recover stamina, I think that would add something to the matches, and perhaps more importantly, give me an actual reason to use the move.

Season Mode:

I think that the season mode from Smackdown! SYM comes the closest to what I'd like to see in a wrestling game, though it still falls way short of my vision. I'd like to see more variety in the storylines. Maybe allow you to create your own feuds by running in on matches, etc. Which actually leads me to another point. I liked the fact that you could randomly run-in on (some) matches in SYM but I would like to see it have consequences, or an effect on your relationship with a certain wrestler, or even just make them run-in on one of your matches.

Basically, I guess my point about season mode is that I would like it to have varying, and interesting storylines, that allow you to do a little more in the way of choosing your character's creative direction. Also continuity, and hopefully replay value.

I'd also like to see them bring back the belt-system from No Mercy where you would not only defend the belt in Exhibition, but also maintain the champion whenever replaying season mode.

I think if they even put in a few of those features, I'd look at buying the game.

Stamina:

I like the idea of stamina, but what I would really like to see is the ability to regain stamina though "hold" type moves.  The moves are more-or-less in SvR and the other smackdown! games, but they serve very little purpose.  If I spent 30 seconds having my opponent in a reverse chinlock to recover stamina, I think that would add something to the matches, and perhaps more importantly, give me an actual reason to use the move.

Finishers:

Instead of limiting the moves that can be used as finishers, the change I would like to see in regards to finishers is the damage done by them.

The most powerful moves can only be done as finishers, which is fine, but is exactly the reverse of the way it should be in my opinion.

Rather than reserving the most powerful moves for finisher-only they should make finishers the most powerful move no matter which move is chosen.

Example: If I want to go old school and use the DDT as a finisher, I want it to do finishing damage.  I don't want it to do as much damage as a regular grappling DDT even though the animation would be the same.

While this may lead to some idiotic moments such as a "punch the guy once" finisher or something, it would add a lot of versatility to your choices for finisher.  I mean I can't even begin to count the times in SvR where I would be choosing a finisher for my new CAW and find a cool looking move only to see that it doesn't do enough damage, or more often deciding that I can just do the move as a normal grapple move and free my finisher slot up for something more powerful.

The new issue of Game Informer has a bunch of new screens and a couple new details.

-Ladder combat has been completely revamped. When two people are on the ladder you can now do power punches or go into four different grapples.

-Countering Irish Whips is much easier, so less cheap Rumble eliminations and Ladder match wins.

-From the way the article made it sound, every match will begin with a stare down, test of strength or a collar and elbow tie up.

-The select button will be the "breathe" button made famous in the Fire Pro series. You can also do restholds to regain stamina.

-Expect over 60 wrestlers on the final roster.

Stamina:

I like the idea of stamina, but what I would really like to see is the ability to regain stamina though "hold" type moves.  The moves are more-or-less in SvR and the other smackdown! games, but they serve very little purpose.  If I spent 30 seconds having my opponent in a reverse chinlock to recover stamina, I think that would add something to the matches, and perhaps more importantly, give me an actual reason to use the move.

They could expand on that by having a tug-o-war type deal, whereby you and the guy having the move done mash the buttons to keep an indicator in your half of the gauge. If it's in your half, your stamina increases, if it goes into his, he 'hulks up' and powers out of the move.

Ugh, no more button mashing please. I think we've moved on gameplay wise from international track and field, that and my controllers can't handle the punishment. Nor can my fingers. :P

Also with them saying the user might be able to turn some features on and off I really hope the match starting 'mini games' are optional. I don't much care for those.

Stamina:

They could expand on that by having a tug-o-war type deal, whereby you and the guy having the move done mash the buttons to keep an indicator in your half of the gauge. If it's in your half, your stamina increases, if it goes into his, he 'hulks up' and powers out of the move.

I'm all for button mashing when it comes to submission holds. They're supposed to implement a feeling of desperation and struggle, which is what button mashing is. I enjoy the timed reversals/escapes too, but I think there's a place for button mashing as well. The person doing the move shouldn't have to button mash as much though, they should automatically have the timed "apply pressure" gauge from the last game.

I just picked up Day of Reckoning the other day and I'm friggin sick of button mashing... Lifting guys, in submissions, in a double grapple, climbing shit.... Getting off the damn mat.

I agree with Zero though, button mashing should be implemented for submissions. The player pulling off the submission shouldn't have to tap as much though.

This Smackdown is shaping up to be the best. They seem to be including some things that they removed and adding in more features to make it closer to a simulation than an arcady punchfest. Should have been this way last year but what the hey.

I'd rather they take out the wrestler voiceovers though. They're unneeded. What I think would work is possible go the way Acclaim did with Attitude. Give all the wrestlers a handful of quotes and be done. Maybe have them say them when you select them (for example have Triple H say "I am the game and I am that damn good" if you select him for a match), before a match (possibly during the staredowns or something) or as part of taunts (Cena's "you can't see me"). In a tonne of voiceovers place, put in an improved HCTP season mode, not story, season. I don't want a one year linear story, give me a morphing and varying season that goes on indefinately. And going with this method would get those oh so special wrestler sounds bytes in there....

It would make the people who didnt want them and those that did have a compromise.

I still wish they'd include the CAW Passcode that they've been putting off since HCTP.

Definitely, that's something they should have been working on since they cancelled it. You'd think they would have ironed out the problems by now.

Wasn't it something to do with someone creating a CAW, being given a code for it, and then if someone else entered that code then the CAW would be recreated without having to go through every little bit.

Yep, each CAW would have like a 20 letter/number passcode and you could post them on the internet and be done with it. "The passwords would get too long" they said. Not if you eliminate half the useless shit in the CAW mode though.