WWE SmackDown! vs RAW 2006

Guest ch1ppy08

Don´t you get me started !

*pushes Matzat into flamewar* :P

I'd love to see a WWE game with a complete roster, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that it's not likely to happen anytime soon, and moaning about it in a thread on some totally unrelated internet forum isn't going to do much. Call me a fool if you want, but I'd rather make the best of what I've got, instead of complaining about something I can't change.

The problem is though Matzat is that over 100 wrestlers would mean over 100 storylines

What? No it wouldn't. Smackdown vs. RAW had over 50 wrestlers and it had, what, ten storylines?

and over 100 voice overs as well

There shouldn't be any voice overs in the game period.

as 100 different movesets and about 100 different themes.

And these things take a long time to put in? I can create a move set in ten minutes and I don't get paid for it like Yukes programmers do.

Yes you can have many high quality wresters in the game but graphics and models are nothing compared to the fact that each wrestler would have to be individually created with its own personality/moves/themes/etc.

And? I fail to see what's so difficult about that. Half the time they use pre-existing models anyway. The only impossible thing is to get a 100% accurate roster on the day of release because the WWE's roster is constantly changing. But there's nothing impossible about making a roster of at least 75 wrestlers, maybe if they actually stopped rushing games out to get another one on the shelves every November, they could make a great wrestling game.

Okay, for Kaneanite's counter-argument to what I said:

By "2 steps forward, 1 step back", I meant the games in general. SD1 & SD2 were two steps forward, but the transfer up to PS2 sucked. SYM & HCTP were good, but SVR was kind of a disappointment. Just going to list what matters to me.

SD1: 30, all inclusive. Single counter button, basic directional and move controls, only allowed for 8 grapple attacks from standing position, and generally kinda' like the previous WWF games as far as the other things. But it did get rid of the sequential button-mashing to execute moves, which was revolutionary at the time.

KYR: 45, all inclusive. Ditto for controls, but an improved season system and a Create-A-PPV option.

JBI: 30, all inclusive. Ditto for controls, but the graphics did improve due to the jump up to a better system. Unfortunately, the season mode suffered, as the programmers didn't take the time to learn everything about how the PS2 worked before putting out a game and therefore made it extremely goal-oriented and repetitive.

SYM: 60 including whatever. More moves for each wrestler, due to types of grapples, and also a two-button countering system. Season mode was improved somewhat. This had some announcer voice-overs that got old after a while.

HCTP: 63, including legends etc. Same controls as SYM, but they added on a damage system. Season mode was greatly improved, albeit the realism on the shows was kind of lost. They kept the backstage areas from SYM, which was a good idea. They had a fairly current roster, considering they had only 20 or so slots per brand.

Roster list for SDvsRAW last year - 30 people, including legends etc. A face/heel tactics bar was added, and the damage was made to be a bit more realistic. Unfortunately, the Season mode was total crap, because it locked you in to ONE superstar, and ONE only - PERIOD. If you wanted to change over, you had to re-set the entire damn season. Though the challenges, actual songs for soundtracks, online play, & voice-overs were nice features, they really were just features that could have been left out (or in the case of online play, improved) to allow for a better game for a single player.

Expected roster for SVR'06 - roughly 30 people, all inclusive. Lots of new features, an entirely different match system that more closely resembles No Mercy, so that's a plus. Still, small roster, and if it's anything like SVR'05, I'm prolly gonna' rent it once, and then never play it again. Dude, sorry to say, but I'm more of a gamer than I am a wrestling fan.

Ah, yes, that's really 2 steps forward, 1 step back, lather, rinse, repeat, and then just kinda' never take those two steps forward again, and instead make some changes that might not exactly be for gamers that don't want to use the online hookup.

Sorry, I'm an offline player, and that's how I'll always be.

• Admin

Expected roster for SVR'06 - roughly 30 people, all inclusive

Batista

The Big Show

Booker T

Carlito

Charlie Haas

Chavo Guerrero

Chris Benoit

Chris Jericho

Chris Masters

Christian

Christy Hemme

Danny Basham

Doug Basham

Eddie Guerrero

Edge

Eugene

Heindenreich

The Hurricane

J.B. Layfield

John Cena

Joy Giovanni

Kane

Khosrow Daivari

Kurt Angle

Lita

Michelle McCool

Mark Jindrak

Muhammad Hassan

Orlando Jordan

Paul London

Randy Orton

Rene Dupree

Rey Mysterio

Ric Flair

Rob Conway

Rob Van Dam

Scotty 2 Hotty

Shawn Michaels

Shelton Benjamin

Snitsky

Spike Dudley

Stacy Keibler

Steven Richards

Sylvain Grenier

Tajiri

Torrie Wilson

Triple H

Trish Stratus

The Undertaker

William Regal

I make that 50 wrestlers - and not missing too many, given when the roster was obviously decided.

And, of course, there are legends to be added to that total too.

Edited by Rabid Wolverine

I now revert to my former assessment. 2 steps forward, 1 step back, 2 steps forward, one step back. So I'm guessing that SVR'08 is gonna' suck.

Still, I now am prolly gonna' buy '06 now. With those features, plus the fact that they enlarged the roster, the season mode has to be better, or the programmers are total idiots.

Edited by Nick Adams

Guest Grapehead

For the record, licensed songs for created wrestlers was introduced in Day of Reckoning, which was released earlier, so it can't be held as a merit or demerit to the SD franchise, as it was obviously using the same licenses as DoR(same songs, save the Powerman 5000 tracks).

LEGENDS

Hulk Hogan

Jim "The Anveil" Niedhart

Bret " The Hitman" Hart

Iron Sheik

Rowdy Roddy Piper

Ted Dibiase

The Rock

Stone Cold Steve Austin

Andre The Giant

Animal

Hawk

Axe

Smash

Razor Ramon

Jimmy Hart (Manager)

Ultimate Warrior

I got this from a topic at GameFAQs (shitty, I know), but apparently they got the list from a website thats only for exclusive Yukes and THQ members. Not sure how reliable it is but might aswell put it out there.

Nice to see London in there, but there's no cruiserweights for him to wrestle barring Spike.

Chavo Guerrero

The Hurricane

Rey Mysterio

Rob Van Dam

Scotty 2 Hotty

Spike Dudley

Tajiri

No?

Nice to see London in there, but there's no cruiserweights for him to wrestle barring Spike.

Chavo Guerrero RAW

The Hurricane RAW

Rey Mysterio Well above cruiser division cardwise, but ok

Rob Van Dam Not a WWE cruiser, RAW

Scotty 2 Hotty Fine

Spike Dudley Said him

Tajiri RAW

No?

Scotty then. Ace. Cruiserweight title storylines should be good.

Well obviously I wasn't thinking about draft rosters. I'll keep my mouth shut in future :P

This is why voiceovers will ruin the season mode. In HCTP, you could simply switch the rosters; now because of the poorly acted, poorly produced, and all around shitty voiceovers, you can't. The only way I can see them getting around it is if no wrestler ever mentions another by name, and if that's the case, then what's the point of the voiceovers anyway? Also, because of voiceovers, you can't have AI controlled CAWs in your story mode. That's what I loved about HCTP, Smackdown consisted of a ton of my CAWs duking it out, defending titles against each other, it was great. With those fucking voiceovers, they might as well just do a Day of Reckoning story mode, it's linear as hell, but at least the stories are interesting and amusing.