The Rockstar Game Returns

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enzibereum, the newest heavy metal sensation from Finland, are ready to slaughter everyone with brutal grindcore-influenced death metal. FEAR THE TRUE ONES \,,/

Seriously, they got like a million different genres but no death metal or black metal as it's separate group? I smell FEAR :shifty:

Canada have a new Experimental outfit. By the awesome name of......"The Lost Art Of Autoerotic Asphyxiation". Beat that shit.

I suppose it's something to do while I'm not rp'ing on MM because my band are on hiatus.

I'm new to this. Is the only way to get points is by waiting till the end of the day/week whatever? I figure the answer is yes.

Edited by Retail Dragon

Avant Garde can be a few things as far as I know....

From an electronica side it's stuff that's quirky, trying to push music into newer grounds, messing with the usual bpm and tempos, can be a little random at times and tends to split critics and audiences. It's never middle of the road, more loved or hated.

Aphex Twin and Bjork are or have been at one time, avant garde.

Avant Garde, IMO, only works when tagged onto another genre (like Metal, Techno, etc etc). I know that Bloc Party are considered Avant Indie by some, and Pig Destroyer are Avant Grind.

Also, Dragsy, a lot of the emo/screamo bands you like tend to tout themselves as avant garde, so seems like you like a lot of pretentious tripe >_>

Best thing about Aphex twins was that star wars song they did.

And RVD, emo > *

Aphex Twin is awesome if you like the kinda music genre he is in.....I don't particularly, but I appreciate he has talent.

I find it funny that people think I dislike emo......I like some emo bands, just think that a lot of it isn't overly good.

And yeah, I've heard the avant garde term used with emo/screamo bands before....I hate that term.

Also, Dragsy, a lot of the emo/screamo bands you like tend to tout themselves as avant garde, so seems like you like a lot of pretentious tripe >_>

I had to ask what the term meant, which would imply I'd not heard the term, yet a lot of bands I like call themselves it. That works....how?

I know you'll be like "but that makes no sense" when I post this, but just because you know bands, doesn't mean you know what the genre the bands can be put in (for example, someone who liked Pig Destroyer would say they are Grind.....but then you can go that bit further and say Avant Grind....even I hadn't heard that term till Bushmeister used it here).....and admittedly, I'm a little off as it isn't usually the bands themselves who say that, but the record labels and the magazines that follow them.

I guess it's just another step down the laddder of label definement. Pretty much any band that takes a genre and adds buttons and windmills and all that fun stuff usually seem to get placed as "avant".......artsy, as you said....and a lot of emo bands do just that, and can/do get labelled as such.

EDIT: It's another thing where it depends on how deeply you look into genres. I know you don't, I know I do. I know people who think of metal as metal, and I know people who think of metal as million of sub-genres. Neither is right or wrong, just guess it depends on how pedantic people are.

Edited by rvdwannabe