Crazy Frog Techno

Smeagol

Has anyone heard that new dance song to the tune of Beverly Hills Cop, with the Crazy Frog making random noises in it? Apparantly it's quite the rave over in the UK, topping the charts for a month. I hate to say it, but it's actually kinda catchy. I'll probably hate it in a week though. For anyone who doesn't know, the crazy frog is that annoying ringtone thing. For more info, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_frog

Judging from what my previous post on this subject(namely, the fact it hit US airwaves) was, I was hoping that the US would prove themselves smarter than the UK and pan this song.

Unfortunately, torturing myself by continuing to listen relatively regularly to 92.3 PRO-FM has seen that apparently, the Crazy Frog is hitting big in the US.

I weep for my country.

This is the main reason why I never turn my radio on in my car. Just CD's. I'm trying to not hear that thing, because if I do, a killing spree will occur.

Unfortunately, torturing myself by continuing to listen relatively regularly to 92.3 PRO-FM has seen that apparently, the Crazy Frog is hitting big in the US.

I weep for my country.

I weep for you, you should know better than listening to PRO-FM. The dial for me begins at 92.5... I don't sink lower than that because I know what lies beneath. At least listen to Hot 106 or EEI 103.7 or 94.1 HJY or something else, for your sake. Hell, Lite 105 or Coast 93.3 is better than PRO-FM.

The original Axel F (Beverly Hills Cop) song was pretty decent. This Crazy Frog deal, I don't want to know. If it's drawing this sort of attention around the western World, it's got to be horrible.

I live on the west coast, so we're maybe a little slow to get the trendy shit. Actually, it's just me that's slow, because I don't listen to topten radio. The rest of the left coast probably falls right in line.

So just how bad is this frog thing? I'm not going to click a link and listen to it on purpose, but, for example, is it worse than "Who let the dogs out?" Is it worse than the Macarena or the Chicken dance? Is it bad enough that they will probably make a plastic frog that plays the song, ala Billy the Bigmouth Bass?

I live on the west coast, so we're maybe a little slow to get the trendy shit. Actually, it's just me that's slow, because I don't listen to topten radio. The rest of the left coast probably falls right in line.

So just how bad is this frog thing? I'm not going to click a link and listen to it on purpose, but, for example, is it worse than "Who let the dogs out?" Is it worse than the Macarena or the Chicken dance? Is it bad enough that they will probably make a plastic frog that plays the song, ala Billy the Bigmouth Bass?

It's not that it's a particularly bad song (though it is), because there are lots of bad songs out there. The thing is, it's a freaking ring tone! A ringtone so popular that they made it into a song. And there is actually an entire CD full of Crazy Frog songs. The second single, Popcorn, has already been released in the UK. This is the dumbest thing since the Hampster Dance CD.

From Billboard.com:

Crazy Frog Descending On North America

By Greg Prato, N.Y.

Having already conquered the U.K. singles chart with a remake of "Axel F," computer-animated creation Crazy Frog has his sights set on North America. Following its July 25 U.K. release, Crazy Frog's first album, "Crazy Hits," will arrive in North America in September via Next Plateau/Universal. A new U.K. single, a remake of Gershon Kingsley's 1972 hit "Popcorn," is due Aug. 15.

Crazy Frog began life as a ring tone, which, according to BBC News, has earned nearly $18 million to date for the Jamster company. The character crossed over into the world of music after being inserted into a dance remix of "Axel F" by producer Wolfgang Boss; the cut spent four weeks at No. 1 on the U.K. singles chart and has sold 450,000 copies in the territory, as well as 500,000 units in France.

Speaking exclusively to Billboard.com, Boss explains how he became responsible for the first hit single that began life as a ring tone (and not the other way around). "We produced 'Axel F.' as a product trying to serve both industries in the best possible way -- the 'standard' record industry by trying to produce a song that would be successful as a record being played on the radio and in clubs," he says.

"In addition, we wanted to appeal to the mobile phone industry," Boss continues. "We deliberately tried to produce a product with every intention to make it a hit for ring tone companies, and, at the same time, the music could benefit from the additional promotion provided by the technology."

Beyond "Axel F" and videos for that cut and "Popcorn," "Crazy Hits" will include remakes of everything from Tag Team's "Whoomp! (There It Is)" to the Human League's "Don't You Want Me" and Technotronic's "Pump Up the Jam." In North America, the track list will be slightly different but is not yet finalized, according to a spokesperson.

Not everybody has jumped on the Crazy Frog bandwagon. In the U.K., the character goes by the unofficial name of "The Annoying Thing," since its commercials are constantly aired during the evening on Channel 4 TV. BBC radio personality Chris Moyles has also taken to playing the song repeatedly to rile up listeners during his morning show.

Here is the international track list for "Crazy Hits":

"Intro"

"Axel F"

"Popcorn"

"Whoomp! (There It Is)"

"1001 Nights"

"Bailando"

"Don't You Want Me"

"Dirty Frog"

"Magic Melody"

"Pump Up the Jam"

"In The 80s"

"Pinocchio"

"Wonderland"

"Dallas (Theme)"

"The Pink Panther"

"Crazy Sounds" (a cappella)

Edited by Smeagol

Guest Iron Mary

Don't worry, Australia's fucked too. To think that an entry into a fucking graphics competition became a ringtone and then a success. I remember that fucking thing months before it got turned into a ringtone, when it was still a WMV in my inbox. I said it was annoying then (it's proper name IS 'The Annoying Thing'), and now it is even moreso cause it won't go away. :angry:

Fuck you Erik Wernquist, fuck you Jamster and fuck the people who made this RINGTONE a number one hit. Someone remix the Nokia Tune and we'll make a motza.

Don't worry, Australia's fucked too. To think that an entry into a fucking graphics competition became a ringtone and then a success. I remember that fucking thing months before it got turned into a ringtone, when it was still a WMV in my inbox. I said it was annoying then (it's proper name IS 'The Annoying Thing'), and now it is even moreso cause it won't go away.

My lecturer showed us the original Annoying Thing one day in Animation class and we all thought it was hilariously random. I can't help but glare at that same lecturer now that I know he contributed in some small part of getting people to like the fucking thing >_>