The official World Cup Quali Week thread

The Third Dukes

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not opinion, Lampard's form (for England and Chelsea) over the past two years has been better than any player, in any position, in England. Lampard has consistently scored for the national side and had a real effect on games, Gerrard hasn't.

While Gerrard is a great player, Lampard is one of the first names on the team sheet IMO and it might be worth exploring other options for at least a friendly game. And maybe even, shock horror for Sven, playing the same team and system for around 70 minutes.

Neither of them did against N.I.

Watch Gerrard play for Liverpool, then for England. There's a huge gulf in the way he plays for Liverpool and for England. For us, he's basically given a free role - where he's at his best. With England, he has to be careful because Lampard may not hold either. Unfortunately, Lampard does that as well. I'd say that's more Sven's fault than there's, he needs to get them organised.

And what makes you think Beckham would be content with sitting back and holding? He hasn't got the discipline to stay out on the right, and I very much doubt he'd have to discipline not to go forward.

Oh, and Allardyce has said he wants to manage England.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/4229036.stm

At least it's an English manager who actually wants to manage us.

Edited by The Rock Box

To fuck with Sam Allardyce, I dream of an England team that plays football.

I agree with you on Lampard/Gerrard, that's why I suggest trying something new, even in a friendly. Get Carrick, who (even with the Spurs bias) is good enough, or Parker in to sit with Lampard. If Sven wanted to accomidate most of them, he could play a holding player then Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard as centre-mids. But then you sacrifice width and, most importantly, Wright-Phillips.

He has a few big decisions to make anyway.

To fuck with Sam Allardyce, I dream of an England team that plays football.

I disagree with that. I think Sam Allardyce is the master of getting the most out of players, and hiding thier gaping faults. He doesn't have many "stars" in his Bolton team , yet he grinds out results. With a better group of players, he wouldn't have to resort to this, and would still probably get results.

Admittedly, he is more of a day to day manager, and I can't see him as England manager.

Beckham can't tackle. And Gerrard's distribution is sometimes on par with Beckham (as shown by the way he used to link up with Owen at Liverpool). We're at our best when we're playing quick, fluid football - and when Beckham hoofs it upfield we lose that. I'd much rather have Rooney, Owen, SWP and Gerrard/Lampard bombing it up the pitch on the break than Beckham hitting it fifty yards to Owen, only for him to be isolated and lose the ball.

Fanboy much? Did you not see some of the balls Becks was playing?