The official World Cup Quali Week thread

The Third Dukes

What a week, eh? Matches from today to Wednesday, and all sorts of spots on the line. Look at the list of people who could (with a series of positive results) qualify for the World Cup this week:

* Brazil -- if they beat Chile

* Cote d'Ivoire -- if they beat Cameroon

* Croatia -- if they win twice (Iceland and Malta) and Sweden loses twice (Bulgaria and Hungary)

* Italy -- if they win twice (Scotland and Belarus) and anyone getting points in the Norway/Slovenia match fails to win on Wednesday (Norway gets Scotland, Slovenia gets Moldova)

* Mexico -- if they win once (United States or Panama)

* Netherlands -- if they win twice (Armenia, Andorra) and Czech Republic loses twice (Romania, Armenia)

* Poland -- if they win twice (Austria and Wales) and England loses twice (Wales and Northern Ireland)

* Portugal -- if they win twice (Luxembourg and Russia) and Slovakia loses to or ties Latvia

* Togo -- if they beat Liberia and receive a draw between Zambia and Senegal

* Tunisia -- if they beat Kenya and Botswana beats Morocco

* Ukraine -- if they win once (Georgia or Turkey) or tie against Turkey combined with a Turkey loss to Denmark and a loss or tie by Greece against Kazakhstan

* United States -- if they win once (Mexico or Guatemala)

In addition, two of the four "playoff" spots will be determined this week, as Bahrain meets Uzbekistan and Australia meets the Solomon Islands. According to the FIFA rankings, the big match this week is #5 Mexico and #6 USA. But I'm sure you don't care about THAT. :P

Okay, let's discuss.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major hyped for tonight, I've been waiting for Italy/Scotland for months. While some might not see it as a big game, I certainly do. Scotland really do need something from it, so I don't see it being a boring game for one minute, cant wait.

England is going to be good imo too. They're coming off of that shocking loss, so they'll surely want to silence a few critics tonight.

Poland -- if they win twice (Austria and Wales) and England loses twice (Wales and Northern Ireland)

Not going to happen. I reckon England will come away with at least 4 points.

...and yeah, FIFA rankings mean fuck all to anybody but... well... you it seems.

Poland -- if they win twice (Austria and Wales) and England loses twice (Wales and Northern Ireland)

Not going to happen. I reckon England will come away with at least 4 points.

...and yeah, FIFA rankings mean fuck all to anybody but... well... you it seems.

We will win both games, but by narrow scorelines I reckon. Wales will be very defensive and the atmosphere in Ireland might well unsettle even the most experinced of our players.

Current Score: Scotland 1-0 Italy.

*groin thrusts*

Oh yeah, to actually qualify we need to pretty much win all our remaining games and hope everyone else fucks up. So far so good.

In other news, England got a marginal win over Wales, 1-0 and now top their table.

Edited by The Kraig

Senegal beat Zambia, so Togo cannot qualify with a win tomorrow. Oh well.

And Ukraine is up at the half on Georgia, 1-0. 45 minutes from history.

Australia put a whupping on the Solomons, so odds are they'll face Colombia or Chile for a slot. I think they can beat Chile, but Colombia will beat them.

And GO SCOTLAND! (Y)

I've literally been watching for ten minutes, but already..this is disgusting....

The Italian team belong in a pantomine, directed by the referee (what a distrous pantomine that would be...)

AND SCOTLAND ARE STILL WINNING :woot:

Fuck you, Italian pussies. Kraigy's quote in my sig = spot on.

I have never seen Italy play so bad, nor have I seen Scotland play so good (except against Brazil in the WC98).

Another 45 minutes to go, though. Every minute of the game we're ahead feels like forever. :(

Edited by The Kraig

Yeah, why haven't Rangers signed him yet? We need a new Klos.

We should re-sign Kenny Miller, no way do Wolves deserve a talent like this. He's been amazing all game.

Nice slap by Totti.

Edited by The Kraig