The official World Cup Quali Week thread

The Third Dukes

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the fact that they can incorporate all the players in todays team in a 4-4-2 misses you completely?

Stick Beckham and Lampard/Gerrard in the middle, Wright Phillips out wide, and the other of the L or G out on the side as well....or even stick Beckham out on the wing.

The fact that they can easily incorporate Beckham outside a 4-5-1 means I'm confused by how the "formation was made for him"......but hey, I'm sure what the media says must be true....

EDIT: Easiest way of putting it...if the formatione was changed, why wouldn't Beckham play? Especially considering possibly playing 3 up front in my opinion isn't the greatest idea.

Edited by rvdwannabe

I simple say don't play Joe Cole....easy as that for me, no question.....irrelevant of what you do with Beckham, I just don't think Cole should be there, personally.

And the media comment I made to you is because its happened before with players before Beckham (Shearer ring a bell). He wasn't getting the delivery in matches, and the media were all like "OMG, HE IS SHIT, GET RID OF HIM" and everyone joined in, even though he could do fuck all about it....he retired from International football, banged in goals for Newcastle, and then everyone was like "OMG COME BACK" and like the don he is, he told them where to go. The same thing happens with Beckham...he's the easiest person to blame, even when he is seemingly playing good, and people seem to follow it....it's BS, IMO.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Well that was awful. We created little, we didn't look sharp, none of out players did a good job and frankly we didn't deserve anything from the game. It's a sad day when Cole, Wright-Phillips, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen and Rooney can't penetrate a defence consisting of a Championship reverse, Aston Villa man, someone I’ve never even heard of and League One player. We needed a high intensity game plan today to really get at the Irish and frankly we tried to play against our strengths and slowly pass it around. Ridiculous when you consider the league that all of these players bar Beckham plays in.

Sven was also more than questionable throughout the game, bringing off Wright-Phillips? Owen Hargreaves? Playing key players out of position and with his constant changing confusing even his captain? Letting someone else do the dirty work for him in the shape of McLaren? When we really need Sven what does he do? Bugger all! Brazil! Portugal! And now Northern Ireland! For the highest paid manager in football things have to improve.

Why did we deviate from the 4-4-2? Why on earth did we try to play something that we are not use too? Did we need to change? No! 4-4-2 doesn't let us down and Sven seems to think he has to play a fancy formation to make himself look good! He plays one up front so he can keep one player on the pitch and then he changes that so he can play the same guy in a position where tackling is key but yet the Beckham doesn't know the meaning of the word. I think Beckham is good at what he does and may well of been our best player but if you based a formation around Steven Gerrard he'd do the same, or Cole, or Lampard. We have some many World Class players now that we don't need to accommodate Beckham and if he doesn't fit to the plan then drop him, show some damn balls Sven! Beckham is good at what he does but being a good passer and freekick taker isn't enough to make you World Class.

The simple rule is, English football and our footballing minds revolves around 4-4-2.

Which means Rooney and Owen/Defoe up front.

Beckham/Wright-Phillips/Gerrard/Cole/Lampard/A better left winger in midfield.

Neville, Cole, Terry/King/Ferdinand at the back.

Robinson in goal.

You can't keep everyone happy, and shouldn't have to. Pick players for position. If your two good players both play right wing, then one has to be dropped to maintain shape.

Other teams can do it, why can't we?

Actually, TRB, drop one of Lampard or Gerrard. They don't work well together in the centre with each other, as they offer up too similar a game. Drop one of them, put Beckham in the centre, and then that sorts it out. Beckham drops balls over the top for Owen to run onto, or direct balls for Rooney to deal with.

Yeah, thats what me and FI came up with......I dunno why I forgot I coulda just dropped one of them two, as I'd had talks with my Dad about why Gerrard and Lampard at Chelsea wouldn't work.

I personally wouldn't. Gerrard has never been allowed to do for England what he does for Liverpool week in and week out. First he played with Scholes which meant he had to sit and hold and now with Lampard he still doesn't get a full freedom. Gerrard with a holding midfield player would be England’s best bet for the middle in my view.