Woodgate plays for Real Madrid!

Chris2K

Jonathan Woodgate suffered a torrid Real Madrid debut, scoring a spectacular own goal and then being sent off against Athletic Bilbao.

In the first half Woodgate, 25, stooped to clear a Joseba Etxeberria shot only to head the ball past Iker Casillas.

Woodgate was red-carded on 65 minutes after picking up a second yellow card.

Despite Woodgate's sending off Real went on to comfortably beat Bilbao 3-1, with goals from Brazilian Robinho and a brace from captain Raul.

Woodgate's first yellow card came when he lunged at Bilbao midfielder Carlos Gurpegi just before the interval.

The second booking was for a foul on Etxeberria.

Injury to Ivan Helguera and a suspension for Sergio Ramos had allowed central defender Woodgate to make his debut over a year after joining Real from Newcastle in a £13.4m move.

The former Leeds United player had not started a competitive match since tearing a thigh muscle in a Premiership game against Chelsea on 25 April 2004.

He had been due to make his debut for Real last October but suffered a recurrence of the injury in a training game.

Woodgate did make a brief appearance for Real in the final five minutes of a pre-season match in August.

I don't dislike the guy at all, but after seventeen months, you can only do one thing...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Guest Small Blue

Any defender who has been out for the time Johnathan Woodgate has been would come back with a weak performance. If a normal Real Madrid player had done this, it'd be less funny. Give him time.

I watched the second half of this game an he didnt play badly and he was just trying to head away the cross for the own goal . I think the problem Woodgate will get in La Liga is that he is a pretty no nonsense Terry Butcher/John Terry center half and as you see on the sending off its gonna take alot of work . For me if you took away the bad decision to send him off it wouldve been a good debut , I think Woodgate is a good center half and when fit id put him joint 4th in the pecking order for England (Behind Terry , Rio , Sol and joint with King)

If i was a Madrid fan i'd be pretty pissed off, i mean he must be the highest paid per hour guy in the world. Well he's not quite David Dunn yet i guess. Anyway i'm sure he'll come good as i always thought he was a good centreback, perhaps Englands 3rd best.

Woodgate is way better than King.

Continuing your anti-Spurs players stance that you carry around every footy thread...

King's proper class and I'd put him alongside Campbell right now as I think Campbell's starting to fade out a little (even with his two goals last week).

Woodgate is also a great player but is still a few months off total return.

Apparantly Woodgate was getting cheered in teh second half and Spanish Football pundits are saying that he's playing his way into Real Madrid "cult" status which is good for him, especially if he keeps a no-nonsense approach. The supporters over there would appreciate that

Apparantly Woodgate was getting cheered in teh second half and Spanish Football pundits are saying that he's playing his way into Real Madrid "cult" status which is good for him, especially if he keeps a no-nonsense approach. The supporters over there would appreciate that

Edited by Malenko