Someone Explain to Me...

Cactus 3:16

Now, I know that some people feel that Pete Doherty is like, THE greatest rock star of 2005, blah, blah blah... and I would agree, I think that most of his stuff with The Libertines is great, and some Babyshambles stuff is great too. But there's one thing that I really don't understand... and that's how he's attracted this big, main-stream media attraction. His arrest the other day made it on to the BBC Six O'Clock news... over some really serious stuff happening in other parts of the world.

I can understand the music press being mad on him.. but the main-stram press? I really don't get it.

Edited by Cactus 3:16

They like to have an iconic figure to latch on to. Ever since The Libertines starting making waves, Pete was viewed almost as a potential "gone too soon star", to the point where some interviews with him would consist primarily of discussion of his legacy and "the rock and roll year of death".

Basically the media have found who they consider to be the first true rock star of recent years, but the obsession is pathetic. You get stuff in the 'papers like "Doherty spotted in pub!" and it's frankly upsetting, not least because of the insane invasion of privacy, and on a more personal note to myself, because it's turning so many people away from his music, which isn't all that bad.

If he does die in the next two years or so, it'll be interesting to see how many of the "Make Doherty History" brigade will suddenly become oh-so-respectful of him.

I find it funny how people gave musicians like Cobain shit, yet Doherty is the perfect example of someone getting WAY more attention then they are worth. The Libertines weren't even the best new UK Indie band, and he is nothing like what people build him up as. At best, his good stuff with the Libertines was passable, more than anything else.

If he does die in the next two years or so, it'll be interesting to see how many of the "Make Doherty History" brigade will suddenly become oh-so-respectful of him.

Cosign on that, a lot of the same "Cobain sucks!" people that detested Nirvana are probably huge Cobain fanboys now. Probably be the same with Doherty.

I'm curious about The Libertines now, can someone reccomend a song or something?

I didn't know who he was until a few weeks ago, where a friend made a comment in passing about a former-friend of hers, who now spends all her free time coked up to the eyeballs with Doherty's little entourage and sucking his cock. So yeah, my opinion of him revolves around the level of sleazebag.

Cosign on that, a lot of the same "Cobain sucks!" people that detested Nirvana are probably huge Cobain fanboys now. Probably be the same with Doherty.

I'm curious about The Libertines now, can someone reccomend a song or something?

Don't Look Back Into The Sun

Up The Bracket

What Became Of The Likely Lads?

Can't Stand Me Now

I'm not a big fan, but they have all been singles, and are all pretty ok IMO.

I second the support for What A Waster, it's pretty much their best song IMO. I also suggest Radio America, Music For When The Lights Go Out and Time For Heroes.