International Weekend

MDK

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'v enver visited this forum in my year and a bit that i've been on ewb, but i need to rant. ugh.

Sven needs to go. You cannot defend his substitutions. Taking cole out after beckham was sent off eliminated any width we had, and took the feet out from beneath our midfield.

Putting richardson on for owen was silly too, owen is more likely to do something than crouch. Crouch isnt mobile enough to be left alone up front.

The referree needs shooting. The second penalty that never was was a clear penalty, moreso than the one that was given. As for beckhams offences? pfft. The first one i can let him off on, but the second one was a joke.

Brings me to another point about sven, why is he sticking with becks? He hasnt put in a good england performance since 2002. He constantly drifts into the centre which is not where he has been asked to play, and as a result he's making us weaker.

We play far too defensive before Beckham went. Any one would think we were playing rugby, the ball was constantly being played backwards.

Watch them equalise in the last minute.

If Austria were to score, England would currently have no chance of coming back given the substitutions they've made.

Crouch up front by himself and a packed defense protecting a one goal lead, doesn't seem like the way England should be playing to me.

1-0, the final result. England were unlucky to lose Beckham but very lucky to get the points given the way they've played.

EDIT: And Turbo, see ravenjuice's comments for my feelings on the whole substitution situation, they basically echo my own. As a gamble, it worked but given the resources that England have it was hardly a gamble they absolutley had to take. I'd much prefer to kill the game off with another goal, something a player like Owen could no doubt achieve on the break, than hold out for the last 15 minutes to much weaker opposition.

Edited by public enemy

I thought Beckham got raped.

#1: Jumped fairly, Austrian dove. Yellow carded.

#2: Looked like he stumbled or slipped, because he tried to stop and took the guy down with a tiny clip, clearly accidental. Yellow card. Red card.

I can see why both could have been marginal yellow cards (elbows are dnagerous, Austrain MAY have had a shot on goal brewing) but for the first he should have got a second opinion from the linesman (since he was in no position to see if an arm stuck the Austrian) and for the second I'd have just given the free kick. It's in a very dangerous area, it was obviously accidental and he'd just been harshly booked right before.

Bah. I suppose I'm going to have to support England again in the World Cup (I'm half-English). I'm pretty sure Scotland'll make it into Euro '08 though.

Can we all agree that Beckham deserved to be sent off? And that we should drop him, stick Shaun Wright-Phillips on the right and give the captaincy to John Terry. Yes Sven has absolutely no idea what he is doing, as much as I like Crouch, he should have left Owen on his own up front. Anyone who thinks that we are going to win the world cup should visit a mental institution.