International Weekend

MDK

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so. What's the latest?

AFRICA: Togo, Ghana, Angola, Tunisia, and Ivory Coast are the five reps. Ivory Coast had to wait until quite literally the last minute, as a penalty in Cameroon would have seen them through at CIV's expense... except it was missed. So there, Ref.

ASIA: Bahrain - Uzbekistan (1-1 entering) on Wednesday. Winner gets Guatemala or T&T.

And now, Europe...

GROUP 1 -- Holland is in (31). Romania (25) is currently in second but has finished. Czoke Republic (24) has one last game, against Finland in Helsinki. A Finnish win and Romania would land the playoff berth. Anything else and the Czokes steal it.

GROUP 2 -- Ukraine is in (25). Turkey (20), Denmark (19), and Greece (18) are all still mathematically alive. Turkey travels to Albania, and a win puts them through to the playoffs. Denmark travels to Kazakhstan, and a win and Turkey non-win puts them in the playoffs. Greece hosts Georgia, and they need a win, a Turkish loss, and a Danish loss or draw.

GROUP 3 -- Portugal is in (27). Slovakia and Russia (22) play each other in Slovakia, and the Slovaks have the hammer should there be a draw. However, neither team can be a Lucky Loser.

GROUP 4 -- Okay, first off, Israel (18) leads the group but cannot possibly win it. Switzerland and France (17) play Ireland (16) and Cyprus. Those games are in Paris (FRA/CYP) and Dublin (IRL/SUI). If Cyprus beats France, Israel is in the playoffs. Otherwise, Israel is out. A Swiss win or draw puts them through unless France also wins, in which case France takes the group and Switzerland is second. Ireland, meanwhile, will qualify automatically with a win (again, unless France wins, in which case France is first and Ireland second). So, to summarize: FRANCE is in first with a win (unless Switzerland wins), and in second with a tie or a France-Switzerland combo; SWITZERLAND is first with a win, first with a tie (unless France wins) and second with a tie and France win; IRELAND is first with a win and France loss or tie and second with a France/Ireland combo; and ISRAEL will be second with a France loss regardless of what happens in Dublin.

GROUP 5 -- Italy is first, Norway is second due to sweeping Slovenia. Norway can't possibly be a lucky loser, so they'll be in the playoffs. Yawn.

GROUP 6 -- Poland and England are both in, one as the group winner and one as a lucky loser. Everyone can breathe easier now.

GROUP 7 -- For the sake of argument, let's assume Spain beats San Marino on the road. That puts the onus on Belgrade, where Serbia and Bosnia are playing. A win by Serbia and the Serbs are first while Spain is in the playoffs. A Bosnian win and Spain takes first while Bosnia goes to the playoffs due to sweeping Serbia. A draw? Well, we're not sure. Serbia (+14) and Spain (+10 + San Marino) would be even on points, wins, and head-to-head, and thus it would come down to goal difference. Either way, I feel sorry for San Marino. Now, should San Marino pull off a minor miracle and get points on Spain, Serbia is first and Spain second (unless Bosnia wins, in which case Bosnia is first and Serbia second). Spain and Bosnia could finish tied for second on points, but Spain has a six-goal cushion on Bosnia, and I don't see San Marino winning by that much.

GROUP 8 -- Croatia (23) will win the group unless they lose in Hungary and Sweden (21) wins over Iceland. However, that would give Croatia a Lucky Loser label and put them through anyway.

LUCKY LOSERS -- One of them will be in Group 6. Croatia or Sweden will be the other one, unless Sweden loses. In that case, the Czokes could catch them on goal difference (CZR +20, SWE +24). If the Czokes can't win, then Sweden will hit the Lucky Loser jackpot. Anyone else who finishes second goes to the playoffs (Norway is already there).

So, whose fate is still up in the air?

• Bosnia-Herzegovina

• Czoke Republic

• Denmark

• France

• Greece

• Ireland

• Israel

• Romania

• Russia

• Serbia-Montenegro

• Slovakia

• Spain

• Sweden

• Switzerland

• Turkey

See you in Germany, boys.

So do I. But then, with our track record, we could get a team of one-legged, humpbacked two-foot-tall dwarves and still lose.

Nonononono the two foot tall dwarves would be a piss poor 0-0 draw then we'll sneak to a 2 - 1 victory against an old rival through dodgy means before being knocked out and being "unlucky" in a later round. Jesus how long have you people been watching England in major tournaments.

ENGLAND News - Credit www.bbc.co.uk

Eriksson eyes World Cup triumph

England's place in the World Cup in Germany was assured on Saturday after Holland beat the Czech Republic.

"We have an extremely good team," the England boss told BBC Radio Five Live. "I am extremely confident England will have a very good World Cup.

"We are one of four or five teams who can win the World Cup. If we are lucky with injuries I think we can do it."

Eriksson has come under intense criticsm following England's 4-1 friendly defeat at the hands of Denmark in August and the World Cup qualifying loss to Northern Ireland last month.

And on Saturday England laboured to beat Austria 1-0 in their penultimate World Cup qualifying game - in a match in which captain David Beckham was sent off.

But Eriksson rejected criticism of the manner of the Austria win and maintained that England would be in better shape come the start of the finals in June 2006.

"I think we worked as a team, we defended well and had some good attacks but we know we can play better football," added Eriksson.

"I am excited because the big aim for us for two years has been to qualify for the World Cup - after the Northern Ireland game the critics began saying maybe not.

"So, of course, I am delighted. That has been the big aim for two years and now the big aim is to prepare everything for the World Cup."

Edited by Face Turn!~

Crouch is highly overated in my opinon. Just because he can knock the ball down with his head doesn't make him England Attacking Material. We already lack the potential goal scorers and having someone up front's main aim to get the ball out of the air and just play around with it, is not right at this stage.

Crouch is highly overated in my opinon. Just because he can knock the ball down with his head doesn't make him England Attacking Material. We already lack the potential goal scorers and having someone up front's main aim to get the ball out of the air and just play around with it, is not right at this stage.

Most of our chances yesterday came from Crouch setting up someone else. That makes him England attacking material.

I'm hoping for an Alan Smith start on Wednesday now that Gerrard's out.

He's been great this season in the holding role for his club, and given the opportunity, I'd feel he'd be able to do the same for his country. With a designated holding player, Lampard should have the freedom to go foward at will without having to worry about covering. Ideally I'd say Carrick would be more in line, given his experience in the role but with the limited resources at the minute Smith is, in my opinion at least, the best option England have.

Most of our chances yesterday came from Crouch setting up someone else. That makes him England attacking material.

Yes admitly he had a good game yesterday, but his last International game he sucked and in the Premiership he hasnt done nothing worth the move from portsmouth and this is comming from a Liverpool supporter.

But to counter your point, yes he set up some chances yesterday, does it make him automatic attacking material? In the eyes of some yes. But take a look back a couple of years. Heskey scored 2 goals and was plaguing the England Attack for ages, proving to be probably the worst attacker they've put up there in years.

Crouch signed from Southampton, idiot.

Yes admitly he had a good game yesterday, but his last International game he sucked and in the Premiership he hasnt done nothing worth the move from portsmouth and this is comming from a Liverpool supporter.

But to counter your point, yes he set up some chances yesterday, does it make him automatic attacking material? In the eyes of some yes. But take a look back a couple of years. Heskey scored 2 goals and was plaguing the England Attack for ages, proving to be probably the worst attacker they've put up there in years.

He's been great this season in the holding role for his club, and given the opportunity, I'd feel he'd be able to do the same for his country. With a designated holding player, Lampard should have the freedom to go foward at will without having to worry about covering. Ideally I'd say Carrick would be more in line, given his experience in the role but with the limited resources at the minute Smith is, in my opinion at least, the best option England have.

I feel the Errikson love for Smith has dwained since that red card against Macedonia. I guess he still thinks enough of him to select him ahead of Murphy though. With all the talk of holding midfielders since Gerrard's injury will we see the return of the mighty diamond? :P

I feel the Errikson love for Smith has dwained since that red card against Macedonia. I guess he still thinks enough of him to select him ahead of Murphy though. With all the talk of holding midfielders since Gerrard's injury will we see the return of the mighty diamond? :P