NBA Off-Season...

Guest StreetzHopin

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LeBron playing today? self-explanatory, they are losing....

I'm with you there. It was nice to see 'Mello be the "go to" guy in the first game. Just like how it was in 2000 when VC was the last man to be named to the team yet ended up being the team MVP. I just got home to find this team down 9 (and hearing that they were down by as many as 15.) Good stuff.

I hate USA Basketball's "me first" attitude. It's nice seeing them get their asses kicked by a team that shoots and passes well. I'm sure that's a novel concept to them, same thing with only being able to take 2 steps instead of the 4 they get away with in the NBA.

If Larry Brown were smart and wanted to win(a game that doesn't count), he'd keep in the people that actually have chemistry. I hope he's playing guys like LeBron now so that they get it out of their system and are able to accept riding the pine when the actual "money" games start.

I hate USA Basketball's "me first" attitude. It's nice seeing them get their asses kicked by a team that shoots and passes well. I'm sure that's a novel concept to them, same thing with only being able to take 2 steps instead of the 4 they get away with in the NBA.

Gotta agree with you here. Someone needs to take charge here and calm down guys like LeBron and Odom.

The crowd is on Italy's side.......and tomorrow US faces the home country....Germany. Now that's gonna be a hostile crowd.

Edited by sahyder1

95-78 BWAHAHAHA. They lost by 17 and that was with a run at the end of the game. I know it's not likely, but I'd love to see them come away from Athens without a medal. Maybe then, team players will be viewed as better options than guys who can jump over people to dunk.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

maybe these olympics can get 'Melo some more respect, i mean he has beenthe most consistant player, along with Duncan, 2 games & 2 time leading scorer for USA, 'Melo....

maybe these olympics can get 'Melo some more respect, i mean he has beenthe most consistant player, along with Duncan, 2 games & 2 time leading scorer for USA, 'Melo....

Isn't he also getting the majority of the playing time?....that usually leads to more points.

Pistons trade Corliss Williamson...

Corliss Williamson Headed to Philadelphia

Pistons Acquire Forward/Center Derrick Coleman and Center Amal Mccaskill from Philadelphia 76ers

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - August 4, 2004 - Detroit Pistons President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars announced today that the Detroit Pistons have acquired forward/center Derrick Coleman and center Amal McCaskill from the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for forward Corliss Williamson.

“We feel like this is a good trade for our team and our organization as we move forward,” said Dumars. “Corliss Williamson was a very special guy to have on the team for three and a half seasons. We thank him for all of his efforts here on and off the court and we will miss him.”

Coleman, 37, appeared in 34 games with the 76ers last season, averaging 8.0 points and 5.6 rebounds in 24.8 minutes per game. He missed 48 games overall due to injury. Prior to last season, the Detroit native averaged double figures in 11 of his 13 NBA seasons, including a career-high 20.7 points per game during the 1992-93 season with New Jersey. In 776 NBA games, Coleman has averaged 16.6 points and 9.3 rebounds in 33.3 minutes per game and recorded 343 career double-doubles. He was selected to the All-NBA Third Team in 1993 and 1994, started at center for the Eastern Conference at the 1994 NBA All-Star Game and was named NBA Rookie of the Year in 1991.

McCaskill, 30, appeared in 59 games (three starts) last season, averaging 1.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 8.5 minutes per game. He scored a career-high nine points and added six rebounds at New Jersey (2/8). In four NBA seasons, McCaskill has played 114 games with four teams - Orlando (1996-97), San Antonio (2001-02), Atlanta (2002-03) and Philadelphia (2003-04) - averaging 1.8 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. He made his first playoff appearance with San Antonio during the Spurs’ 2002 playoff run.

Williamson, 30, appeared in 79 games (no starts) last season, averaging 9.5 points and 3.2 rebounds in 19.9 minutes per game. The nine-year-pro averaged 5.7 points and 2.2 rebounds in 14.9 minutes during the Pistons’ playoff run. Williamson has played in 645 games during his NBA career, averaging 11.9 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 24.1 minutes. A career .492 marksman from the field, he has made at least 50% of his field goal attempts in four of the last five seasons. Williamson was named NBA Sixth Man of the Year with the Pistons in 2002.

I'm not sure what to think of this trade, I'm kind of indifferent to it. It really depends on if Coleman can stay healthy, if he does stay healthy, he should be a nice player off of the bench for us. Adios Corliss, thanks for all the contributions you made throughout the past seasons.

Edit - Here is a little more information, credit to espn.com.

Associated Press

DETROIT -- The Detroit Pistons acquired Derrick Coleman and Amal McCaskill from the Philadelphia 76ers in a trade Wednesday for Corliss Williamson.

Essentially, Philadelphia got rid of a player it didn't want, and NBA champion Detroit picked up considerable salary-cap space for the future.

"We feel like this is a good trade for our team and our organization as we move forward," said Joe Dumars, Pistons president of basketball operations. "Corliss Williamson was a very special guy to have on the team for 3½ seasons. We thank him for all of his efforts here on and off the court and we will miss him."

The 76ers made it clear they wanted to deal Coleman, who has two years and $9.5 million on his contract. If the Pistons want to release him after one season, they will owe him $2 million.

By moving Williamson, with $18 million and three guaranteed years left on his deal, the Pistons will have more money to make moves in a year or two. McCaskill was a free agent, who signed a new contract before being traded.

Even though Coleman was vilified by Sixers fans and former team president Pat Croce, he became a favorite of Larry Brown, who now coaches the Pistons.

The 37-year-old Coleman played in just 34 games last season while he struggled to stay healthy. The 6-foot-10 center averaged 8.0 points and 5.6 rebounds.

In 14 years, the Detroit native has averaged 16.8 points and 9.3 rebounds, but has scored in double figures in just one of the past four seasons. Coleman is expected to provide depth behind Ben and Rasheed Wallace. McCaskill might have to compete to even be on Detroit's roster when the season starts in November.

Williamson, entering his 10th season, was a solid reserve for the Pistons. The 6-7, 245-pounder averaged 9.5 points and 3.2 rebounds while playing both forward positions. He was the NBA Sixth Man of the Year two seasons ago.

Williamson could play a significant role in Philadelphia, where his knack for scoring will help Allen Iverson when he is double-teamed.

Sixers GM Billy King praised Williamson's physical toughness and interior scoring ability.

"He's somebody you can put down on the block and he can score," King said. "That's something we really have not had in a while."

Last season, Williamson shot better than 50 percent and appeared in 79 games -- 31 more than Coleman.

The trade continues the Sixers' reorganization of their roster under new coach Jim O'Brien, hired in April after a disappointing 33-49 season following Brown's departure for Detroit. Brown was replaced by Randy Ayers, fired 52 games into the season and replaced on an interim basis by Chris Ford.

The Sixers traded point guard Eric Snow to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Kevin Ollie and Kendrick Brown, drafted athletic Andre Iguodala and will make promising second-year guard Willie Green a starter in an effort to build a more up-tempo roster.

With Williamson gone, rookie Carlos Delfino and free agent Ronald Dupree will have more of an opportunity to play at small forward behind Tayshaun Prince.

If McCaskill makes the Pistons, he will be on his fifth team in five years. In 59 games last season, the 6-11 center averaged just 1.9 points and 2.3 rebounds.

Edited by VerbalPuke