NBA Off-Season...

Guest StreetzHopin

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

ESPN.com news services

Erick Dampier's odyssey will apparently wind up not in the Big Apple but in Big D.

Dampier

The Dallas Mavericks have agreed in principle to a trade that would send forwards Eduardo Najera and Christian Laettner, two future first-round picks and cash to the Golden State Warriors, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher on Tuesday.

In exchange, the Mavs would acquire Dampier, center Evan Eschmeyer and guard Dan Dickau from Golden State.

The deal, however, cannot be consummated until later this summer because NBA rules stipulate that no player may be dealt twice within a two-month period. Both Laettner and Dickau were traded earlier this summer.

Dampier, 30, apparently will forgo a six-year, $50 million offer from the Atlanta Hawks.

Dampier, drafted 10th overall by Indiana in 1996, hoped to join the New York Knicks as part of a sign-and-trade deal, but the Warriors refused to take on salary to accommodate their former starting center's wishes.

He was also wooed by Jermaine O'Neal, who would have liked to have had the 6-foot-11, 270-pound Dampier do the dirty work inside for the Pacers, who were overwhelmed by Detroit's frontcourt in their Eastern Conference finals loss in this year's NBA playoffs.

Dampier averaged 12.3 points and 12.0 rebounds last season, finishing third in the league in field-goal percentage (53.5 percent).

Information from SportsTicker was used in this report.

Edited by sahyder1

Dallas continues to amaze me with the bonehead moves they are making.. I guess we were due after such success early on with Cuban.

You simply do not trade away draft picks for the next 2 years. for Dampier and a guy you traded to G.S. in the first place. I could see the 1st for next season, but I keep feeling like we're going to need that pick down the road and it'll be gone.

The further plunge into cap hell for the Knicks continues. I thought the bludgeoning had come to an end with the Crawford trade. Now it seems that Erick Dampier, a target for months now, is off to Dallas for scrubs and more 1st rounders (Cuban is going to have no draft for a while). How does Isiah Thomas and the rest of the magnificent Knicks front office deal with this dilemma. HEY lets re-sign Vin Baker! Not only is he playing out of position on this team at center, he fucking stinks at it. What the Knicks need is a true big man. And while Dampier wavered around on the market while management made sad offers like Othella Harrington and Shandon Anderson for Dampier, Dallas jumped in and threw in what Golden State was really looking for in a sign and trade. DRAFT PICKS! It's not like the Knicks ever put draft picks to good use anyway. Fredric Weis, Frank Williams, John Thomas, the three headed Wallace-McCarty-Jones monster, Monty Williams, Hubert Davis...and those are just first rounders, which they don't have every year because of retarded trades. The only ones since 1992 that I can't knock are Charlie Ward cuz he contributed forever and Mike Sweetney cuz I haven't seen him play regularly yet. I hope Trevor Ariza, a second round pick can buck that trend. He's played well in summer league. But so did Jason Kapono. In closing, Scott Layden if you quit, I would attempt a backflip in glee.

I think the Mavs are really gearing towards the future alot now. With Dirk (who is still relatively young), Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels, Pavel Polkinzine, and Devin Harris, the Mavs have some solid youth that will probably come off the bench. I think the Mavs starting lineup will be this:

Center: Erick Dampier (assuming the trade goes through)

Power Forward: Dirk Nowitzki

Small Forward: Jerry Stackhouse (assuming he doesn't get traded)

Shooting Guard: Michael Finley

Point Guard: Jason Terry

I think the Mavs will miss Najera. Najera brought a scense of purpose and energy when he was on the court. Him and Josh Howard were probably the best defenders the Mavs had.

1,000th Post!!!

Guest BacknBlackHoez

Steven Hunter Turns Down Hawks

Arizona Republic (registration required): "Atlanta offered Steven Hunter the same $720,000 contract as the Suns. Atlanta would have given him the same player option for a second year and more playing time than Phoenix."

Ziggy's Options May Be Limited

Cleveland Plain Dealer columnist Roger Brown (Scroll Down) (registration required): "There's been much hand-wringing that the Cavs might lose center Zydrunas Ilgauskas as a free agent after this season. But the reality is only five or six NBA teams may have enough salary room to pursue Ilgauskas next summer. Some of them, such as Atlanta and Golden State, haven't been attractive spots for top free agents."

Guest bukkake bandit

Late, but the Mavs/Warriors deal is gone. 73 million over 7 years for Dampier is ridiculous. I give credit to Mark Cuban for not being a cheap asshole though.

Guest Bluesman

Associated Press

Will the Hornets be Baron's team, or a barren one without him?

With New Orleans switching from the Eastern to the Western Conference for the upcoming season, Baron Davis and his agent are seeking a trade, USA Today reported Friday on its Web site.

The Hornets will be in the realigned Southwest Division of the Western Conference with San Antonio, Houston, Dallas and Memphis, teams that all made the playoffs last season. The Hornets were a playoff team in the Eastern Conference, but were eliminated in the first round.

"After talking with Baron and evaluating what the Hornets organization has been doing this offseason, I'm concerned with Baron's current status and his future with the team," Davis' agent, Todd Ramasar, told the paper. "Baron was really disappointed with them losing the first round of the playoffs. I want to put him in the position where he can contend for a title or at least be in a position where he can reach the NBA Finals."

Ramasar said the New York Knicks, Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat are potential teams where Davis can thrive, USA Today reported.

Hornets general manager Allan Bristow says dealing Davis, who signed a six-year, $85 million contract last year, isn't an option.

"We've got to straighten out some things," Bristow told USA Today. "He's our franchise player. There's no possibility we'll trade him. We have no intention of even inquiring about trading Baron."

Yeah Knicks has a bulk of guards already, Houston, Marbury, Crawford,....er.....Hardaway(Is he playing for SG or SF this coming season?) and...that other guy.

I dont know, but if Baron was unhappy, cant he say it himself? I do agree New Orleans blew it big time in the free agent market since they didnt land a good offensive player. I just dunno what team Baron Davis can be in right now, I think he should stay put in New Orleans and wait for them to sign someone he can go with...if there still is hope in the FA market.

If Baron Davis goes anywhere it will probably be a West Coast team seeing how he's a UCLA product. If New Orleans even trades him at all expect him to go to the Lakers. They would believe that it would at least take some of the scoring pressure off Kobe Bryant. The Lakers on the other hand would have nothing of immediate value to trade to New Orleans unless they would be willing to part with their first round pick from this year, Sasha Vujacic, which they more than likely won't. The dumbest scenario I've heard has Baron Davis going to Utah for Matt Harpring and a draft pick. Did Utah brass see Carlos Arroyo play in the Olympics? I don't know. And Baron going to the Knicks, unless he grows a foot in a month out of nowhere he is of no use to them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BacknBlackHoez

I had to share this with you all, hilarious shit.

Toronto Star (registration required) "A private-school teacher and part-time model is suing Raptors forward Morris Peterson for $1.5 million for allegedly infecting her with genital herpes."

Mo Peterson? I used to idolize him at MSU......

Good thing that's as far as it went....

:lol:

I'm curious Thuganomic, are you from Michigan? I've noticed from your posts in the sports bar that you're a big MSU fan.

Too stay on topic, I'll comment on Baron Davis. He'd be a huge pick up for any team that could land him. He put up some good numbers last year, and could potentially give a team that last added piece to make a championship run.

Houston Rockets Acquire Dikembe Mutombo

The Houston Rockets have acquired center Dikembe Mutombo from the Chicago Bulls in exchange for guards Adrian Griffin, Eric Piatkowski and Mike Wilks, General Manager Carroll Dawson announced today. Mutombo stands as the only four-time recipient of the NBA Defensive Player of the Year award.

“With the addition of Dikembe, we have bolstered our interior defense and rebounding,” Dawson said. “Dikembe has had a long distinguished career, but can still contribute on a nightly basis. We feel fortunate to be adding him to our team.”

Mutombo has averaged 11.7 points, 11.7 rebounds and 3.22 blocked shots in 929 career games with Denver, Atlanta, Philadelphia, New Jersey and New York. In NBA history, the 7-2, 265-pound center ranks fourth all-time with 2,996 blocked shots, trailing only Hakeem Olajuwon, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Mark Eaton. His career average of 3.22 blocks ranks third in NBA history behind Eaton and Manute Bol. He also ranks 24th all-time with 10,907 rebounds. Among active players, Mutombo trails only Tim Duncan and Shaquille O’Neal in career rebounding average and just Karl Malone and Kevin Willis in career rebounds.

In 13 NBA seasons, Mutombo has finished among the league’s top five in rebounding average nine times and blocked shots per game 11 times. He became the first player in NBA history to claim three-straight blocked shots crowns, leading the league in rejections for three consecutive seasons beginning with the 1993-94 campaign. Mutombo also stands as one of seven players in league history to win consecutive rebounding titles, accomplishing this during the 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 seasons.

The NBA has recognized Mutombo for his accomplishments on numerous occasions. The eight-time All-Star received selection to the All-NBA Second Team in 2001 and the All-NBA Third Team in 1998 and 2002. Aside from winning the NBA Defensive Player of the Year award in 1995, 1997, 1998 and 2001, he earned selection to the NBA All-Defensive First Team in 1997, 1998 and 2001 and the NBA All-Defensive Second Team in 1995, 1999 and 2002. He began his career with an appearance on the 1992 NBA All-Rookie First Team. Mutombo also received the NBA’s J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship award in 2001.

Mutombo started his career with five seasons in Denver, where he averaged a career-high 16.6 points as a rookie with the 1991-92 Nuggets. After averaging a career-high 4.49 blocks for his third-straight blocked shots title, Mutombo signed with Atlanta prior to the 1996-97 season. He played four-and-a-half seasons with the Hawks, averaging a career-high 14.1 rebounds during the 1999-2000 season. During the 2000-2001 season, Philadelphia traded for Mutombo, who immediately helped the 76ers advance to the 2001 NBA Finals. Mutombo averaged a double-double in each of his first 11 NBA seasons with Denver, Atlanta and Philadelphia. Over the last two years, Mutombo has played a season each with the Nets and the Knicks.

The Rockets roster now stands at 13 players: Reece Gaines, Juwan Howard, Jim Jackson, Tyronn Lue, Tracy McGrady, Mutombo, Bostjan Nachbar, Scott Padgett, Bob Sura, Maurice Taylor, Charlie Ward, Clarence Weatherspoon and Yao Ming.