World of Warcraft

Your Mom

I keep starting characters and then getting the shits. Does anyone actually RP in WoW? Or should I just give up on that and find a new server and stick with it? Been ages since I played, but I fear I'll get bored quickly.

For anyone just starting WoW, I have four pieces of advice:

1. Roll two characters: one Alliance, one Horde. Give them both equal amounts of playing time, then decide which side you like playing on better.

2. Start on a regular PvE server, then after you grasp the basics roll a character on an RP or PvP server. You can't really get a feel for the game on a RP server, and starting out on a PvP server is just plain stupid.

3. Unless you can find a Magician willing to make a portal for you or a Warlock willing to summon you, don't pick Night Elf for your starting race. You won't be able to get to the other races' cities for a while without help, and if you don't get a portal or a summon, its a hell of a long run.

4. If you play a Hunter, don't pick a bear as your first pet. Bears will eat just about anything, which is good, but the trade off is that they're slow movers and use up their focus fairly quick. I recommend a cat or wolf.

For anyone just starting WoW, I have four pieces of advice:

1. Roll two characters: one Alliance, one Horde. Give them both equal amounts of playing time, then decide which side you like playing on better.

2. Start on a regular PvE server, then after you grasp the basics roll a character on an RP or PvP server. You can't really get a feel for the game on a RP server, and starting out on a PvP server is just plain stupid.

3. Unless you can find a Magician willing to make a portal for you or a Warlock willing to summon you, don't pick Night Elf for your starting race. You won't be able to get to the other races' cities for a while without help, and if you don't get a portal or a summon, its a hell of a long run.

4. If you play a Hunter, don't pick a bear as your first pet. Bears will eat just about anything, which is good, but the trade off is that they're slow movers and use up their focus fairly quick. I recommend a cat or wolf.

Are any of you having lag problems? The past two days I've had terrible, terrible lag. Usually, my latency is below 200ms and the bar's in the green when I'm on - but the past two days the lowest I've seen it go is 300ms, and it usually evens out around 700ms. I was just playing and my latency bar was in the red the entire time save for about 5 minutes when it was yellow - and I was pulling 1000ms+ and 2300ms+ at the worst point.

Like I said, it's only been happening the last two days too. In the past few weeks it's been fine.

For the record, I started on a PvP server and was fine, I fail to see why it's such a big deal. If you ask me, any time spent on a PvE server is a waste because you'll end up wanting to go to PVP eventually anyway.

As for pets, for beginning hunters i'd go Boar, until you can get something with a proper attack speed.

In other news, I have made one character for each alliance class on The Venture Company PVPRP server if any ally players would like to join me. I plan to level them all very slowly when I get bored, I probably won't make it to 20.

Expansion launches tonight at midnight. Bestbuy and Futureshop's in Ottawa are opening at midnight so all the WoW folks can get their fix asap. I'll see the reviews for the expansion before I decided to come back or not. If you get it tomorrow post your thoughts in here please.

I wish I could understand Orcish. I was running around in Ashenvale near The Barrens/Ashenvale border yesterday evening and I came upon 3 or 4 Orc NPCs and 2 players - undead rogue & orc warrior - massacring guards at an Silverwing Sentinel Outpost. It was fun, the sentinels killed the Orc and I went into cat form and Prowled, following the undead guy around a bit then got bored and killed him. He was only level 23 or so and right before he died he said "maka" in Orcish.

I also stalked a Tauren Warrior running through Ashenvale, he didn't even see me. Ah, fun times. I love Prowl so much.

I had one of those "ohshit" moments in neutral territory using Prowl though, I was following an Undead Mage around and I thought I was being so sneaky, then it's like..

Valint waves at you.

You wave at Valint.

Yeah he could see me the whole time. >_>

I'm waiting awhile to get my copy. As for servers, Smolderthorn was supposed to be the place but it didn't work out. My advice is to not worry about it, because trying to get EWBers together fails everytime, but you could certainly come play with me at least on The Venture Company if Alliance is your thing or Smolderthorn if you're a Horde guy.

is it possible to transfer characters between accounts? Have I already asked this? ¬¬

Edited by Keeper of The Seven Keys