New Spider-Man costume in the comics

TMM

header.gif

Word has been building for months now, and comic fans have been dying to know- what is Spider-Man’s new costume?! Well, folks, here it is! Recognize the color scheme? You should, it’s playing an important role in the future of the web-slinger!

After the shocking events in "The Other" storyline, Peter recieves this new costume to help him adjust to his newest developments, as well as giving him some added muscle! Designed by Marvel Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada, this new design has a few tricks up its sleeve. "The Iron Spider design- as I like to call it- came to me during a Spider-Man story meeting we were having, we were talking and I was involuntarily sketching on a pad. It's inspired by a sketch that Chris Bachalo did that showed a new Spidey costume with <CLASSIFIED>. I thought that was brilliant, especially since it echoed one of Spidey's greatest villains, and I took the idea and imagined it as though seeing it through the eyes of Tony Stark. The sky's the limit with respect to gadgetry when it comes to Tony inspired costumes."

Every "gift" has its cost, and this new look for Spidey will signal the beginnings of change, especially as it comes on the eve of the upcoming Civil War. Spider-Man has developed a growing trust and friendship with Iron Man, but how much in debt is Peter’s loyalty to Tony Stark going to cost him in the long run? If the color scheme is any indication, well... Joe Quesada says, "I imagined Tony presenting Peter with the new suit and Peter putting it on and saying that it looks great but that his colors are red and blue. Tony would simply respond, ‘My design, my colors!’"

What is it that Joe is talking about that’s classified? How will Spidey’s relationship to Tony - and the new costume- play into Civil War?! You’ll have to read the books to see! But, it is safe to see that when it comes to this new costume, there is much more to the story! Look for the new costume to debut in February’s Amazing Spider-Man #529. It will then be seen in the pages of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man and Marvel Knights Spider-Man in April. For more news on Spider-Man, the costume, and Civil War, stay tuned, True Believers!

lrg_ironspidey_001.jpg

Well, I kinda like it, but I also kinda hate it. The "Iron-Spidey" thing seems interesting, but I do think that the colours should stay red and blue, but I'll give it a try because I'm all for change and am interested to see how long it lasts before all the comic fans who hate change demand it be changed back.

It makes sense, I guess, but it looks fucking awful. It's too bright, it hurts the eyes. Superheroes wearing bright red and blue is stupid enough, but at least we're accustomed to that, bright red and yellow is just retina-searing.

It makes sense, I guess, but it looks fucking awful. It's too bright, it hurts the eyes. Superheroes wearing bright red and blue is stupid enough, but at least we're accustomed to that, bright red and yellow is just retina-searing.

I just don't like the idea that Spider-Man is basically looking like Iron-Man, that's my main gripe. If they keep this for a little while then make it blue and red, I'll be happy.

Yeah, making Spiderman look like Iron Man is shit. Especially from a marketing standpoint, as Spiderman is far more recognisable and better known than Iron Man, so why change him to look more like a lesser-known character?

They really need the red and blue, also Scarlet Spider Costume > *

I loved both of his costumes. The original "I'm poor so I'll wear ripped crappy clothes but still have a great big spider on it" one as well as his awesome one when he took over Peter's job.

In regards to the making him look like Iron-Man, he's a member of the New Avengers with Iron-Man, and after the Others storyline I think Tony Stark is going to be helping him get through it all, but the it still is a bit suspect and dodgy.

I'll say what I said at another board where I already saw the pic of it last night:

I really dig the way the spider design is done and kind of like the eyes, but I hate the wrists and ankles. It would look better if it was red and blue or even red or black and silver. Red and gold only works on Iron Man. No exceptions. (And my favorite Iron Man armor was the Silver Centurion suit, anyway. :P )Even if it wasn't metallic, it would suck with that color scheme.

Yeah, making Spiderman look like Iron Man is shit. Especially from a marketing standpoint, as Spiderman is far more recognisable and better known than Iron Man, so why change him to look more like a lesser-known character?

Because it's still Spiderman?

What's got to do with anything? The fact is, he looks less like the instantly recognisable, and therefore infinitely more marketable, Spiderman that the world is used to. It's dangerous to change things like that.

What's got to do with anything? The fact is, he looks less like the instantly recognisable, and therefore infinitely more marketable, Spiderman that the world is used to. It's dangerous to change things like that.

As I read in the above, it makes sense in the storyline. I am sure the spider on his chest, and the way that he will be portrayed in the book will make him reconizable surely. I am also pretty sure that this is something that isn't exactly going to be forever. He's lost other suits before.

If it's temporary and part of a storyline, that's fine. But I really hope they make his wrists and ankles look better. Unless part of the story involves Spinder-Man having an eating disorder, it just looks stupid.

Well, he did die...maybe dying and being reborn in a cacoon makes you thinner?

As I read in the above, it makes sense in the storyline. I am sure the spider on his chest, and the way that he will be portrayed in the book will make him reconizable surely. I am also pretty sure that this is something that isn't exactly going to be forever. He's lost other suits before.

I know it's still notably Spiderman and, while admittedly I'm not up to date on current Spiderman storylines (we're considerably behind over here), I'm not too keen on any storyline which necessitates a change such as that. The fact is, if a casual-at-best comic book fan caught a glimpse of a comic featuring the new outfit, they're not as likely to look at it and consider buying it as they would be if they saw the recognisable Spidey outfit. It's the same argument that people used with the new X-Men costumes, with the only winning argument on that side being that said costumes had featured in the movie, and as such were probably better known than the "classics" by that point.

Basically, it boils down to one vague marketing point, and the fact that I'm a comic book purist with a fear of change.

Bit of an explaination for what's caused the change so far if anyone's interested. Spoilers ahoy.

Basically the "main reason" for the change is, well, Peter Parker died recently after getting the living shit beaten out of him by Morlun (who according to the book I'm looking at: "has hunted and destroyed 'spider-men' for centuries") and tore his eye out. Oh, it also didn't help that he was dying anyway from some vague illness that is never fully explained, but is terminal and causes his powers to essentially switch on and off at times. Basically, Spidey dies saving MJ from Morlun, who's again trying to kill Spider-Man once and for all, and MJ, Aunt May and the Avengers all mourn his death.

Later, they check Parkers body and all that's left is a "husk", and the insides is all gone. Nobody knows what's going on, but somehow he's now in a cacoon essentially being reborn. After he's done with the whole rebirth stuff, he appears at the Avengers/Stark tower and nobody seems massivly shocked (save May and MJ) and they have to tell him that, what with him being dead and all, they threw away all his costumes, and then Tony Stark tells him he has some ideas for a new costume. That's basically the reasoning for him getting a new costume. To be fair, there's two more issues left of the mini-series so a better explaination should (I hope) come up then.

Edited by The Monkey Molester 27

In response

You mean they threw out all the costumes MJ used to simply sew together for him? And somehow they couldn't have her do that again? See, this is why the Ultimate Universe is better

It's a crap design that I hope to god is not real, as many seem to think on other boards I visit, otherwise Marvel and Quesada have lost their flipping minds. Also, having read your description of The Other storyline, I have to say that THIS is why I only read Ultimate Spidey anymore. Of course JMS on FF is why I only read Ultimate FF, New Avengers is why I only read The Ultimates, and House Of MSuck is why I only read Ultimate X-Men. Marvel may do some good things in the 616 Universe such as Runaways, the Gravity Mini, Young Avengers, She-Hulk, Thing, and GLX, but the majority of the shit they do with the main books is stupid beyond all comprehension.

And don't even get me started on this NEW "super duper everything is affected and nothing will EVER be the same again" crossover Civil War coming out later this year.

TGC