Silent Hill

Pepsi

But "THE JANITOR!"? What a shit name.

I figured that meant he was saying it in disgust.

He probably was, because it seems like a shit name.

:huh:

So I can't respond to his opinion without being told to fuck off? When did that start?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing this and the first thing that needs to be said is that this definately isn't a film for everyone. Which, in a way, is one of it's best qualities.

I have to say, I loved it. However, I say that as a huge fan of the games and someone who understands the story and symoblism involved with Silent Hill.

People who have never played the games may have a hard time enjoying the film as I can appreciate it might seem confusing at times. Anyone looking for a traditional hollywood horror film should avoid SH because it certainly isn't that.

Thankfully, the film stays true to the game series and explores the nature of isolation and the fear of what you can't see, rather than being a standard shock and gore fest. Although there is plenty of gore, trust me. There is one particular scene with Pyramid Head. I don't want to spoil it, but let's just say he shows his true awesomeness :)

Admittedly, some of the story was a little weak in parts. I think mainly due to the fact that there are so many aspects of the complete SH story that the directors had to mix and match between the games for it to make sense as a stand alone film. Anyone who has seen Jacob's Ladder will know that you don't have to understand everything in a film for it to be enjoyable.

I repeat, fans of the games will both love and understand this film. Those who are new to the series, but go in open-minded, may be pleasantly surprised but don't expect to understand every little detail.

Guest shibbycath

Just a little fun from when they shot here in Brantford, Downtown Brantford is so shitty that people from movie sites took pictures of downtown Brantford taking it as sets for the movie when it was in fact untouched parts of the downtown.

Now that's good crappy downtown for you (Y)

Just a little fun from when they shot here in Brantford, Downtown Brantford is so shitty that people from movie sites took pictures of downtown Brantford taking it as sets for the movie when it was in fact untouched parts of the downtown.

Now that's good crappy downtown for you (Y)

haha isn't it sad how the downtown looked better when they had all the props to make it look even more run down?? i totally still have that water basin i stole from the set one night after watching them film. AND you can soooo see my music venue in the one shot, it's in the fucking trailer wooooot!!!!!!!! free publicityyyyy!!!!

Yes because that's what everyones thinking about when they watch the movie. "Hey look at that bar in the background, we should totally go there!"

Guest BlockbusterMike

I saw it last night, and what can I say.

As a gaming geek, this movie was freaking awesome!

As a regular movie guy, it was still great.

I'm not a big horror fan, but I loved this movie. MUST SEE.

Just got back from watching it, wow. It was soo much better than I expected it to be. I've only played Silent Hill 1 and 3, and it didn't follow those storylines at all, but I think the way they portray the story in the movie is very good. I was creeped out a little, but it didn't scare me. I enjoyed it very much, such a good movie!

SPOILERS

Great movie, loved the part when the thing you were scared of the entire movie turns out to be something your cheering for at the end. Awesome stuff. I had to explain the ending to a bunch of people who thought they were dead, you can always tell who hasn't played the games by the comments you hear walking out of the theater.

Guest BlockbusterMike

Yeah, I had to spend 20 minutes in the parking lot of the theater explaining that ending to a bunch of people who didn't get it.

Most people didn't listen though, as I heard many walking out saying that the ending "f*cking sucked." I wanted to slap them.

Also it kinda mirrors the first game a little, but not by much.

I absolutely adored this film. The best game to movie adaptation I've ever seen, and one of the better Western horror movies I've seen in a long time. I would have preferred a bit more Pyramidhead, as he didn't seem to have much purpose, but it was nice to see him. The religious storyline was good, but was a little tedious at the ending, when every other word seemed to be "Witch" and "Burn". It was weak in a few parts, but for the most part was incredible.

I'm still amazed that it's only a 15, though.

I'm still avoiding spoilers, but I'm glad to see you liked it Pepsi, as all weekend I've had to hear people say how much it sucked. I was getting worried, but generally we have the same taste in movies, so that's good. It seems to be that the young internet-savvy crowd enjoyed the film, which eases my apprehensions.

I loved it and found it to be a good mix of newschool cerebral horror and an old school pulpy Mario Bava-style exploitation gorefest.

The biggest complaint I've heard is that the movie is hard to follow/understand, but that truly annoys me. There's actually a sequence laying things out for everyone, and I don't think any previous knowledge of the games is necessary, tho there are a number of visual nods to the original PS game.

I don't feel the need to touch on the things that made that movie great because pretty much everyone has said it.

The only major flaw the movie had, for me, was the dialogue. Other than that crap the movie was an enjoyable experience and everything I'd hoped it would be.