Bitch About "Flavor Of The Month" Bands

tristy

You know what I'm talking about. UKers especially. The Arctic Monkeys and some other shit bands that didn't get too popular over here. America has crap like PANIC! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy, etc.

I really hope this shit is just flavor of the month that will disappear in a few months/a year. But I remember I thought that about Coldplay when they first came out, so I could be wrong.

I can't really describe my hate for PANIC! At The Disco. They seem like a worse version of Fall Out Boy. I just don't know, to be honest. The band just rubs me the wrong way. And I kinda hate Fall Out Boy for the fact that they're introducing kids to "Love Will Tear Us Apart", and the kids thinking it's a Fall Out Boy original. I guess I can't blame FOB or the kids for that, right? Or the fact that FOB fans don't know what the hell "16 Candles" is. Or what movie the song-title "No One Puts Baby In The Corner" came from.

Gah.

*turns off the radio*

Edited by The Man They Call Tristy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bluesman

How about Natasha Bedingford? That bitch can't sing. I was shocked when I watched her video for the first time with the sound on. The live version she does is absolutely awful. Whoever thought it a good idea to put that on the air has to be tone deaf. Then again MTV/VH-1 only show videos at 3 a.m., so...

Another one is Jet, at least I think that's the name of the band. They have that song 'cold hard bitch', which is just one of their songs that is a direct rip-off of other songs. I understand full well bands are going to be influenced, but I swear every song of theirs I hear is a straight rip off of a song from other bands.

Fall Out Boy makes me want to become insanely violent and injure/kill someone, preferably the band and any of their fans.

Gretchen Wilson. Every song is pretty much the same (both musically and lyrically) and she can't sing. Plus she looks/sounds like this skanky looking douchebag who used to live next door to my mom. Ugh.

Everyone off American Idol, ever. Why the fuck does it matter who wins, when the final 2-3 (or more) end up getting record deals, videos on MTV, etc.? I'd like to go on the show just to rip on Simon. Granted none of it would ever make it on air, but fuck him and fucking shitty show.

Lastly I have to give props to Nickelback. Bands like Staind, they find their niche of shittiness, and rape it for all it's worth. Seriously, how many fucking songs has that whiny dick Lewis wrote that's based off Outside? See, Nickelback though keep reinventing their shittiness. Every song you hear from them is worse than the one before, all of them with a unique sound all their shitty own. I'm sorry, but that takes fucking talent and people need to give Nickelback their due.

Looking back at my list, it would appear pretty much every listing here has been around for quite awhile. Fuck it, I don't get out much when it comes to music.

I still haven't heard the Arctic Monkeys, but I have a friend who adores them. She sent me a song via email, still haven't downloaded it. Thanks for reminding me to, though.

But yeah, P!ATD. Ridiculously horrible. Okay, honestly? I don't mind FOB. I really don't. But you know what FOB is? Exactly what P!ATD is. Catchy shit, but it doesn't magically make it less shit because it's catchy. Christina Aguilera is catchy. Britney Spears is catchy. Y'knowwhadImean? Doesn't make it any less utter tripe at all.

But yeah, probably P!ATD the most right now. A lot of the fans are hardly tolerable. I know Summers is a fan, but he's a lot more tolerable than most of them. I've heard P!ATD fans criticise bands like Marilyn Manson and NIN for "trying to be satanic" or "trying too hard to look cool" and shit, just shut the fuck up, it's not like you have any better taste in music.

I'#d have to agree with pretty much everyone mentioned here but it's not necessarily the bands I hate. It's the press and their fans predominently. I can't stand people talking about the sun shining out of FOB's arses all the time, they're pleasent enough but they're not the best band on the planet and hearing their fans talk them up just irritates the hell out of me.

These fans are often clueless too, I was recently talking to a girl about music who was getting very worked up over MCR and more specifically Gerrard Way and how hard done by he's been. I pointed out there are plenty with people in them with a tough background and cited Corey Taylor and an example, her response, "he makes it all up to try and get sympathy from emos"...

I like the Arctic Monkeys - and they haven't really been a big hit with people where I live. I know they got a number one, but nobody cares about them anymore.

Um, I guess I could say Green Day - although there not really flavour of the month, more, the year. It's just how anyone and their uncle think that if they like Green Day they are the know it all of punk.

Aiden are pathetic, I thought they were going to be some heavy rock band, they're just emo :-\. Meh, I know there are more but it's morning.

I like The Arctic Monkeys. I like Fall Out Boy. I like Natasha Bedingfield (I presume that may have been who Bluesman was going on about).

Arctic Monkeys are nowhere near as good as they're hyped. But they write good songs. Fall Out Boy are harmless. Just like Blink 182 did, they write music for the masses. Fun stuff. They're not claiming to be anything great. And some of the songs are god damn catchy. And Natasha Bedingfield......I have no idea why I like her...some of her songs are good?

How about Natasha Bedingford? That bitch can't sing. I was shocked when I watched her video for the first time with the sound on. The live version she does is absolutely awful. Whoever thought it a good idea to put that on the air has to be tone deaf. Then again MTV/VH-1 only show videos at 3 a.m., so...

You mean Natasha Bedingfield, and she isn't that bad.

I hated Busted when they were around, if you can even call them a band. I can't really think of anyone else at the moment.

I am nowhere near clued up about music as most of you on here, but how much would you rate/not rate Interpol? A lass I have been seeing is totally obsessed by them utterly and completely when I find them alright at best. Is it just me or should she be commited?

Okay. I have a lot of rage, as a lot of my friends are indie-fashionistas. Nice people as long as you don't talk about clothes/modern music with them, you know. Anyway, on that note...

- Arctic Monkeys. Yes, you're from Sheffield. You said that already, on every single song. Move along.

- Dirty Pretty Things/Babyshambles. The thing missing from the former is a songwriter like cocaine Doherty, the thing missing from the latter is somebody who can play guitar and lead a band like boring Barat. The outcome? Two thoroughly average bands.

- The Zutons. If I want to hear a saxophone, I'll go to a jazz club thankyou very much. Do you have anything else to recommend you? You don't? Well fuck off then.

- KT Tunstall. She has the face of somebody who used to be a lot fatter than she is now. Plus she can't play guitar for shit.

- Panic! At the Disco. I think everybody's covered this pretty well.

- Orson. You're fucking wank, you are. Shut up.

- The Feeling. Hatred. Just utterly awful music, no talent whatsoever.

- Art Brut. If you can't sing or play instruments, the least you could do would be to shut up. Don't use it as your band's gimmick. You're the reason that my friend's band, who have been professional for several years, can't get an album deal, you scenester fucks.

- The Others. Their singer preaches about working class solidarity, but left a £30,000 a year advertising job to form the band. This is for the poor indeed.

- Maroon 5. Fisher Price, my first rock'n'roll band.

- Fall Out Boy. Oh, just piss off, will you? And don't cover Joy Division songs, you pricks.

- Hard-Fi. Yes, we all know that it's hard being working class. I'm working class too, I don't write wanky songs about it. I write good songs about it, and I don't have a fucking record deal, so who's the real victim here?

- Ryan Adams. Do fuck off now. Seriously, you're ginger and nobody likes you. GO AWAY. Good boy. No, don't come back. Don't release another album. No, just go. There. Die.

I may add more if I think of them. <_<

Arctic Monkeys make me happy. It's good harmless fun. And it's catchier than bird flu.

I like this description.

For the most part "Flavor of the Month" bands don't really affect me since I only listen to CDs or NPR when I'm in my car. And at home there is no radio at all. I hear some P!ATD and the like when I'm at school, but for the most part people on the newspaper staff with me have such hatred for one another no band lasts more than a song and eventually no music at all is played. That and we now have an N64 in the newspaper room.

I do have a hatred when the music press hypes so and so up as the next coming of Jesus, and then they vanish. It just annoys the hell out of me since instead of praising the band for what they bring to the table, it compares them to all these other great bands.

P!ATD are ok, as are FOB, what annoys me ared bands like Jack White's new band ranconteurs(Sp?), and Barats band Dirty Pretty Things being really high up on the carling weekend bill when NOTHING has been properly released, but I do like the fact on one day Feeder are 4th headliners and not top like at download last year, now if they just weren't on the bill at all i wouldn't have to put up with their whinney shit music.....

I like P!ATD. There's nothing wrong with good, harmless, fun music. To paraphrase Keith earlier, they're catchier than bird flu.

Plus I get to see them next week, so all is good.

However, I will agree with the negative things said about their fans. Not so much their hardcore fans even, as every band has them, but the people who say they're fans of the band, when they've only heard 'I Write Sins...', therefore subscribing to the flavour of the month thing. It really annoys me.

Of the Artic Monkey songs played on the radio i think they are decent but i do find it odd how they have got so big so fast. They're really not *that* good but you can't hate them for being successful surely?

Panic At The Disco's new song on Kerrang at the mo is crap but i loved I Write Sins, awesome song.

Dance, Dance and Sugar We're Going Down are awesome songs but the later is well overplayed in my view.

Arctic Monkeys stuff has been in circulation for well over two years now. They built up a large AND dedicated internet following first, which really helped.

Another band tried it as well, the internet following that is. They would have gotten to number one but they were disqualified because they got to many repeat buys (meaning fans were buying a multitude of copies each just to propel them up the charts) I can't remember their name.