TV Shows renewed and cancelled for 2006/2007

Bob Roberts

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CW made it official today, 7th Heaven gets another season, or at least a half season of 13 episodes. It's sort of like graduating high school and coming back to hang out with the younger kids next year. They did all this build up about how the end was coming, they ended it in the most over the top of ways, and now they're coming back? It just doesn't sound like a good move, especially considering that the reason for the show's cancellation in the first place was the high production costs. It's highly unlikely that they're going to go DOWN, and with the way they sort of baited and switched on the end this season, they'll probably have alienated at least a few viewers. Where's the financial sense behind this decision?

For fans of "The O.C.", "The Loop" and "The War At Home", some good news. FOX has picked up all three series for next season, with "The Loop" getting a 13 episode commitment. I was certain "The Loop" was a goner, goody for this.

Source.

From the same source as listed above:

"The Winner," from 20th Century Fox Television, revolves around a successful fortysomething man who looks back at 1994, when he was a 32-year-old slacker (Rob Corddry) living with his parents and spending all his time lying on the couch watching TV. Ricky Blitt and Seth MacFarlane ("Family Guy") are behind the half-hour, which also stars Erinn Hayes ("Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of 'Mork & Mindy'"), Julie Hagerty ("She's the Man"), Keir Gilchrist ("Missing") and Lenny Clarke ("Rescue Me"). Terry Hughes helmed the pilot.

So it's a show about a man looking back at his life in the past? So it's sorta like How I Met Your Mother, but probably not nearly as funny or well done.

TGC

New early cancellations: Invasion, Freddie, Hope & Faith (ABC), as well as Conviction, and Teachers (NBC). I really enjoyed Freddie as well as Teachers, and while the latter's cancellation comes as no surprise, the former is a big disappointment.

Source.

Man, the early leaks are out of control this year. Only a matter of hours now until NBC's upfront, where we will learn the fate of Scrubs (said to be the only "bubble" show still with a chance of renewal), as well as the network's summer, fall and winter schedule.

Edit:

The CW needs shows with an audience/shows that will attract advertisers, so rather then going with something unproven they will bring back a dead show that gets viewers.
Edited by Chester Elegante The Beatnik

I just checked out the Wikipedia entry on Arrested Development, and now I am depressed all over again. That show was just amazing, I just wish that people would have watched it. Everyone who has said it sucked and they didnt get it, I made them watch it with me and suddenly they loved the show. I can't wait to go out and get Season 3 on DVD, August 24th 2006.

There was talk that 7th Heaven's season finale is done as a possible series ender, but that it *may* be back for one more season. But if its bleeding money and not drawing viewers, then I guess its obvious it's done. I don't watch it, though, so I don't care.

Frankly, I'll be surprised if Joey doesn't come back for one more season, but I won't be too disappointed if it isn't.

Funny this is, there aren't any shows marked for cancellation or on put on hiatus that I'm upset about, and I think Will & Grace should have ended a couple of years ago so I'm glad its through.

There was talk that 7th Heaven's season finale is done as a possible series ender, but that it *may* be back for one more season. But if its bleeding money and not drawing viewers, then I guess its obvious it's done. I don't watch it, though, so I don't care.

Frankly, I'll be surprised if Joey doesn't come back for one more season, but I won't be too disappointed if it isn't.

Funny this is, there aren't any shows marked for cancellation or on put on hiatus that I'm upset about, and I think Will & Grace should have ended a couple of years ago so I'm glad its through.

NBC's Fall Schedule Is Here:

NBC PRIMETIME SCHEDULE FOR FALL 2006-07

*New programs in CAPS (with the exception of "ER")

MONDAY

8-9 p.m. "Deal or No Deal"

9-10 p.m. "HEROES"

10-11 p.m. "Medium"

TUESDAY

8-9 p.m. "FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS"

9-10 p.m. "KIDNAPPED"

10-11 p.m. "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"

WEDNESDAY

8-9 p.m. "The Biggest Loser"

9-9:30 p.m. "20 GOOD YEARS"

9:30-10 p.m. "30 ROCK"

10-11 p.m. "Law & Order"

THURSDAY

8-8:30 p.m. "My Name Is Earl" (new time)

8:30-9 p.m. "The Office" (new time)

9-10 p.m. "STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP"

10-11 p.m. "ER"/("THE BLACK DONNELLYS" in January 2007)

FRIDAY

8-9 p.m. "Deal or No Deal"

9-10 p.m. "Las Vegas"

10-11 p.m. "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" (new day and time)

SATURDAY

8-9 p.m. "Dateline Saturday"

9-11 p.m. Drama Series Encores

SUNDAY

7-8 p.m. "FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA"

8-11 p.m. "SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL"

Okay let me say FUCK NBC for cancelling Surface. I feel better now.

Oh, and putting L&O Criminal Intent on Friday nights in the same slot that killed L&O Trial By Jury (which was really good) and Conviction (The L&O show that didn't have L&O in the title, but sucked massive amounts of ass) may not be the smartest move.

As for the new shows:

-STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP is something I've been looking forward to since I first heard about it from AICN earlier in the year. The cast is superb, as most Sorkin created shows are, and the premise looks to be one rife for fun. My top NBC pick of the new season personally.

-FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS I couldn't care less about. I doubt it makes it a month also in the timeslot it's in. Unless CBS moves NCIS to another day or time these two will be basically going after the same audience, and NCIS will win.

-HEROES is JMS' Rising Stars in TV format but without paying for the rights to turn the comic book into a TV Show. Even though I know it won't last I'll give it a shot. It has a solid timeslot between Deal Or No Deal and Medium, but I'm not sure if it will be able to retain DOND's audience, and if it hurts Medium by being such a weak lead in it will die even faster. However it looks right up my alley.

-KIDNAPPED is the new 24/Prison Break/Heist show where we get a pretty simple concept carried out through the whole season huh? A good cast and a strong group of creators, producers, and writers, but that doesn't mean much of anything if nobody watches, which is my prediction. I'll give it a shot, but I'm not expecting it to last very long either. Of course, if it's as boring as Heist was or as convoluted and ridiculous as Prison Break is then I won't be watching long whether is succeeds or not.

-THE BLACK DONNELLYS a midseason replacement that will inherit ER's slot? It doesn't sound like much to me.

-RAINES is the new Medium/Ghost Whisperer, but with a male lead and a really talented cast. Not to mention a solid group of show runners. It all depends on where this winds up on the schedule when it eventually airs, but so long as it doesn't have to go against Criminal Minds or any of the CSI juggernaughts it might be able to survive. I will watch it.

-20 GOOD YEARS is a new Odd Couple? On Wednesday's opposite Lost? Bye bye.

-30 ROCK is the full out comedy version of Sorkin's new show? A good cast, but man is SNL going to lose some good talent this season or what? Anyways, it's also on opposite Lost. I doubt it makes it either.

-ANDY BARKER, P.I. sounds fun, but it all depends on where it lands on the schedule when it debuts. Of course Andy Richter had another great comedy on Fox a few years back, and it failed despite being one of the best shows on at the time. I don't hold out much hope here, but unless it's just opposite some of my favorite shows I'll give it a shot.

-THE SINGLES TABLE see above, except minues the Andy Richter comments.

Glad to hear about Scrubs. They've done this in the past with the show, and it works well. Couldn't care less about Crossing Jordan. I hate that fucking show with a passion. My only real point of being upset is that Surface is gone. Fucking NBC.

TGC

Here is some other early reports courtesy of Variety. I'm shocked that What About Brian was picked up. It's been said that it just wasn't connecting with an audience at all, but it's good that a network is willing to occassionally give a new show a chance to survive. Long gone are the days that poorly recieved shows like The X- Files, Seinfeld, and Night Court were allowed a season or two to find an audience. Nowadays shows like those that eventually became gigantic hits wouldn't make it three months on the air usually.

Finally, anyone know of the fate of ABC's Sons And Daughters? I fell in love with that quirky ensemble comedy show. It was funny, fun, and quite witty.

TGC