Best?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Best of these two?

• Public Enemy
    • NWA
  2. 2. Best of these two?

• Elliott Smith
    • Jeff Buckley

Thought I'd at least throw something up for people who aren't into rock and metal.

First one, two groups who were big in the late 80's, early 90's. I realise PE were Hip Hop whilst NWA were Rap, but yeah, I'll run with it.

Second one, two singer/songwriter types, who both have large cult followings and died young.

I vote NWA over Public Enemy...it's a difficult choice, but ultimately just came down to personal preference. There's not a lot else I can discuss there.

I voted Buckley over Smith, and that was a no-brainer. I love Elliott Smith, and I think he's a fantastic singer-songwriter, but paled in comparison to Jeff Buckley. Buckley had one of, if not the best, male singing voice of anyone at that time, and one of the greatest ever, he was an incredible songwriter, and really diverse, spanning a variety of genres in his work, both with covers and his original material. His voice, both when singing and when talking, was beautiful, he was a gorgeous human being, with a real "X-Factor" to him, amazing charisma, and a phenomenal live performer, it just seemed like everyone who ever saw him or spoke to him was touched or changed in some way.

Elliott Smith is phenomenal, but Jeff Buckley could have been one of the all-time greats had he stayed in this world for longer.

PE no doubt. Maybe its just my bias towards East Coast Rap/Hip Hop, but they had better production and better lyrics. Lyrically, Chuck D is concerned with trying to make things better, rather than spouting the same guns, blunts and bitches shit. That's not a jibe at NWA, I'm a fan, but PE are sooo much more relevant.

Don't really care about Smith or Buckley.

NWA. Just. As much as I love Public Enemy, I've been an NWA fanboy since forever.

Second one goes to Elliot Smith. Again, I love Buckley, as any self-loathing, warm-blooded male does, but I followed Smith from the age of 11 until his death, and I find his music so much more beautiful.

Public Enemy is better than NWA. If you condensed it to who had the best single album, then NWA would win, but nothing past Straight Outta Compton is particularly great.

Public Enemy is better than NWA. If you condensed it to who had the best single album, then NWA would win, but nothing past Straight Outta Compton is particularly great.

I dunno, ...Nation of Millions... is pretty widely heralded as a bonafide classic.

Oh, it is. But I just think Straight Outta Compton was a bit better. It's just that everything after that for NWA was usually over-the-top gangsta posturing.

Jeff Buckley is soooo over rated. Ugh... I just don't get why people are into him so much. His songs were average and his lyrics ok. I've heard many a-better lyricist and vocalist.

Edited by Kid Britain

Jeff Buckley is soooo over rated. Ugh... I just don't get why people are into him so much. His songs were average and his lyrics ok. I've heard many a-better lyricist and vocalist.

Listen to Corpus Christi Carol, or any live version of Grace, and name me a better male vocalist. His voice was nigh-on angelic, and when it came to songs like I Against I, Kick Out The Jams or Eternal Life, he could do fast and aggressive just as well. And, as for lyrics, listen to almost any of the songs off of the first CD of "Sketches For...My Sweetheart The Drunk". While far from the greatest lyricist ever, he's an excellent writer.

And, besides, I'd hardly consider him "over-rated". It's not like he gets any airplay, or is hyped up to the degree that someone like Kurt Cobain is.

Edited by Skumfrog

For once there is a poll here where I like more than one choice. :)

I like both NWA and Public Enemy quite a lot (basically the only rap/hip-hop music I listen to, apart from Jurassic 5), but NWA's music always seemed to flow better to me and came off as catchier. Plus, "Express Yourself" has for a long time been one of my favourite songs, so I couldn't vote against them.

As for the second poll, I haven't heard anything by either. I was perfectly happy to vote for the first one alone, but it told me I needed to vote on both so I quickly selected Buckley.