• Alice In Chains
    • Soundgarden
    • Pearl Jam
  2. 2. Who is the best band of these 4?

• Creed
    • Staind
    • Bush
    • Stone Temple Pilots

I'm going out soon, so just thought I'd stick two up in one go.

Simple really....the 4 grunge giants, and 4 bands who have (either fairly or unfairly) been noted as "ripping off" the grunge sound in some way or another.

First I voted Soundgarden. Nirvana are good, but it was their hype that made them a 'giant' in grunge. I've never really been interested in Pearl Jam, but AiC are good. None of them come close to Soundgarden though >_>

The second one I voted because it wouldn't let me just vote Soundgarden. I'm not familiar with any of them.

Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots for me.

Nirvana is just so meh to me, all hype over Cobain's death nowadays, althought I am sympathetic with his who story. I just like SG far more. Stone Temple Pilots is the only band I'd listen to out of those four.

I live in Seattle, so i think I should set a few things straight

There is no such thing as grunge, it was a label that the media put on them, AIC and Soundgarden are Metal, Pearl Jam is folk and Nirvana is Pop-Punk

Alice in Chains were the greatest thing to come out of seattle, when Layne died, no one cared which pissed me off, I went to that motherfuckers memorial everyday for a month, I still listen to Facelift everyday.

Nirvana owe all their success to mudhoney.

Stone Temple Pilots were actually around the time "Grunge" hit, only they were from california so they were not put into that genre. I think they are the best out of the four.

I don't like any of the Grunge bands, but I voted Nirvana because they're proably the ones I can bare the most.

And well, I have one Creed song on my playlist and zero for their three opponents... so Creed get my vote in the second poll.

EDIT: Fuck, I like Pearl Jam more than I like Nirvana. Damnit. :(

Edited by Burninating Pesci

There is no such thing as grunge, it was a label that the media put on them, AIC and Soundgarden are Metal, Pearl Jam is folk and Nirvana is Pop-Punk

Firstly, I know that there is no "grunge" as such, but thats how people recognise them, so I'm working at those levels.

Secondly, AIC are the closest to metal, but Soundgarden is more tenuous. Pearl Jam are only "folk" on some songs, and definitely not the ones that got them famous, which are rock songs rather than folk songs, and Nirvana are punky on thier first album, and thats it as far as the punk goes, let alone the pop punk. They were a rock band first and foremost, also.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Firstly, I know that there is no "grunge" as such, but thats how people recognise them, so I'm working at those levels.

Secondly, AIC are the closest to metal, but Soundgarden is more tenuous. Pearl Jam are only "folk" on some songs, and definitely not the ones that got them famous, which are rock songs rather than folk songs, and Nirvana are punky on thier first album, and thats it as far as the punk goes, let alone the pop punk. They were a rock band first and foremost, also.

Pearl Jam for the first poll. Obvious choice, if you know me. They're one of my favourite bands of all time. I honestly can't think of a bad song by them. Just fucking amazing.

Second one I went with Staind, as I'm not familiar with Bush, don't really like STP and detest Creed. Staind also have some pretty good songs.

Guest Bluesman

First I'll go with Pearl Jam. I've never really gotten into AIC, and I don't like Soundgarden or Nirvana as much. Unfortunately most Pearl Jam I listen to is from back in the day, as a lot of their newer stuff just doesn't do it for me.

For the second poll, how the fuck is Staind on there? All I've heard from them since their first cd is "Outside" and 4387334234 songs EXACTLY like it. Anyways, I've never gotten into STP, and Creed had one good cd. Bush is where it's at, or at least it was, until that fucking bitch Gwen Stefani destroyed the band. I hate that worthless cunt.

1: Nirvana. Neither Soundgarden nor AiC ever did anything for me, which isn't to say they're bad, just that I don't care for them too much, and Pearl Jam's good stuff is marred by their uninteresting stuff.

2: Stone Temple Pilots, since Creed and Staind both fucking suck and Bush has always struck me as being one of the most unremarkable bands to make it big in the 90's.

For the record, it was the lead singer from Mudhoney who coined the term "grunge rock".

Anyway, I voted for Soundgarden in the first poll, because I think they and Alice In Chains were the most consistently good of the four bands to choose from, but Soundgarden were more diverse and, as such, got my vote here. It probably helps that I was brought up on them.

If Pearl Jam could be as consistently good as they are on Vitalogy, then they'd be the best band on the list, but they have a habit of defaulting to a formula that I find dull and quite tired now, so I don't really find them that appealing these days.

Now...Nirvana. That's a tricky one. They were a good band, and I'll never say otherwise. They just weren't an amazing band. They were a pretty face, and a palatable sound, to use as a figurehead for a movement that was happening anyway. That's why they were so successful. Yeah, they ripped off Mudhoney, the Meat Puppets, The Vaselines, Killing Joke et al, but they were a decent band at the end of it all, just far from the best band of their era.

Pearl Jam is folk and Nirvana is Pop-Punk

While I agree with Alice In Chains, and to a lesser extent Soundgarden, being metal, I can't see this at all. There are only a handful of Pearl Jam songs that even come close to "folk". For the most part, they're hard rock. And "pop-punk" to me means either the likes of The Buzzcocks, or SoCal punk. Nirvana sound like neither.

As for the second poll, I voted Bush. I can't stand Creed or Stain'd, so it was between the other two and, quite simply, I can remember more Bush songs than I can Stone Temple Pilots.

I went with Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots respectively.

AIC got my vote because, while I've been a fan of all four bands at some point or another, they've actually remained a band I still enjoy. The other four unfortunately just never held my interest beyond my adolescent years, where as AIC has managed to do so.

Stone Temple Pilots got my vote by default. I really could never enjoy the bands listed, especially Staind and Creed, but STP I can tolerate. In fact, I'll go as far as saying STP have some very good songs that don't offend my ears when listening to them.