Supermassive Black Hole

GA!

Muse's new single is now available as a download on their website etcetera etcetera. I was wondering what you all thought of it...

Personally I think as a massive departure from their usual apocalyptic melodrama and it pays off quite well. While I don't think I could stand a complete album of electro-pop like songs (although apparently this is a one-off in terms of the album), its good to see Muse show their diversity even further by going towards the more light-hearted and funkier side that usually features in just their B-sides. Naturally because the song doesn't sound like/is about its the end of the world, a lot of Muse fans are shitting on it already.

EDIT: Didn't really mention my own opinion... I think it's great and is a sign of good things to come for the album.

Edited by God-Awful

I like it...the chorus is beautiful. Not everyone will like it, but I suspect it's going to be like the "Our Time Is Running Out" effect in that the 'weakest' yet strangely catchy song will be pumped out into the mainstream first, to try and get a new audience, as the Muse fans will buy the album no matter what.

And yeah was posted in the Radiohead/Muse thread. I liked it...Fivestarfizzle (I think) said it was shit...I think he's shit (:shifty:).

Just found a stream of it...

... it kind of sounds like Muse doing NiN, doing a pop track...

... in a good way...

I orgasmed from the beginning of the songs then when Bellamy started singing I was wondering what the fuck was going before finally just accepting it and loving it.

I guess it goes with their whole wanting of a lighter-heartened album after Dom's dad died.

• 4 weeks later...

I like it. It shows the drastic diversity that they've been needing to show for a while, as well as them being willing to go in new directions which, with their fairly cultish fanbase, I think they can get away with easily. My only real criticism is that it doesn't really "go" anywhere, once you've heard the first minute or so you've heard the whole song.

And isn't the album called "Black Hole &"... something or other? I'm sure I read that somewhere...and that suggests SMBH being different to the other tracks on the album.

Edited by Skumfrog

Black Holes & Revelations...and damn you all for posting in the wrong thead...I made a new one especially. :(

Anyways, my major complaint is like Skumfrog said, it doesn't really go anywhere. My favourite songs thus far are 1,2 and 4. But to be honest I didn't listen to the second half carefully.

The piano riff in "Starlight" is so fucking nice (Plus I can play it... :shifty:). I prefered "Absolution" to any album Muse have done. Still haven't really listened to the second part properly...but I fucking love "Starlight".

I saw the topic title, and the name of teh thread starter, and just thought "how appropriate".

That's nice...

My favourite album out of Absolution and OOS is OOS. While both are my two favourite albums, OOS definitely contains more down and dirty rock. It has more of an imaginative sound, with some of my favourites like Hyper Music, Citizen Erased and Microcuts on it. Absolution is more poppy, a bit slower but more epic. I feel there could've been more tracks as loud and complex as Stockholm Syndrome, but its still absolutely fantastic nonetheless. I hope Black Holes and Relevations is on the same level, and nowhere near the awfulness that is Showbiz.