What Next-Gen System Will You Be Getting?

illmatic

102 members have voted

1. 1. What system will you be getting?

• Wii
    • Playstation 3
    • XBox 360
    • All Three
    • Wii & XBox 360
    • XBox 360 & Playstation 3
    • Wii & Playstation 3
    • None

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be getting a PS3 on release.

Judging by what i know, the Wii is aimed at being a party console, multiplayer galore, laugh at your friends etc. The 360 has got some appeals, like...... (cricket sounds)

Honestly, i'm a 1 player gamer and seeing as FFXIII is going to be on PS3 along with MGS4 and possibly KH3, I'm sticking with Sony. I don't care about the $1000 price tag.

But what games besides FFXIII and MGS4 does the PS3 have to justify that pricetag? Not to mention none of those games are going to be released at launch. PS3's launch is looking really weak, and if there are supply issues, we could be looking at a launch almost as bad as the 360's. Sony hasn't shown a single game that looks like a must-have besides those two, everything else is a glorified tech demo at this point.

At least with the Wii, you're guaranteed Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and Smash Brothers all near the launch period as well as all the goofy party games. Of course the Wii will likely lack the significant third-party support as the console progresses as well.

The 360 is awesome if you want to play nothing but First Person Shooters.

In all honesty, I may just be done with video gaming. I'll probably buy Nintendo's console just for the innovative idea and something to goof around with when friends are around. I think this will be the generation that starts the video game slump similar to what movies are going through right now; the hobby is getting way too expensive, companies are focusing too much on online gaming (and I don't feel like being called a "nigger fag" every time I pick up a controller), and originality is just gone. Okami and God of War 2 are really the only games I'm excited about, and those are both for the PS2.

I already got my XBOX 360, and I'll probably get Wii to go with it

The PS3 has Metal Gear Solid & Final Fantasy, that's about it. Not worth $650 CDN, maybe when it's down in the $200-$300 price range in 2 or 3 years I'll consider one, but at the current price tag the price of a Wii and 360 combined will only be about a hundred more then a PS3

I'll be getting a PS3 on release.

Judging by what i know, the Wii is aimed at being a party console, multiplayer galore, laugh at your friends etc. The 360 has got some appeals, like...... (cricket sounds)

Honestly, i'm a 1 player gamer and seeing as FFXIII is going to be on PS3 along with MGS4 and possibly KH3, I'm sticking with Sony. I don't care about the $1000 price tag.

But what games besides FFXIII and MGS4 does the PS3 have to justify that pricetag? Not to mention none of those games are going to be released at launch. PS3's launch is looking really weak, and if there are supply issues, we could be looking at a launch almost as bad as the 360's. Sony hasn't shown a single game that looks like a must-have besides those two, everything else is a glorified tech demo at this point.

At least with the Wii, you're guaranteed Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and Smash Brothers all near the launch period as well as all the goofy party games. Of course the Wii will likely lack the significant third-party support as the console progresses as well.

The 360 is awesome if you want to play nothing but First Person Shooters.

In all honesty, I may just be done with video gaming. I'll probably buy Nintendo's console just for the innovative idea and something to goof around with when friends are around. I think this will be the generation that starts the video game slump similar to what movies are going through right now; the hobby is getting way too expensive, companies are focusing too much on online gaming (and I don't feel like being called a "nigger fag" every time I pick up a controller), and originality is just gone. Okami and God of War 2 are really the only games I'm excited about, and those are both for the PS2.

I agree that we are headed towards a slump, and for similar reasons. But I think the major factor that is going to affect the gaming industry is the reliance on sequels. Since this is a wrestling board I'll use a wrestling metaphor (or whatever the proper word would be). For years, the WWF/E has prided itself on having some very unique gimmicks. I believe one of their top writers described being a writer to just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. Wrestling has been known to go into slumps when instead of trying something new, the writers are trying to go back in time to something that previously worked. When the writers try something out of the blue, it sometimes flops. But as we saw with Stone Cold Steve Austin, it sometimes works. Video games are in the same situation. When makers are willing to try new titles (as we saw with the PS1 and titles like Tomb Raider) or make an effort to reinvent a certain title (Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid) people are interested. There is one possible difference though. The technology leap from the SNES/Genesis to the PS1/Saturn/N64 is the biggest leap the industry has and will ever see. Perhaps the reliance on the minor improvements to the technology are the problem, though in all honesty I don't really feel they are it is a definite possibility.