What Next-Gen System Will You Be Getting?

illmatic

102 members have voted

1. 1. What system will you be getting?

• Wii
    • Playstation 3
    • XBox 360
    • All Three
    • Wii & XBox 360
    • XBox 360 & Playstation 3
    • Wii & Playstation 3
    • None

I still think theres more nostalgia to having the original systems, regardless of the inconveinence of swapping scart/VHF leads.

Which brings up the question of reliability. Aside from the Gamecube, these systems have been out for quite some time, so just how long could the original systems last even with decent care given to them?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest muddatrucker

To me, the backwards compatibility isn't much of a selling point, if I buy a NES and it breaks, I'll download an emulator, I just don't get it as a feature, lets move on with our consoles.

The Wii will definitely be my first purchase and most likely the one I play the most. When PS3 drops enough I'll get that because of MGS4 and their RPG library. Before E3 I was sold on the PS3, but Nintendo wowed me so much that I flipped. I think the SSB:Brawl trailer was the moment in which I said, "Dear Nintendo, I am now a loyal customer once again."

Edited by damshow

Going strictly off E3 alone, picking any console except the Wii would be retarded. Nintendo blew everyone out of the water and then beat their beached corpses with a board with a nail in it. Microsoft, as usual, relied on Halo to get people interested. Once Sony announced their ridiculous price, and we heard that GTA4 would be on XBox too, suddenly things don't seem so grand. I love the Playstation brand, but I'm sorry, Metal Gear isn't worth $600.

The coolest thing to come from Sony this year at E3 was God of War 2, and that's going to be on the PS2. I don't see how anyone can possibly be excited right now for the PS3, the launch is going to be as weak, if not weaker than the PS2's. If people buy the console despite the price, then go out and buy one since they'll get the games, just like they always do. But if people don't rush out to pay $600 for the thing, you can expect it to be the PS3D0.

Microsoft has the head start, but the 360 is just so damn underwhelming. Do I really need the First Person Shooter Machine? Seriously, what is the point in all these FPSs when Halo 3 is going to be better than all of them and worth playing until Halo 4 comes out? They lucked out with getting GTA4 without having to wait six months. What are the chances of MGS4 eventually showing up on the system as well? Also Sony better come out of the gate with one hell of an online service to combat XBox Live.

Nintendo has all the interest after this E3. Thousands upon thousands of people waiting to get their hands on the Wii. Nintendo, for once, may just be crazy enough to appeal to the masses.

I've been toying with a 360 for ages, I keep thinking I'll get one soon, but don't. Maybe it just doesn't seem essential enough.

Had a Gamecube and never played it, the Wii does nothing for me at all, so thats out of the question.

As for the PS2, for as long as I can remember, I've only used it for Pro Evo and Smackdown, both of which I can now play on the 360, along with GTA, of course, this brings me back to point one, which is I could buy a 360 now, yet I just don't have a yearning to I guess. Unlike when I was getting a PS2, and was beating down door to get to one.

Basically that means 360 for me, but more through default rather than anything else, its not like I'm really hyped on them.

To me, the backwards compatibility isn't much of a selling point, if I buy a NES and it breaks, I'll download an emulator, I just don't get it as a feature, lets move on with our consoles.

In that case, why not just download the emulator first? Copyright issues wouldn't be much of a threat, since I've yet to really see end users hunted down on a level similar to music fans.

The addition of something like this as a feature essentially bolsters a system's gaming choices from single digits to thousands. It gives fans who grew up with Nintendo an opportunity to both try new things and go back to what they enjoyed before, while new fans get to look back at what is arguably the best overall collection of games in business history.

Really, the only thing I can say in retort to any of mudda's statements so far (the guy makes good points, what can I say) is this: the Wii is going to have Gamecube controller ports on its backside-- four, if I remember the image I saw correctly. This means you could probably pick up a gamecube controller at your local Goodwill (I've seen them there before. Yes, Gamecube controller.) or you could just go to a Walmart or Target and pay like 10/15 bucks for the standard one (guestimate).

It costs money yeah, but really not all that much.

Backwards compatability is really only useful if you don't want to bother with all the old catridges and the systems lying about, having to switch systems on the TV to 'enjoy the old days'. It's a nice feature, but it's nothing huge.

I <3 the Wii in the end though. Nice price range, excellent range of games-- broader, too.

PS3 is a close second though... the price really isn't all that off-putting to me, I was figuring it'd be around there long before they came out with it, so... yeah.

I doubt I'll be getting a 360... I just don't see to much appeal to it.

I think this has been Nintendo's most intelligent marketing campaign for a system yet to be honest... should be great to see how things pan out.

I'll give nintendo one thing , they have had a great marketing campaign so far , but I like others can't get around the design of the controller. sure they'll have an addon where you attach it to a gamecube type controller , but I'm worried about how far you can play with the remote .

I don't know how credible it is , but I was reading somewehre where the Wii controller felt weird and at times unresponsive when playing from far back but up close to the tv it works fine . Also I don't see how the control can be used for some games . Baseball games I can see you using ti to swing the bat and etc . It's just too gimmicky for my tastes. If Nintendo can get a good showing of 3rd party titles then they might have a chance , but if all they are going to release is mario types games that make use of the control then it will be useless.

As far as the xbox 360 , I could care less , I've never been a fan of the xbox , don't know why , I think it was Halo's fault , cause I was goign to get an xbox just for halo . Played it on a friends xbox , hated it and never touched it again . KOTOR was amazing though but luckily I got it for pc.

I also read that the new ps2 controller is really light since the vibration mechanic has been taken out and that the title control is unresponsive as well , but so far the only game that supports it is Warhawk.

I also read that the 20gb version of the ps3 won't have wireless controllers along with several other features which i think is a ripoff in a way . but hey they have to make money someway.

The games I'm wanting to play the most are Heavenly Sword and the Dirty Harry game . Heavenly Sword looks like a female version of God Of War.

I'm also excited about God of war 2 but it isn't going to be next gen

But yeah , I've been a Sony man since the Genesis died so I'll be sticking with them once again

I voted none. Not wortht he invesment of whatever hunred's it is, plus the amount of PS2 games that will be tossed onto E-Bay now for nothing appeals to me more. Getting them for like 5$ a piece sounds good to me.

THANK YOU PS3!~

Will most likely get a PS3 at some point after it comes out. *Might* get an X-Box 360, but only if the DOA license stays exclusive and Rumble Roses XX doesn't get a PS3 version. Won't get a Wii unless I win one in a contest or someone gives me one.

I got a premium 360, the plug and play battery kit, Ghost Recon and Condemned for $330 the other day so I'm sticking that.

I've got Alan Wake, Smackdown, Madden, NBA 2k7, Gears of War, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Jusitce Leauge Heroes, Saints Row and hopefully Just Cause to look forward to in the next 6 months

Plus all the First Person Shooters I can shake a stick at.

Oh and Dead Rising, because that game should keep me amused for months

Edited by Maxx

Just the PS3 for me. Although I won't be rushing to buy it on release day. I can wait. I've never bothered with Nintendo or Microsoft's consoles much. I went from Sega to Sony and those are the two I feel comfortable with so I'll be sticking with Sony. Especially now that I know the controller is the same style.

I think Microsoft had the best show of all three.

The Wii controlloer is really something I have to get a hand on to feel comfortable about it, it looks like it could be tiring after a while, and having a small room doesnt really make me look forward to having to swing my arms around...in theory its a good idea but is it practical?

PS3 did nothing for me, they dont have any real exclusives that Im itnerested in and I dont give a damn about hardware specs or online play, the only big thing I liked about PS3 was the MGS4 trailer.

360 has finally got me interested with its games. All the games I want minus Nintendo stuff (Zelda DS etc) are either exclusive to the 360 or will be on all three systems so eff paying an arm and a leg for a machine that so far, doesnt entice me.

I plan on buying a Wii and a 360, once the price drops.

Edited by Boogey131

Guest clintcasey

I've heard a few people mention stuff about the Wii control pad. Asside from the fact that there is one the WII contains several ports for plugging in the old Game Cube Controlers. In fact thats the controler they're intending for people to still be using when they come out with SSB:B