Transfer Talk

Steeb

He is over-priced. But he is class. He's been injured on and off this year, which accounts for the lack of goals, and he won most of those penalties in the Premiership. He has great movement, great pace, good strength for a smaller player and an obvious eye for goal.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is over-priced. But he is class. He's been injured on and off this year, which accounts for the lack of goals, and he won most of those penalties in the Premiership. He has great movement, great pace, good strength for a smaller player and an obvious eye for goal.

I'm glad people seem to realise that. Its unfair to attribute him scoring mostly penalties as a negative when his holding up of the ball, movement and pace generally won him most of those penalties, as defenders couldn't handle him.

He isn't worth 8.5million, but he is a good buy for whoever picks him up.

Good points made, but is the ability to win penalties really something you want your strikers to have to rely on? Especially when that year he used that "ability" to score more than half of all his goals.

Yeah, but its not something they'd need to rely on, cos he CAN score in open play....it just doesn't help that when he is in the penalty area he is as likely to be hacked down then not.

Who knows, if he hadn't been fouled for as many penalties, he may have scored more goals from open play, as he was usually fouled in places for good goal scoring oppurtunities.

With his movement and pace, it seems that he'll either win you penalties or if he isn't fouled, score as well. 10 isn't loads and loads, but some teams last year would have killed for a player to score that many, and when you add the fact that he actually scored 22, no matter where they came from, he'll get you goals.

I don't think Defoe can be relied upon at the moment, either. He's barely figured for England and had an on-off season at Spurs, whilst I think he's a good player I think he'll always be one of those "could have but never was" type players.

I don't think he's had many chances to prove himself at international level, unless I'm really forgetting something. Again, IIRC at Spurs this year he's had trouble getting in the team at times. On the last day of the season, an ill Robbie Keane got in the team ahead of a fit Defoe. However, when I've seen him on the pitch for Spurs this season, he's looked good.

With Rooney injured, this could have been the World Cup for Defoe to shine.

Well, there's hope for Summers, yet. Monaco and PSG, are apparently lining up a bid for Milan Baros.

Well, so says The Times, so take it for what it's worth..

Edited by Lost Soul

Paul Dickov's just rejoined Man City on a free from Blackburn.

Antoine Ponroy and William Stanger have joined Rangers for unknown sums of money from Rennes.

As most will know, Rosicky has joined Arsenal from Dortmund for another unknown fee.

And The Times says Woodgate might be going back to Middlesbrough from Real Madrid.

On the last day of the season, an ill Robbie Keane got in the team ahead of a fit Defoe.

Keane and Defoe both started that game.

As far as Defoe for England is concerned, I only remember him making 20-odd minute appearances, but he hasn't impressed in any of them really. He's probably just one of those players, for now, who does well for his club but underperforms for his country.

According to the "Tangled Web" rumour mill report in today's Guardian, Defoe may be going to Liverpool with Harry Kewell heading the other way.

Oh dear.

I would think that is solely a rumour. If Defoe does leave it would be January at the earliest I would think. And I don't see Kewell going anywhere else this season either.