Eurovision Song Contest 2006

TheArsenal

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lordi, however, owned. They're a GWAR rip-off, yes, but a bloody good one.

Besides the customes I wouldn't really class them with GWAR. This coming from a huge GWAR fan I might add.

I'm a huge GWAR fan too, I was meaning that they were a rip-off aesthetically, rather than musically. That said, the Lordi drummer has the best stage name ever: Kita - The Space Alien With The Powers Of Every Beast Known To Man Combined.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5006286.stm

:o:o:w00t::o:o

The Finnish city of Rovaniemi says it will name a square after monster rock band Lordi, its surprise Eurovision Song Contest winners.

The band was the first Finnish act to claim victory in the competition.

It also made history as the first heavy metal group to win. Its song Hard Rock Hallelujah scored record points.

The mayor of Rovaniemi - the band's hometown, located on the Arctic Circle - said the municipality wanted to honour its sons for their success.

Until now, Finland had one of the worst records in the history of the annual contest.

But Lordi, whose members dress as monsters with horns and claws, pulled off a surprise win in Saturday's competition in Athens.

The new square bearing Lordi's name will be part of the redevelopment of Rovaniemi's city centre.

The town - the regional capital of Lapland - lies on the Arctic Circle and describes itself as the home of the real Santa Claus.

In a statement issued to Finnish media the official Rovaniemi Santa Claus said: "Lordi's victory shows us that with hard work and belief in your own abilities even the greatest dreams come true."

Finland has embraced the band since its victory - despite earlier concerns it would tarnish the country's reputation.

Both Finnish President Tarja Halonen and Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen have also congratulated the group.