Battle Royal: American

Pepsi

I hope Rob Cohen directs it! [/sarcasm]

Well, it can't be a good sign, but I'll hold out judgment until things like directors and writers are assigned. Knowing the producer's (I believe that's Neal H. Moritz) history, I doubt he's heading for the good directors. This'll probably be directed by Lee Tamahori, written by Rich Wilkes, and feature far too much CGI. Which means it'll suck ass.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SON OF A BITCH BASTARDS!

YOU STOLE MY IDEA

:(

This is a dark day. Going by what has been seen just by the producer's resume, we have hot (yet talentless) women taking over the girls that die, a B-List actor in the Kitano role, Hayden Christensen as the big name to play Kiriyama, and some black rapper to be either Kawada or Mimura that's going to release some shitty Battle Royale single (Bow Wow, I'm looking at you <_< ) that punk kids are going to be blasting out of their cars, while Epert and Roper bury the film.

**Sigh**

Did I see that the article called this "Battle Royal" sans the "E"? Christ, I did.... :crying:

There really is no hope.

To be fair Mick, Hayden would at least be better than Muniz. Even if he was shit in the two Star Wars prequels, he has done some alright shit as opposed to most of the teen/20somethings mentioned in the topic.

New Line has landed the remake rights to the Japanese cult hit "Battle Royal," one of the most violent films in the history of Japanese cinema.

Oh Christ, no it's not. People make a big deal of the violence because it's kids killing eachother, but it's really not that bad at ALL.

Yes, this is a ridiculous thing to pick at but hey.

Ok, I am not saying this is going to be good or bad, but comparing it to BR in in itself is a little unfair.

With that said, the track record for good japanese to american movies is batting about 0% right now. I don't expect this to be any different, but I will go see it. The key to this is to not directly remake the film, but to make it in its own using the basic plot and capturing some of the more memorable details.

Naturally here in America there are a bit more rules and regs to follow and of course being PC. So that already restricts BR: USA.

Have them all be Arab kids.

Americans don't mind seeing dead Arab kids on TV. There you go.

Why don't they just release BR as is in America? It worked with Oldboy, right? :\

Eh, I dunno what to make of it. It could be alright, and it could be bollocks. To me, it's not going to detract from the original film (or for that matter, book) if it is shit, but it'll be disappointing anyway.

Am I the only one who doesn't expect them to have an americanised 'Kawada', 'Kiriyama' etc? Somehow I don't see them in a rush to cast someone as a fugitive rebel who wants to bring down the government by killing their own soldiers if necessary. The Bush administration is so fucked up that they'd put high school kids into a game of death? The story is going to be changed so dramatically, why would they keep Kiriyama, or Shuya or whoever? I dunno, I'm not the biggest movie afficianado around here but I can't see it happening. It'll be BR in name and concept only. Battle Royale wasn't about kids killing each other.

Why don't they just release BR as is in America? It worked with Oldboy, right? :\

Eh, I dunno what to make of it. It could be alright, and it could be bollocks. To me, it's not going to detract from the original film (or for that matter, book) if it is shit, but it'll be disappointing anyway.

Am I the only one who doesn't expect them to have an americanised 'Kawada', 'Kiriyama' etc? Somehow I don't see them in a rush to cast someone as a fugitive rebel who wants to bring down the government by killing their own soldiers if necessary. The Bush administration is so fucked up that they'd put high school kids into a game of death? The story is going to be changed so dramatically, why would they keep Kiriyama, or Shuya or whoever? I dunno, I'm not the biggest movie afficianado around here but I can't see it happening. It'll be BR in name and concept only. Battle Royale wasn't about kids killing each other.

NAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Stupid stupid stupid.

Why must Hollywood jump in on anything from Asia that is good and pure.

Grudge and Ring ruined.

The magnificent Infernal Affairs remade.

Oldboy being rumoured to be remade with Tom Hanks in the title role...

And now Battle Royale.

Just release the actual film and Hollywood, GET SOME ORIGINAL IDEAS!

No to rappers in title roles.

No to the director of some of the world films ever made.

No to Hayden Christiansen in a main role.

And if you HAVE to make it, at least spell it right.

It may be good, there may be SOMETHING that saves it, but in all seriousness, the soul of the film will be lost and lets face it, the 'soul' of Battle Royale along with the magnificent story and concept makes up for some patchy acting, effects and everything else Hollywood is bound to focus on.

I'd image they'll do away with the classical music and replace it with 'techno' or 'gangsta' music.

I don't see this as all that big of a deal. I love BR, it's one of my favourite movies, but who gives a shit if the remake sucks? Most remakes do suck. The movie isn't the Holy Grail; one crappy remake won't destroy the original any more than the awful sequel did.

It might suck, it might be good, but either way, so what? It's only a movie.

Very true. It's just the kinda thing that if a remake is worse, and people's concept of the movie is the remake rather than the original it can sometimes (in a selfish way) feel frustrating to those who are big fans of an original.

There HAVE been good remakes though, like Vanilla Sky (remake of Open Your Eyes)

I've always been of the opinion that other people's enjoyment doesn't matter. I like films my mates hate, and vice versa. Quite frankly, I've seen the original and I like the original, so I couldn't give a rat's ass if anyone else likes it or not, or has only seen the remake.

I love how New Line and the Weinsteins wait until the same week to announce this and the "Seven Samurai" remake. It's like they're trying to piss off Japanese film fans.