42 members have voted

1. 1. What's the bigger screwjob?

• Montreal 1997
    • Lisbon 2004

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironic, really.  You've been bitching about that ever since the match.  Not really other news.

I don´t care, i´ll have fun in laughing about you guys bitching, moaning and crying as long as you do, bwhahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

the refferes in 64 werrent in the final as well, even if that have been more than twice as much games :P

Edited by Michael Matzat

Man can you read? Other Euro (except 60 & 64) did not have quarterfinals. They had group stages and then semi-final.

Euro 64

final: Blavier

quarters: Schwinte, Barberan, Roomer, van Nuffel, Verbist, Jionni, Lo Bello, Finney & Holland

60? Try the World Cup. If this came from somewhere like The Sun, then I wouldn't even be arguing. But it came from 2 respectable websites (SkySports and BBC) who don't make news up.

Euro 60

final: Ellis

quarters: Asensi, Helge, Barberan, Stoll, Dorogi & Gulliksen.

So your "tradition" was applied a booming 0 (zero!) times.

So why did 2 sites, and 2 newspapers say it then? Like I said, they don't make news up unlike The Sun/Mirror/News of the World (who didn't report it). There has to be a reason why they said it.

Plus he was in contention for the final anyway, UEFA and FIFA regard him as one of the best referees in the World.

EDIT: Out of interest, where are you getting this from?

Edited by Agent_Sm1th

Guest BigDirty

So why did 2 sites, and 2 newspapers say it then?  Like I said, they don't make news up unlike The Sun/Mirror/News of the World (who didn't report it).  There has to be a reason why they said it.

Plus he was in contention for the final anyway, UEFA and FIFA regard him as one of the best referees in the World.

EDIT: Out of interest, where are you getting this from?

Here it's a german site that has a lot of statistics from past tournaments, leagues and so on.

http://www.fussballdaten.de/em/1960/

http://www.fussballdaten.de/em/1964/

http://www.fussballdaten.de/em/1996/

http://www.fussballdaten.de/em/2000/

Viertelfinale = Quaterfinal

klick on the question result (eg. 5:2) on the left side

Schiedsrichter = Reffere (on the left side of the last line in the first gray box)

Such sides that only build around the stand alone meaning of a word without much (if anny) text work out very good in translation mashines such as babelfish ore whatever becaus gramma cant be fucked up.

Edited by Michael Matzat

http://www.fussballdaten.de/em/1960/

http://www.fussballdaten.de/em/1964/

http://www.fussballdaten.de/em/1996/

http://www.fussballdaten.de/em/2000/

Viertelfinale = Quaterfinal

klick on the question result (eg. 5:2) on the left side

Schiedsrichter = Reffere (on the left side of the last line in the first gray box)

Such sides that only build around the stand alone meaning of a word without much (if anny) text work out very good in translation mashines such as babelfish ore whatever becaus gramma cant be fucked up.

Ok, the thing on BBC and SS are coming from somewhere (perhaps the World Cup?) I dunno so I'll say you're right. But again, Meier was in the running to referee the final, but now isn't. That, to me, suggests that UEFA know he's wrong, althought they won't publically say it.

EDIT: Grammar.

Edited by Agent_Sm1th

and still merk was the hottest candidate sinc forever becaus he wassent alowed to be in the world cup final sinc for reason no one could explain yet germany made it there . . .

No one disputed the fact that he couldn't referee the WC final, because his country was in it! That's obvious.

But Meier is classed as one of the top referees in the world, along with Merk and Collina, and was in the running for the final. After the game he wasn't - go figure.

Not even mentioning Beckett electing to kick the ball to the girl flashing him in the stands instead of in the net.

At least Bret Hart had another company with great wages to go to, but Urs Meier's one man mission against the English sent us crashing out of another tournament and stopped us winning for another two years. Oh how I shall enjoy watching us lift the cup in Germany.

We were too shit to beat Portugal. We got as far as we did because France played poorly, Portugal played below par, Croatia played poorly and Switzerland were too crap to take us to town. The Italians are the same as the English - it's never OUR fault we played shit, so it's got to be someone elses. Look, Erikkson played the wrong tactics all the time. Only against Croatia did he get it right, and even then we looked shakey. We were too poor to win. We COULD have won, but Erikkson isn't a good manager. Was Meier's refereeing shit in the game? I feel so. He made many bad decisions for both sides. But to say we deserved to win is absolutely ludicrous. We never created any real play, we never controlled the ball enough and we had quite possibly the biggest underachievers in midfield in the whole tournament. Beckham, Gerrard, Scholes (to an extent) and Lampard (again, to an extend) all played below par. Owen played below par. Terry played below par. David James played his usual self, which is shit. It was our defence and Wayne Rooney that kept us in it.

Besides, we have two years to improve. May we go on to 2006 and whip Germany in the final 40 years after we did it to them before :P

which is complete bullshit. Im a referee myself

I'm a referee as well. I personally think the goal should have been allowed. However if that is the rule, as much as it's annoying, the referee has the choice to take the rule into effect. In fact, it's his perogative. You can't choose as a referee who you like and decide to help them out - you have to take it individually.

I actually agree with BSIG. If England had of been at there best they wouldn't have even had to meet Portugal and would have got Greece instead. I was pissed when the Italians went out I admit, but now I'll admit we played pretty much shit, minus the first half against Sweeden. I have no clue whether the goal should of stood for England if you want me to be honest. Yeah maybe nothing was wrong, but then again I don't have time to read through the rule books caring about it. It happened, and however much everyone moans about it, nothing will EVER change it. Not to mention that the referee shouldn't be to blame if you ask me. Yeah maybe he made the wrong descsion, but please you cant expect every referee to get every descsion right. He thought he see something that was wrong, so he decided to rule the goal out. I think he already apologised for getting it wrong, but he shouldn't be to blame for England going out because at the end of the day they were poor.

So I still say it wasn't a screwjob and Bret's is by far worst.

The most plausible reason I can think of as to why UEFA ruled Meier out of refereeing the final was simply to avoid controversy and a possible repeat of the mass hysteria that followed the Portugal-England game. Simple as.

*sigh*

England were just unlucky. There was no screwjob, are you all idiots? Their best striker was injured from a foul in the Portuguese penalty box then punished for it, the linesman made a dubious decision and the penalty spot was fucked for the first penalty whcih should have been taken again.

Doesn't mean I like you though, if England had gone through and then won it all I'd never hear the end of it. You still talk about 1966 as if it was yesterday.

And Matzat & co., stop looking for trouble, I didn't see anyone make fun of you for the German national squad playing utterly shite compared to their normal form.