42 members have voted

1. 1. What's the bigger screwjob?

• Montreal 1997
    • Lisbon 2004

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meier's decision, though, might have cost him his chance of refereeing the final.

Uefa's refereeing committee are certain to look at the incident in private and decide on Meier's fate.

Traditionally, the referee for the final is chosen from one of the four quarter-final officials.

Credit

Two college Football games I can think of (and by Football, I mean American, not Soccer). although I don't remember the years:

1. Conference Championship game: Colorado vs. Colorado State. The Buffalos shouldn't have won, because the timekeeper or whoever is supposed to keep track of what down it is fucked up miserably. Colorado scored the game winning touchdown on what was a 5th down! (For those of you who don't keep up, you only get 4 downs in football. Should've been Colorado State's ball)

2. Tennessee Volunteers vs. Florida Gators: The Gators won the game when the ball BOUNCED OFF Jabar Gaffney's chest, and was ruled a touchdown. Gaffney didn't even have anything close to possession of the ball, so the ref uber who signaled it was a TD majorly fucked up.

(And before any Florida Gators fan tries to step in and say I'm wrong, the ref who made the call watched the footage an hour or two after the game and admitted he screwed up. Unfortunately, it wasn't overturnable by then.)

• Admin

If anyone thought a referee would give a goal that may or may not have been a foul in the last minute of a quarter final of a major championship, against the host country of all people, they need to wake up and smell the coffee.

If Portugal had done the same against England in England, you can bet the referee would still have disallowed the goal.

And we'd all be clamouring to say what a great ref he was for spotting the foul.

I may be a small English ref Matzat but I get all rule modifications/additions from UEFA, I have also been on numerous courses. NOT ONCE has a rule ever been mentioned to state that goalkeepers have to be protected in the 6 yard box, fouls on the goalkeeper are just the same as anybody else on the field, you obviously can't obstruct nor push the goalkeeper..just like you can't dot that to any other player on the pitch. There are no specific rules or laws that state a goalkeeper needs to be protected.

Secondly, the reason that UEFA and other referee's have come out in support of Meier is due to the fact that the authorities always support other referee's, it is expected that if another referee made a howler that Urs Meier would come out in support for them.

Finally, to say that Ricardo was being obstructed is quite frankly..WRONG, he was not being obstructed, a player was stood next to him, John Terry was neither pushing or holding Ricardo back. If that is counted as obstruction that would mean players just aren't allowed to stand next to each other.

Face it, England got a bad decision given against them that cost the match. It happens, I know that, however it doesn't make it any easier to take.

English fans are getting annoying.

You lost, get over it. Its a bitch, yes, but rules are different in different countries. I mean, if a US team goes to play a Canadian Football League team in Canada, they should expect CFL rules, so if England plays in Europe, you gotta follow the Euro rules. You don't, its your own fault.

English fans are getting annoying.

You lost, get over it. Its a bitch, yes, but rules are different in different countries. I mean, if a US team goes to play a Canadian Football League team in Canada, they should expect CFL rules, so if England plays in Europe, you gotta follow the Euro rules. You don't, its your own fault.

Im not trying to be a tit here but, you don't know what your talking about. I don't mean any disrespect by that, it's just that European teams, be it in the Bundesliga, Premier League, Serie A or whatever all follow UEFA guidelines, there's no such thing as one set of rules for International football and a different set for English football. If there were why would referee's from the English football league referee in Europe?

At this point I will say.....

UEFA said if English fans misbehaved at Euro 2004 then England woul dbe kicked out of the tournament. Did they tell Mr Referee to make sure England (the troublemakers) went home...whilst Portugal (the home country) went through?

This of what may have happened outside the stadium if England had gone through.....

You lost, get over it.

Sadly, for the majority of us English, thats impossible. They'll bitch and moan about it till the next World Cup, then we'll get knocked out again and find something else to blame it on.

When it came down to it,

England DID deserve that winning goal.

But England DIDN'T deserve to win the game.

you guys have no idea how  hard you make me laugh with every new post, i hope this never end  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

cryyyyyyyyyyy baaaaaaaaaaaaby cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, your ooooooooooold enough to knoooooooooooooow better so cry baby cry [/beatel]

Love how you ignored my post Matzat, which, coincidentally, proved you wrong.

Guest BigDirty

Love how you ignored my post Matzat, which, coincidentally, proved you wrong.

The ref for the Euro 2000 final was Anders Frisk. The refs in the Euro 2000 quarterfinals were Collina, Garcia-Aranda, Pereira & Jol. There goes your quarterfinal ref tradition point, bye bye.

Euro 1996:

final: Pairetto

quarterfinals: Lopez Nieto, Batta, Sundell & Krug

The two mentioned Euros have been the only Euros that even had quarterfinals (60 & 64 had quarterfinals too but they were two matches per game). Wow that's some tradition. :rolleyes:

Edited by BigDirty

The ref for the Euro 2000 final was Anders Frisk. The refs in the Euro 2000 quarterfinals were Collina, Garcia-Aranda, Pereira & Jol. There goes your quarterfinal ref tradition point, bye bye.

Euro 1996:

final: Pairetto

quarterfinals: Lopez Nieto, Batta, Sundell & Krug

The two mentioned Euros have been the only Euros that even had quarterfinals (60 & 64 had quarterfinals too but they were two matches per game). Wow that's some tradition. :rolleyes:

Read the BBC link, dumbass. Or, even the quote. And no, you can't use your generic 'it makes up news' excuse this time.

Guest BigDirty

Read the BBC link, dumbass.  Or, even the quote.  And no, you can't use your generic 'it makes up news' excuse this time.

Oh I was proved wrong so I have to start insulting again. I just proved that a quarterfinal ref has never been in a final so it can hardly be a "tradition" that a quarterfinal ref is the ref in the final, dumbass. :rolleyes:

Oh I was proved wrong so I have to start insulting again. I just proved that a quarterfinal ref has never been in a final so it can hardly be a "tradition" that a quarterfinal ref is the ref in the final, dumbass.  :rolleyes:

You provided 2 finals. Hardly 'never' now, is it?

you are turnin more and more into an AR :D

i havent even started to make fun of you for not explaining why non of the other quaterfinal refs was nominatet for the final even thouh no one was upset about them and after all they all werent send home after the reffere wise horibbel group stages (as you, as master of all rules know, 8 refferes get send hom after the group stages, 8 stay, and yes thats one more than they even need for the 7 games comming wich of cause makes it even more silly to claim one ref would get two games . . .)

in other news, your such a unfair looser and crybaby, BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You provided 2 finals. Hardly 'never' now, is it?

how silly are you ?

Edited by Michael Matzat

Guest BigDirty

You provided 2 finals.  Hardly 'never' now, is it?

Man can you read? Other Euro (except 60 & 64) did not have quarterfinals. They had group stages and then semi-final.

Euro 64

final: Blavier

quarters: Schwinte, Barberan, Roomer, van Nuffel, Verbist, Jionni, Lo Bello, Finney & Holland

Edited by BigDirty

in other news, your such a unfair looser and crybaby, BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ironic, really. You've been bitching about that ever since the match. Not really other news.

Like FFS said, we did deserve that goal, but we didn't deserve to win. Portugal outplayed us from the moment we scored our goal. Just look at the stats. They had something like 30 shots on goal.

Man can you read? Other Euro (except 60 & 64) did not have quarterfinals. They had group stages and then semi-final.

And who were the referees in those?