Biggest Screwjob

TheArsenal

What's the bigger screwjob?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What's the bigger screwjob?

• Montreal 1997
    • Lisbon 2004

you guys have no idea how  hard you make me laugh with every new post, i hope this never end  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

cryyyyyyyyyyy baaaaaaaaaaaaby cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, your ooooooooooold enough to knoooooooooooooow better so cry baby cry [/beatel]

2. No trolling. Trolling is best described as going into a thread and making controversial comments with no information to back up your case.

3. Post respectfully, even if you disagree with the point. You look far more badass when you dissect someone's argument point-by-point and with class than resorting to childish name-calling.

As for this poll, I disagree with both of them. First off, Professional Wrestling is not a competitive sport, so it doesn't really warrant mention in a Sports poll. Secondly, while you might choose to disagree with Meier's call, it's clear to see that there wasn't any malicious intent in his call. We're not talking about a black and white textbook case here, it's very grey. In the realm of screwjobs throughout the history of sports, it gets much worse.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agent Sm1th, your just coming off as a poor loser who continually tries to come up with excuses that prove your point even after being proven wrong at every turn.

In that case you might want to go into the other thread, where the rules were posted - proving why the goal should've been allowed.

Or all the referees who have said it was a goal.

In that case you might want to go into the other thread, where the rules were posted - proving why the goal should've been allowed.

From what I've seen, for everything that says that it should be a goal, there's something that says that the call was correct.

Either way, it was hardly a screw job. Shit happens in sports, you gotta move on. Hell, I'm a Raider fan, and nearly every weird game in NFL history has involved the Raiders... the Immaculate Reception, the Holy Roller, the Heidi Game, the Tuck Rule. Some go your way, some don't. Eventually you'll get the call back, its the way of sports.

Guest BigDirty

Man stop posting wrong info and give up already. Actually I've only heard of one ref who said it was a goal and that ref was ENGLISH. ALL other refs or ex-refs I've heard said that it was a CORRECT decision.

Meier was never a candidate for the final because quarterfinal refs never ref in the final. You base your arguments on an article that said that there was a tradition for the quarterfinal refs, that article didn't even have Merk on the list of candidates. So please use your brain, they used a nonexsisting tradition and therefore a completely untrue candidate list. Merk & Collina were basically the only candidates for the final spot and Merk was the HUGE favourite all along because of 2002.

Seriously it's getting quite annoying.

Edited by BigDirty

Man stop posting wrong info and give up already. Actually I've only heard of one ref who said it was a goal and that ref was ENGLISH. ALL other refs or ex-refs I've heard said that it was a CORRECT decision.

You've heard two refs in this thread say that it was a goal. Read the whole thread. I find it funny how people ignore some info and listen to what they want to hear. Im sure i've done it in the past but this thread is such a perfect example.

Guest Wrestling_Man

Biggest screwjob in the history of sports was at the 1972 Olympic games between the USSR and the USA. The USA had just won the gold medal for basketball and then the referees said to add 2 more seconds for USSR and then USSR went on to win the gold. Biggest screw job in the history of sports right there.

I think the biggest screwjob was probably in the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin. With Hitler in power and the entire event filled with racist Nazi influence, it was the biggest screwjob over Hitler when a black athelete from the USA, Jesse Owens took home 4 Gold Medals (the 100-meter dash, the long jump (made an Olympic record), the 200-meter sprint around a turn (made a world record), and part of the team for the 400-meter relay). They got screwed over by a man who was basically everything their racist beliefs were against.

Guest BigDirty

You've heard two refs in this thread say that it was a goal. Read the whole thread. I find it funny how people ignore some info and listen to what they want to hear. Im sure i've done it in the past but this thread is such a perfect example.

Wow, you're an english lower league ref that means you're absolutely neutral on this agenda and qualified. :rolleyes:

So hmm which ref should I believe, the international recognized non-english refs on TV or some lower league ENGLISH ref on some message board (who by the way thinks that the rules and guidelines are the same in every league)? Difficult choice if you ask me.

Just because you're a ref doesn't mean you know the rules. I'm an active player and I know lots of lower league refs and at least 50% of them have no plan at all, why should I believe that you're different?

Edited by BigDirty

I am a German minore League Ref to.

I say it was a corect decision.

Funny how that's just come out now.

And just for the record, van Nistelrooy has also said all the 50/50 decisions went in Portugal's favour. So now that's 2 countries - or did the match get called straight down the middle? The answer: no. It's a known fact that the home nation will get preferential treatment. Hell, England got it during 1966 and 1996. Same at club level. The home team will usually get marginally 'better' treatment than the visiting team.

So hmm which ref should I believe, the international recognized non-english refs on TV or some lower league ENGLISH ref

Would they be the GERMAN refs? Anyway, a majority of FIFA's/UEFA's referees will support each other anyway, so that argument is invalid.

Either way, it was hardly a screw job. Shit happens in sports, you gotta move on.

I actually never said it was a screwjob/conspiracy, just a poor decision.

Guest BigDirty

And just for the record, van Nistelrooy has also said all the 50/50 decisions went in Portugal's favour.  So now that's 2 countries - or did the match get called straight down the middle?  The answer: no.  It's a known fact that the home nation will get preferential treatment.  Hell, England got it during 1966 and 1996.  Same at club level.  The home team will usually get marginally 'better' treatment than the visiting team.

It's funny that your points are always made by people from the teams that lost. That makes it very credible.

Would they be the GERMAN refs? Anyway, a majority of FIFA's/UEFA's referees will support each other anyway, so that argument is invalid.

Yeah, some of them were german and what's that got to do with anything? Oh right I forgot the germans hate the english and therefore it's clear that they say that it was no goal, right. So every professional ref in the world could say it was the correct decision but they would only say so because they want to support there colleagues? :rolleyes: The funny thing is that one of these guys just said the other day that the refs are giving too many yellow cards for diving attempts that are not clear dives.

It's funny that your points are always made by people from the teams that lost. That makes it very credible

Well, the winning team aren't going to complain, are they?

Yeah, some of them were german and what's that got to do with anything? Oh right I forgot the germans hate the english and therefore it's clear that they say that it was no goal, right.

And there are plenty of refs who said it was a goal.

So every professional ref in the world could say it was the correct decision but they would only say so because they want to support there colleagues?

In some cases, yes.

The funny thing is that one of these guys just said the other day that the refs are giving too many yellow cards for diving attempts that are not clear dives.

What's that got to do with anything?

There's one key problem here. In England, the goal would've been given, but it clearly won't be in Europe.

Problem is, I'm not wrong - but neither is anyone else. I've grown up playing by these rules and watching them enforced, and I'm sure it's the same with most other English fans. So when different rules are enforced, it's difficult to adjust.

Matzat said those kind of goals are disallowed all the time in Germany (wrongly, IMO) but they aren't in England - they'd be given. That's why almost 99% of English fans would/will say it's a goal, because, in England, it is.

Edited by Agent_Sm1th

Matzat, I'm really looking forward to the CL when your little team get knocked out in the group stages and we'll see how you react then

Don't count Werder Bremen out yet mate ;) They could shock you. They pretty much ran away with the Bundesliga last season.

Let me clarify my position: I would have given the goal because that's how it is in the English game. However, the international level is different. The English game is tougher than the other leagues. On an international level, you would have to give the decision.

It's funny that your points are always made by people from the teams that lost. That makes it very credible.

It was an impartial party commentating on the game. I don't think the fact that he lost makes it invalid. What does England not getting a goal have to do with his welfare or self-being?

So every professional ref in the world could say it was the correct decision but they would only say so because they want to support there colleagues?

If someone in your office was accused of something from an outside source, you'd generally public support them, would you not? Most people would do that.

All I know is that we lost, so what can you do? Bring on Wales and Northern Ireland :shifty:

I think the biggest screwjob was probably in the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin. With Hitler in power and the entire event filled with racist Nazi influence, it was the biggest screwjob over Hitler when a black athelete from the USA, Jesse Owens took home 4 Gold Medals (the 100-meter dash, the long jump (made an Olympic record), the 200-meter sprint around a turn (made a world record), and part of the team for the 400-meter relay). They got screwed over by a man who was basically everything their racist beliefs were against.

And that was a Screwjob how? Owens didn't break any rules. It was great to see him stick it to Hitler, and it was probably the greatest sports moment of the 20th century, but it wasn't a screwjob.

And that was a Screwjob how? Owens didn't break any rules. It was great to see him stick it to Hitler, and it was probably the greatest sports moment of the 20th century, but it wasn't a screwjob.

i know, i meant it as as screwjob against hitler, they expect to show how amazing this new germany nation was at sport, but he was proved wrong by black american. kinda screwed him over.

Guest BigDirty

What's that got to do with anything?

Well, you said that refs will support their colleagues, I just showed you that there is at least one guy who criticizes his colleagues.

There's one key problem here.  In England, the goal would've been given, but it clearly won't be in Europe.

Problem is, I'm not wrong - but neither is anyone else.  I've grown up playing by these rules and watching them enforced, and I'm sure it's the same with most other English fans.  So when different rules are enforced, it's difficult to adjust.

Matzat said those kind of goals are disallowed all the time in Germany (wrongly, IMO) but they aren't in England - they'd be given.  That's why almost 99% of English fans would/will say it's a goal, because, in England, it is.

So if you're willing to accept that these kind of goals won't be given in Europe, why are you arguing that the ref made a poor decision?

So if you're willing to accept that these kind of goals won't be given in Europe, why are you arguing that the ref made a poor decision?

Try reading my post next time. If that kind of goal is given all the time in England, it becomes the norm. For you and your country, the norm is pussy football where the keepers have to much protection. It was a goal - to me and the rules I play by.

Try reading my post next time.  If that kind of goal is given all the time in England, it becomes the norm.  For you and your country, the norm is pussy football where the keepers have to much protection.  It was a goal - to me and the rules I play by.

Thought about staing out of international Football wen the international comunety is a bunch of england hating pussys that fight about pussy titles with their pussy teams and their pussy suporters annyway ?

If everything english is worth so much more why do you cry this much about loosing in such a pussy competition.

crybaby :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thought about staing out of international Football wen the international comunety is a bunch of england hating pussys that fight about pussy titles with their pussy teams and their pussy suporters annyway ?

If everything english is worth so much more why do you cry this much about loosing in such a pussy competition.

crybaby  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Love of the game? Believe it or not, I enjoyed the England games - even when we fucked up against France and Portugal after defending all the time.

You don't like your national team, so why watch an international tournament?

OMG IDIOT LOLZ!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Agent_Sm1th

Guest Wrestling_Man

I don't think it's the greatest sports moment of the 20th century, but it's right up there.